Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iPad mini

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 11-02-2012, 02:29 PM

Pro Lounger

iPad mini

I really do no get it.
People are not doing any research? Apple sells something, anything new no questions are asked just here is my credit card?

If they did how can they justify spending $150 to $200 more than other products which have better specs?

Yet they lined up for this over priced under powered device in New York.

Just do not understand.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:53 PM

Senior Lounger

System performance is not based solely upon specifications alone. At the time, the 4s was underspec from competitors, yet outperforming.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:28 PM

Although tech specs are not everything, they do makeup for something. The iPhone 5 is a prime example of specs, on paper, not meaning much as its A6 processor is easily beating out other quad-core ARM chips that should technically be performing better. That being said, the iPad mini is using hardware that is over a year old now (almost two years). The A5 processor was first introduced in the iPad 2 early last year (2011). Give it another year and apps will start being optimized for the A6 and A6X in the iPhone 5 and iPad 4 (respectively). That means that app experiences on the iPad 2, iPad 3 (maybe), the iPhone 4S, and the 5G iPod touch will start becoming rather dull compared to the newer hardware of the A6, A6X, and whatever else SoC configurations Apple uses in their next lineup of devices (likely an A7 and A7X).

The iPad mini would be alright if it was at least running the A5X SoC as that is still relatively new and shouldn't be outdated for another 1.5-2 years but instead it is running the same hardware as the iPad 2. At the time, the iPad 2 was the top tablet performer. Now it ranks somewhere in the middle and will soon represent the bottom of the spectrum when it comes to big name tablet manufacturers.

Although I do agree that the extra $150 price of the iPad mini seems a little ridiculous, it helps to look at the added cost as an entry fee into the App Store. The Google Play Store and Amazon App Marketplace do not offer the 250,000+ tablet apps that Apple offers in the App Store. On top of that, many Android tablet apps tend to be crappy iOS ports and/or scaled up versions of their Android equivalents (which can also be crappy iOS ports from the iPhone/iPod touch). Not only that but those $199 tablets don't offer the same build quality as the iPad, the smart sleep/wake feature (which is still awesome, I don't care what anyone else says), can't match the cameras on the iPad mini, and manufacturer support from Android tablets is hit or miss. Google issues Android updates but the manufacturers have to skin each and every update and then distribute them. The Nexus 7 is a little different but who knows how long Google is going to support that with Android updates. It might be 3 years or it could only be one year especially if they come out with a new Nexus 7 next year and every year after that.

Either way, I think the iPad mini's price could have been shaved down by $50 so that it sat at $299. That extra $100 would be solid enough to cover entry into the App Store, use a tablet with a 4X3 display that is perfect for reading, use a tablet that has solid build quality, and use something that will have a solid two years of