Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Backup question

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 02-03-2013, 02:07 PM

Junior Lounger

Backup question

The thing is that I am a jail-breaker so to speak and every time I update my ipad I lose all my music and non-paid for apps. So im wondering how can I go about backing up my ipad where I can back-up the music and videos on it as well as all of the app IPA's with the data I have from the games I play on my ipad or is their no way and I should use the syncing method in my itunes.

You see the thing is I have both an ipad and an ipod so I don't want to use the sync method for music and videos since they're songs and apps I have on one device, but I don't want on the other. I need help!

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:45 PM

I think the usual method of syncing is the best. You can select what music and apps you have on each device (we have 4 iPhones, 5 iPods, a Shuffle and an iPad, each with different music and apps) especially if you sync selected Playlists, Albums, Genre's or Artists.

If you use the normal sync, you should be able to tell iTunes to backup your device to your computer, and then when you update the device, you can restore from that backup and get all your stuff back.

You could also sync to the cloud for the iPad. 5 GB free from Apple.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 02-03-2013, 09:29 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmnews View Post
I think the usual method of syncing is the best. You can select what music and apps you have on each device (we have 4 iPhones, 5 iPods, a Shuffle and an iPad, each with different music and apps) especially if you sync selected Playlists, Albums, Genre's or Artists.

If you use the normal sync, you should be able to tell iTunes to backup your device to your computer, and then when you update the device, you can restore from that backup and get all your stuff back.

You could also sync to the cloud for the iPad. 5 GB free from Apple.
How do I choose what syncs where?
Old 02-03-2013, 09:49 PM

Plug in your device click on it.

If you have downloaded music or apps to the phone outside of iTunes, you should lick File->Transfer purchases.

Uncheck manually manage music. Click on the music tab and select what you want to sync. Click on the movies, books, podcast and tv shows tab repeating the process. In the apps tab select the apps you want to Have on your device. Then click the apply button to sync what you selected.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 02-03-2013, 10:55 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Plug in your device click on it.

If you have downloaded music or apps to the phone outside of iTunes, you should lick File->Transfer purchases.

Uncheck manually manage music. Click on the music tab and select what you want to sync. Click on the movies, books, podcast and tv shows tab repeating the process. In the apps tab select the apps you want to Have on your device. Then click the apply button to sync what you selected.
Thanks a lot. But my question is does backing up via itunes actually save app data as well? Cause I used to try to use back- up and it saved the apps i purchased but lost all of the game saved data as well as the music I made in my beatmaker 2 app.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:20 AM

Yes app data is backed up as well. Not 100% sure on the beatmaker.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:26 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Yes app data is backed up as well. Not 100% sure on the beatmaker.
Alright thanks

Topic: Backup question

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.