Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iPad mini

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 11-02-2012, 02:29 PM

Pro Lounger

iPad mini

I really do no get it.
People are not doing any research? Apple sells something, anything new no questions are asked just here is my credit card?

If they did how can they justify spending $150 to $200 more than other products which have better specs?

Yet they lined up for this over priced under powered device in New York.

Just do not understand.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:53 PM

Senior Lounger

System performance is not based solely upon specifications alone. At the time, the 4s was underspec from competitors, yet outperforming.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:28 PM

Although tech specs are not everything, they do makeup for something. The iPhone 5 is a prime example of specs, on paper, not meaning much as its A6 processor is easily beating out other quad-core ARM chips that should technically be performing better. That being said, the iPad mini is using hardware that is over a year old now (almost two years). The A5 processor was first introduced in the iPad 2 early last year (2011). Give it another year and apps will start being optimized for the A6 and A6X in the iPhone 5 and iPad 4 (respectively). That means that app experiences on the iPad 2, iPad 3 (maybe), the iPhone 4S, and the 5G iPod touch will start becoming rather dull compared to the newer hardware of the A6, A6X, and whatever else SoC configurations Apple uses in their next lineup of devices (likely an A7 and A7X).

The iPad mini would be alright if it was at least running the A5X SoC as that is still relatively new and shouldn't be outdated for another 1.5-2 years but instead it is running the same hardware as the iPad 2. At the time, the iPad 2 was the top tablet performer. Now it ranks somewhere in the middle and will soon represent the bottom of the spectrum when it comes to big name tablet manufacturers.

Although I do agree that the extra $150 price of the iPad mini seems a little ridiculous, it helps to look at the added cost as an entry fee into the App Store. The Google Play Store and Amazon App Marketplace do not offer the 250,000+ tablet apps that Apple offers in the App Store. On top of that, many Android tablet apps tend to be crappy iOS ports and/or scaled up versions of their Android equivalents (which can also be crappy iOS ports from the iPhone/iPod touch). Not only that but those $199 tablets don't offer the same build quality as the iPad, the smart sleep/wake feature (which is still awesome, I don't care what anyone else says), can't match the cameras on the iPad mini, and manufacturer support from Android tablets is hit or miss. Google issues Android updates but the manufacturers have to skin each and every update and then distribute them. The Nexus 7 is a little different but who knows how long Google is going to support that with Android updates. It might be 3 years or it could only be one year especially if they come out with a new Nexus 7 next year and every year after that.

Either way, I think the iPad mini's price could have been shaved down by $50 so that it sat at $299. That extra $100 would be solid enough to cover entry into the App Store, use a tablet with a 4X3 display that is perfect for reading, use a tablet that has solid build quality, and use something that will have a solid two years of support.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 11-02-2012, 09:41 PM

Veteran Lounger

Apple is probably just "feeling" out the market. Over price it and see how well it does. My prediction is if it sells well the next generation or 2 down the road will have a retinal display and the bigger chips which they will be able to sell at that price point without a price increase. In Apple style, if you want the product bad enough you will pay for it or wait till it meets the specs you want.

64GB iPad 3, 64GB iPhone 5s, 1G 16GB touch, 4G & 6G Silver 16GB nano, 5G 60GB iPod, 1G AppleTV, 2G ATV, Late 2013 27" iMac
Old 11-03-2012, 07:36 AM

Junior Lounger

I ordered 2 Minis for my kids because it's just their size. What I can't figure out is that it's essentially the same as iPad 2, so why doesn't the iPad 2 have Siri as the Mini? Sometimes Apple just don't make sense...
Old 11-03-2012, 07:48 AM

Apple always does that. The iPhone 4 could support Siri yet it never came out for it. It is a matter of Apple pushing people towards one iPad or another. Siri was a way to try to get people with an iPhone 4 to upgrade to the iPhone 4S. The iPad 2 isn't seeing all of the updates that iOS 6 has to offer yet the iPad 3, iPad 4, and iPad mini all have the same iOS 6 functionality.

Apple has always come out with a new software feature for newer hardware regardless of how powerful the hardware is. It's a way for Apple to push people towards either the iPad mini or the iPad 4. My best guess is that they have a large remaining stock of iPad 2's and they are trying to get rid of them or the manufacturing cost of the iPad 2 is so low that keeping it on the market makes financial sense.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 11-03-2012, 09:15 AM

Senior Lounger

I would not say it's overpriced. However, it's priced in such a fashion that Apple can keep making upgrades to the product line, and keep the same pricing structure.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:44 AM

Junior Lounger

I went down to my local Apple Store yesterday and purchased an iPad Mini in white, 32GB. With tax, the price was $472. I have one word to describe it - "excellence".

My old iPad will now be used solely as part of my home music studio (as a MIDI programmer for various synthesizers and sound modules). I REALLY like the excellent build quality and perfect size of the Mini. Typing with it is a real joy, even in landscape mode. I know it's not a retina display, but with the same resolution as the larger iPad squeezed down to 7.9", the display is sharp enough for me. Comparing my new Mini with my Nook 8GB Tablet would be like comparing a Cadillac with a Ford Gremlin. Yes, the build quality is THAT good!

