Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Differences between ibooks and kindle apps??

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 03-21-2012, 04:46 PM

Freshman Lounger

Differences between ibooks and kindle apps??

I just purchased an ipad and am a little confused about stores for ebooks.

I know you can buy ebooks through the apple store, but notice there is also a kindle app available for the ipad.

Aer there any difference between the way purchased ebooks are viewed on an ipad if downloaded on the kindle app vs ibooks from the apple store.

Simply stated ...is one store better than the other, or are the file formats similar when viewed on the ipad.

Thanks for your help!

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:48 PM

They will both look pretty similar. iBooks tends to be flashier as it has smoother page animations and actually supports fully animated books (you can download a free book called Yellow Submarine to see an example of this).

Seeing as you have an iPad, why not go with both? Just pick whichever one gives you the lowest price and download the book through that. Kindle has an advantage over the iBookstore in that regards as it is often less expensive (by $1-$2). Kindle will also work with any PC or Mac whereas iBooks is just for your iPad. However, there are some releases in the iBookstore that are lower than through the Amazon Kindle service.

You can't really go wrong with either one.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 03-21-2012, 08:36 PM

Freshman Lounger

Kindle app has no store feature??

As always, thanks for your help.

I have the kindle app but see nothing in it that indicates how to make a purchase. How can I buy an ebook from amazon and have it automatically download onto my ipad, and appear when I open the kindle app?
Old 03-24-2012, 04:50 AM

Lounge Lizard

To purchase a book for use in the Kindle app, you have to go to Amazon.com in Safari, and purchase the book through the website.

32GB iPhone 4, 160GB Classic, 16GB 6G Nano, iBasso D5 Hj
Senn PX100-II, HD25-1, Grado HF-1, Beyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350
Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9, ATH ES10, ATH-CM707, ATH-AD2000
ATH-CKM99

Topic: Differences between ibooks and kindle apps??

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.