Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: How to best manage 4G usage

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 01-22-2013, 09:24 AM

Freshman Lounger

How to best manage 4G usage

Iím getting ready for my first road trip with my new iPad mini. I will be signing up for a Verizon 1 gig data plan for a month, & will only enable it when Iím not near a Wi-Fi hot spot.

My questions, I want to be sure when Iím using the 4G connection I donít have apps behaving badly & using up my data allotment.

Iíve read about the standard things saving like donít use iTunes or stream movies, etc. My email accounts are set to only poll when I ask for it.

I guess Iím looking for the less than obvious things to conserve 4G, like is less data used checking Gmail accounts via the web site or using the email app ?

Other questions:
Is there a way to stop informational apps like the weather channel from polling for data while on 4G?

How much data does a ďfreeĒ ad sponsored app use. I realize I cannot use the app while on 4G, but am curious.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:31 PM

1. There is not a way to monitor which apps are using wireless data. Your best bet is to just close them all.

2. There is absolutely no way to know how much data an ad filled app is going to use. It all depends on the type of ads, what other information the ad is pulling in (such as location services), etc. Your best guess is as good as anyone else's.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 02-13-2013, 01:32 PM

Senior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornchild2002 View Post
2. There is absolutely no way to know how much data an ad filled app is going to use. It all depends on the type of ads, what other information the ad is pulling in (such as location services), etc. Your best guess is as good as anyone else's.
Along those lines, although there is no way to block in-app ads, you can use a third party Web browser that uses ad-blocking filters to at least minimize data usage for ads when you're surfing the Web. I like the Mercury browser a lot, as well as Atomic.

Pod Almighty: Silver 120GB iPod Classic
Deer Park: 64GB iPod touch 3rd generation
iCaramba: 64GB 4G LTE iPad 3rd generation
Shure E4c ear buds
Music ripped with Exact Audio Copy, encoded with LAME at 192 VBR

Topic: How to best manage 4G usage

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.