Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Album Artwork in Playlist View on iPad Apple Remote

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 01-20-2011, 01:13 PM

Freshman Lounger

Smile Album Artwork in Playlist View on iPad Apple Remote

I'd appreciate if someone can answer this question for me...

I don't yet have an iPad, but when viewing your iTunes library from Apple Remote can you further sort a playlist by Album, Artist, Genre etc... and can you view the album artwork from the playlist, i.e. like you can from iTunes?

Many thanks for your help!

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:27 PM

Married Man of Mystery

Welcome to iLounge, Silvertrack

I can't say I've tried playlist view on the remote app, but I'll give it a go and get back to you (assuming someone else who has tried it doesn't get back to your first.)
Old 01-20-2011, 05:02 PM

Veteran Lounger

While we await Mr Infamy's empirical report.....

I'm using Remote on a touch, so it looks completely different than on an iPad.... But from the screenshots I see online, it looks like the answer to all your questions is, "Yes." Here's a couple of good samplings: one, two (on the second link, click on iPad to far right of caption "Screenshots").
Old 01-20-2011, 08:35 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks, I think my question would be better phrased as... are the "Songs", Albums" and "Genre" buttons available once you select a playlist. The result I'm looking for with album artwork is to have the album grid structure like you do when the "Music" folder is selected.

The reason is for a smart playlist I've created for recently added items. But I want to see what I've added visually with album artwork, rather than having to read a list... so just like I would if I had a pile of new CDs in the corner of the room!
Old 01-21-2011, 09:44 AM

Veteran Lounger

Yeah, I couldn't find a screenshot of any playlist other than the Music list (which is itself a playlist). But I see no reason why other playlists shouldn't also display Grid view with all the buttons.

(For instance, the Music app is essentially an "iTunes Lite" hosted on the iPad; the iPad's memory-challenged mobile processor has to do almost all of the work of playback, sorting, control and display, helped out only by iTunes having pre-digested the artwork prior to loading and maintaining the iPad's music database. The Remote app is a totally different critter, more like an alternate UI to the iTunes program on the computer. When you ask the Remote app to do things -- play a track, display a playlist, even search -- it's actually iTunes doing all the work and sending some information to the iPad, which simply has to draw the results to its screen. Thus, if iTunes is now capable of sending Grid view data for the Music playlist to an iPad-hosted Remote app, there's no added strain on the iPad to get the same kind of data for all other playlists.)

But, we'll know for sure when the kiwi reports back ;-)
Old 01-25-2011, 02:42 AM

Married Man of Mystery

Ok, the answer appears to be 'no.'

The only editing option for the remote playlist is changing the order of songs.

I don't really use playlists that often, as I said, so this isn't an issue for me, but I can understand it being annoying.

Sorry for the late reply.

EDIT: 'Now Playing' album artwork still works just fine.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:48 AM

Veteran Lounger

Just making sure.... The Music list can be displayed by iPad's Remote app in Grid View (as shown here), but all other playlists are displayed only as lists, with no Grid View available? (The OP was moer about using the grid view category buttons for visual sorting.)

Man, that's a letdown; bad Apple.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:27 PM

I am pretty sure that is correct. I am not home right now so I can't confirm anything but I remember things were like that when I last ran the remote app on my iPad. I could view my library as the grid with the album art (which I find to be completely useless) but all playlists (whether I created them myself or they were smart playlists) would be displayed as a list only. I don't remember there being an option to change the way a playlist was viewed but I could be completely wrong about that.

I didn't really care about that either as I have always viewed my music as a list. It goes back to my days in 1998 using my Rio 600 syncing software, MusicMatch, Windows Media Player, and then eventually the first release of iTunes for Windows (which was a list only at the time). I have used the list view for 13 years now and I don't plan on changing to any of the new views offered by iTunes. Then again, that is just me.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)

Topic: Album Artwork in Playlist View on iPad Apple Remote

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.