All of the iPad apps I had on my iPad 1 work with the Mini. I have a couple of apps on my iPad that are iPhone only apps (like the "iFighter" game), which must be run in 2x mode, but it actually looks pretty good on the Mini (but grainy on the full-sized iPad).

The Wi-Fi connectivity has been improved as well. I use my iPhone to create a personal hotspot for the iPad. With my iPad 1, the connection would drop at random, and at least once per session, and not too long after I set it up. The Mini will maintain the connection. I was using the hotspot for over an hour yesterday with no disconnection problems.

Bottom line: I don't feel like I overpaid for the Mini, as some have suggested in this thread. The only Apple product I've loved more at the time of purchase is my iPhone 5.

For those of you on the fence as to whether or not you'll buy the Mini, I urge you to go to an Apple Store and handle one. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised, and you might just end up walking out with one.

iPhone 5 white 32GB, iPad Mini white 32GB.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:34 AM

Freshman Lounger

I think way too much is made about specs both on the high and low end. It is more about the actual experience that buyers have with the product. No the iPad mini does not have a retina display, but the display it has is certainly not horrible as some folks exaggerate.

I have found I am using the mini in ways I never used my iPad 3. Plugging it into my car audio system via a USB port which allows me to control music playback via my own library or Pandora.

It is small yet capable enough the I took it to meeting to take notes and to read and reply to emails. I was able to review and approve some contracts today.

Then tonight I've done some reading in bed, watched some YouTube vids, got my sleep music playing to my airplay enabled speaker, which will shut off in an hour by the timer and the alarm will wake me.

I love this thing. And the lower resolution is simply just not an issue. I think people are ridiculous when it comes to their inability to put experience above specs and real usability.

DAB
Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Old 11-06-2012, 08:26 AM

Senior Lounger

I don't read too many complaints over the iPad screen as compared to the iPhone much.

iPhone is 326ppi
iPad is 264ppi

Both are considered 'retina' based upon the typical distance of the device from you in use.

And as far as performance, the A5 in the Mini does not have to push a Retina screen, so will not get taxed as much. This is my guess why the performance tests of the iPad 3 are not much more than the Mini as well.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:55 PM

The GPU tests of the A5X show it going way beyond the capabilities of the A5. The CPU tests of the SoC are a tie between the two. That makes sense though as the A5X is the same as an A5 but has twice as powerful graphics to push the retina display and more advanced graphics at that higher resolution. They are the same when it comes to general number crunching but the A5X pulls ahead with graphics. Although the iPad mini doesn't have the same resolution as the iPad 3/4, putting the A5X in it would have allowed for faster loading and smoother performance of graphically intense apps (i.e. games) giving it some longevity over the standard A5 especially considering that developers are going to start pushing things ahead to fully take advantage of the A5X and then move onto the A6 and A6X sometime next year. It normally takes developers a solid year before they begin to take advantage of newer hardware and then another 6-12 months after that before the older hardware (slightly) begins to show its age.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:11 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornchild2002 View Post
...the iPad mini is using hardware that is over a year old now (almost two years). The A5 processor was first introduced in the iPad 2 early last year (2011). Give it another year and apps will start being optimized for the A6 and A6X in the iPhone 5 and iPad 4 (respectively). That means that app experiences on the iPad 2, iPad 3 (maybe), the iPhone 4S, and the 5G iPod touch will start becoming rather dull compared to the newer hardware of the A6, A6X, and whatever else SoC configurations Apple uses in their next lineup of devices (likely an A7 and A7X).
Knowing this, and looking at the pricetag it just seems like a waste of money even for new users.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:25 PM

Reclined Lounger

You only "know" that because you read it here. I think if you lined all of the 7" tablets up side by side and took a picture with raw specs underneath, the mini might not win out.

But put them side by side and actually use them and it's a whole new ball game. The mini is light, but solid and doesn't feel like a shoddy build. The screen has a great resolution, even if it isn't retina. It's faster than other things I've played with (if I even can, I don't understand how a store can think it's going to sell a product that isn't working at the demo station--NEVER see that in an Apple store). I love my iPad 3 and had planned to sell it when I got the mini for Christmas, but I found I love having both of them. Just an excellent little piece of handiwork.

It has all the apps I want, none that I don't. It's small enough to use in the car (the full size is a little large unless you're talking back seat for a kid). TV and movies look great on it, and it's a better size to take to the gym.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:35 AM

runningbear30
Banned

I looked at the new apple iPad mini but it has the same processor as the iPad2 and not the new Retina screen. It's neat and does a good job as a small tablet, but at it's high price I did not think it would work for me. But many others who have bought them are very happy with them. So I am not putting the Apple mini down, just posting what I found and my thoughts. I bought the Apple iPad4 and it is more of what I wanted in an iPad.

Topic: iPad mini

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.