Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Streaming Music via Airplay to iPad: Remote App or iTunes?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 07-19-2011, 02:47 PM

Freshman Lounger

Question Streaming Music via Airplay to iPad: Remote App or iTunes?

With the recent updates, it seems like they both do the job of streaming music from my MacBook Pro iTunes Library to my airport express speakers. I was wondering if there are limitations on each app that makes one better than
another.

Examples:

Is it more efficient from a bandwidth perspective to stream using Remote than the iPod app (on the iPad)?

Are there any feature that one app has that the other doesn't? I think you can create genius playlists while using the Remote app, but not on the iPod app (if your music library is not on the iPad)

Are there other pros/cons for each app?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:40 PM

From what I understand, bandwidth is less restrictive when using the remote app as you are relying solely on your computer for the source of the streaming music. When using the iPod app and Home Sharing, the music is being streamed from your MacBook Pro (MBP) to your iPad and then it is being instantly streamed to your AirPort Express. So you are essentially streaming to two devices at the same time instead of one. Of course, even when accessing PCM WAV or AIFF audio, this isn't a problem for 802.11g. It has a theoretical maximum of about 54Mbps but the most I ever got out of my old AirPort was about 15Mbps, maybe 18Mbps on a good day. Still, the audio is being streamed using Apple Lossless and takes up 1.2Mbps at most so you essentially have enough bandwidth to stream up to 10 devices on an 802.11g network, that number drastically increases if you are on 802.11n.

Personally, I see no need to stream from the MBP to your iPad and then from your iPad to the AirPort Express. Might as well just use the Remote app to stream directly from your MBP. Not only will it tax your network less but your iPad won't constantly be playing and streaming content at once allowing it to last longer on a single charge.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 07-19-2011, 05:00 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornchild2002 View Post
Personally, I see no need to stream from the MBP to your iPad and then from your iPad to the AirPort Express. Might as well just use the Remote app to stream directly from your MBP. Not only will it tax your network less but your iPad won't constantly be playing and streaming content at once allowing it to last longer on a single charge.
That's kind of what I was thinking, but wanted a second opinion, thanks kornchild2002.

Any other pros/cons for using one app for music streaming over the other?
Old 07-19-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornchild2002
Personally, I see no need to stream from the MBP to your iPad and then from your iPad to the AirPort Express.
I don't even think that is possible. You can:

1- Stream from MBP to the Express as an AirPlay device using only the MBP, or

2- Stream from MBP to the Express as an AirPlay device, using Remote on an i-device to control MBP, or

3- Stream from MBP to an i-device (with iOS 4.3+) using AirPlay, or

4- Stream from an i-device (with iOS 4.2+) to the Express as an Airplay device, or

5- HomeShare from your MBP library to an i-device with iOS 4.3+ (i.e. access the MBP library from the i-device).

(I realize the OP wasn't talking about #3-5, just included them for completeness.)

What you can't do is a combination of #3 and #4, or #5 and #4, i.e. stream from the MBP to an i-device and then route the stream from the i-device to an Express (or ATV2).

My understanding is that in none of those combinations does the media stream between all three devices, only between the source to the destination. If Remote is used (i.e. #2) then the data presented to Remote is not the media stream itself, just the artwork (or whatever you're viewing) on Remote. There may be additional network traffic while you use Remote to view the MBP library and/or make new selections or change a song's rating, but from a practical standpoint I don't think there's any significant difference on network load with any of these methods.

As far as which method is better over another, that depends on which room you're in But seriously, if you're using Remote then you can change songs, playlists, or create a Genius playlist on the fly, but I don't think you can create a playlist on your MBP using Remote on your iPad. Of course, if you're sitting at your MBP streaming out to an AirPlay device, you can do anything you want.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:25 PM

Married Man of Mystery

I would use home sharing within the iTunes app over the remote app if I was trying to stream music to my iPad or my iPhone. I prefer to just use the remote as a remote.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:18 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmyplimsoul View Post
I don't even think that is possible. You can:

1- Stream from MBP to the Express as an AirPlay device using only the MBP, or

2- Stream from MBP to the Express as an AirPlay device, using Remote on an i-device to control MBP, or

3- Stream from MBP to an i-device (with iOS 4.3+) using AirPlay, or

4- Stream from an i-device (with iOS 4.2+) to the Express as an Airplay device, or

5- HomeShare from your MBP library to an i-device with iOS 4.3+ (i.e. access the MBP library from the i-device).

(I realize the OP wasn't talking about #3-5, just included them for completeness.)

What you can't do is a combination of #3 and #4, or #5 and #4, i.e. stream from the MBP to an i-device and then route the stream from the i-device to an Express (or ATV2).

Actually, the way I had it set up this morning, I was streaming music from my MBP iTunes library using Home Sharing to my iPad's iPod app, and then streaming (via Airplay) to my Airport Express speakers and controlling songs from my iPad (I can also do this using the Remote app).

Last edited by hobbes8calvin; 07-20-2011 at 02:03 AM.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes8calvin View Post
Actually, the way I had it set up this morning, I was streaming music from my MBP iTunes library using Home Sharing to my iPad's iPod app, and then streaming (via Airplay) to my Airport Express speakers and controlling songs from my iPad (I also can also do this using the Remote app).
Really? I didn't think you could HomeShare and AirPlay simultaneously from the same device. In that case, using Remote on the iPad to control your MBP would be the way to go if network traffic is an issue for you.

But if the load on the network is not an issue, the downside to Remote is that it will temporarily lose connection to your MBP after a period of time (but recovers once you get its attention). So if you need to suddenly use Remote to pause or turn down the music, there may be a bit of latency. If you're HomeSharing to your iPad, you have immediate access to make playback changes.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:47 AM

Yep, you can Home Share songs and videos to an iPad and then instruct the iPad to send the audio to an AirPlay device all at the same time on the same devices. I have done this a few times with my AppleTV 2 and AirPort Express Basestation (both the 802.11g and 802.11n versions). I was in my bedroom accessing my iTunes library on my MBP through Home Sharing on my iPad 2. I then saw something I wanted to play and it started automatically streaming to my AppleTV 2 to my TV in there since that was the last AirPlay device I was streaming to. So it was streaming from my MBP to my iPad 2 via Home Sharing and then streaming to my Apple TV 2 from my iPad 2 via AirPlay.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)

Topic: Streaming Music via Airplay to iPad: Remote App or iTunes?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.