Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: How can I transfer videos from PC to iPad?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 05-11-2012, 03:25 PM

Freshman Lounger

How can I transfer videos from PC to iPad?

Please, iLoungers, you're my only hope. I have Googled everywhere and searched the forums here and have still not figured out how to get videos from my Windows desktop PC to my iPad 3. I tried synching through iTunes, but nothing happened. I also tried copying & pasting or dragging and dropping into the iPad folder when connecting the iPad to my computer, but that didn't work either. I have several videos in different formats that I convert with Handbrake, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to load them on the iPad.

Thanks in advance

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:50 PM

You need to open iTunes and add the videos to your iTunes library. iTunes can only sync content to your iPad if it is actually in your iTunes library. So first do that. Then setup your iPad for proper syncing. We can help you but we need to know how you are syncing content to your iPad. Are you manually adding content by dragging-and-dropping it through iTunes or are you just plugging your iPad in and letting iTunes sync everything?

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 05-11-2012, 08:38 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thank you. I added the videos to iTunes by clicking "add file to library" and they show on iTunes on the PC but not the iPad even though after synching it said "synch complete".

Oh! The first time I didn't reencode the videos before adding to iTunes because I bought an app that can play any format on the iPad. Was that the cause? Will iTunes not transfer the videos if they're not in an acceptable iPad format?

Thanks for helping me!
Old 05-12-2012, 01:17 AM

Senior Lounger

If they can't be played on the iPad, iTunes won't sync them to the iPad.

Convert the videos and add them to your iTunes library. They'll show up under Movies. Drag them from there to the iPad.

Pod Almighty: Silver 120GB iPod Classic
Deer Park: 64GB iPod touch 3rd generation
iCaramba: 64GB 4G LTE iPad 3rd generation
Shure E4c ear buds
Music ripped with Exact Audio Copy, encoded with LAME at 192 VBR
Old 05-12-2012, 01:39 AM

Freshman Lounger

Thank you. I'll do that when I get home in a few hours. When you say drag them, do you mean drag them to the iPad folder that pops up when I connect the iPad to my PC? Just synching through iTunes won't do it?
Old 05-12-2012, 07:46 AM

Videos that won't work with the iPad's native video playback app (whose compatibility is listed on the iPad website) can't be synced over with iTunes. You need to convert them using Handbrake if you want to use the iPad's native playback capabilities. However, it sounds like you have already done this. Other video playback apps can work with non-native compatible videos. You don't sync them over the usual way though. You can to go through a convoluted process that many people find confusing. It is just easier to convert your videos and let iTunes sync them over the normal way.

You still didn't answer my question though. Your library has converted iPad compatible videos. How are you trying to sync those over? Are you manually doing it or letting iTunes automatically sync them? You already solved half of your problem by converting the videos, now you just need to get them on your iPad.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 05-12-2012, 08:28 AM

Freshman Lounger

Okay, I converted some videos with Handbrake and added them to the iTunes library for my iPad that's on my desktop computer. I attached the iPad to the desktop computer with the USB cable and did a manual sync (meaning I clicked under "File" in iTunes and then clicked "sync iPad") but there is still nothing on the iPad. I also tried dragging & dropping and copying & pasting the new video files to the iPad folder that popped up when I connected the iPad to the computer with the USB, but still can't get a video on the iPad.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:26 AM

Don't do anything in the folder that comes up whenever you plug your iPad in. That is ONLY so you can copy photos off of the iPad that were either taken with the iPad's camera or saved from the iPad's browser. It is NOT used for syncing content to and from the iPad. What you need to do is plug your iPad into your computer with iTunes open. Wait for iTunes to recognize it, iTunes should then show you the main iPad window within iTunes (you should see a picture of your iPad). Click on the Movies tab near the top. Then select the option to Sync Movies. From there, you can either have iTunes sync all of the movies in your iTunes library, ones that haven't been watched, or you can pick and choose which ones you want. There are YouTube videos out there that can help you, I found a handful of them offering a visual guide.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:40 AM

Freshman Lounger

kornchild2002, thank you, that worked! I'm watching videos on my iPad right now! I haven't posted much in my 6 years here, but you guys always bail me out when I get stuck trying to figure out how to do something. Thanks again!
Old 05-15-2012, 06:10 AM

Their problem was already solved. Besides, Handbrake is a much better converter than Super.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:51 AM

Freshman Lounger

You can go through this link to download the video converter from pc to iPad wondersharedotcom->media-transfer->convert-video-to-ipad
Old 05-20-2012, 11:03 PM

Freshman Lounger

I was having a similar problem. What I found was when I clicked on watch movie from iTunes, it could not find the movie. Don't know why as I haven't changed locations, just upgraded to new ois. After locating movies, it asked did I want to find similar missing files, clicking on yes found them all and they are now downloading to my i Pad.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:15 PM

Freshman Lounger

How can i transfer videos from pc to ipad?

You will need to use itunes on your computer , with them you can manage the data from itunes on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. When syncing with your computer, you can sync with the USB cable that came with your device, or over Wi-Fi when the computer and iOS device are on the same Wi-Fi network. But transferring videos , you can check that on apple’s support to get further information. Or just simply google iPad to Computer Transfer to get some useful tools.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:57 PM

Freshman Lounger

freemake video converter works for me on my ipad 2
it converts videos and has an option to apple and if you have itunes on your computer it will send them to it and you just upload them as normal.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:08 AM

Forhad11
Banned

I usually do this all the time by using itunes. I only synchronise my iPad and PC using the iTunes software on PC and select the photos/albums/folders which i want to copy. So its easy to use, just drag´n drop.

Topic: How can I transfer videos from PC to iPad?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.