Does iTunes backup backup iPad's content and apps?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

thenrich

Even Apple sometimes doesn't produce very clear documentation. I am trying to update my iPad to iOS 5. I already did a backup. The update then tells me it will delete all the app and media including the store purchases.

The update page on Apple's site says iTunes does not backup media files such as movies, music, apps and TV shows. The update steps includes a restore from a backup after the update.

This is not 100% clear to me. I want to do an update and not lose anything. So does a backup restore after an update put back all my media content or not? Does the backup function backup media content?

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
Yes, sometimes Apple's tech writing leaves a lot to be desired (ever read their AirPort manuals? Ay yi yi!) Anyway, in "Apple-speak" a backup (with respect to an i-device) is the saving of everything except content (music, video, podcasts, and apps). What is backed up is the device's data (i.e. device settings, app data, messaging history, etc.) and misc files (Camera Roll, file attachments you've saved, etc.) ... so a backup is essentially everything except content.

Since the device's content often comes from your iTunes library, items already in your library don't need to be backed up before you do an iOS update (other than your computer backup, which everyone should do routinely).

For purchased iTunes content that you bought directly with your device and have not yet transferred to your library, that is transferred whenever you connect to iTunes and sync your device, or do a wi-fi sync (also, as part of the sync process your device is "backed up" as described above).

If you manually manage the contents of your device, iTunes purchases are also transferred to your library via the sync process. However, content that you obtain from other sources is never transferred to your library by iTunes -- for that you need a 3rd party application.

So to fully backup your device before you do an iOS update, simply do an iTunes sync to transfer any purchases that haven't yet been transferred, and backup your device's data. For any content that you obtained from some other library, that will need to be transferred to your library using other means if you want to keep it.

Hopefully that makes more sense than Apple's literature.

Last edited:

jenjeniffer

Website
www.ipadfiletransfer.co.uk
iTunes Can Easily Backup iPad Content

Yes! Of Course iTunes can easily backup iPad contents. It can sync iPad content to your PC or any other device. But if you can't perform sync operation using iTunes, then you can take help of third party iPad File Transfer Software that helps you to transfer your iPad data to your PC and PC data to iPad. It has simple user-friendly interface that helps you to perform the task very easily.