Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iPad OtterBox Defender - Data/Headphone extension cord available?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 10-10-2010, 01:34 PM

Freshman Lounger

Question iPad OtterBox Defender - Data/Headphone extension cord available?

I just got an iPad and got an OtterBox Defender. GREAT case.

Very robust. iPad was stepped on by a grown man and survived unscathed. (note to self move iPad and son to lower traffic ares next time.)

The selling point for me and the iPad was the Square credit card reader.

Without the OtterBox Defender on the Ipad the Square credit cad reader works great! But with the OtterBox Defender securely in place the Square credit card reader no longer fits in the headphone / data port on the iPad.

The OtterBox Defender puts a rubber enclosed metal frame around the iPad preventing the Square reader from connecting to the headphone / data.

Is anyone aware of an extension cord available for the iPad that keeps the data portion of the cord intact? I have found hundreds of extension cords but all are simply for the headphone jack.

I got the iPad so I could run credit cards etc. But I'll be using it in a high traffic area and need the protection of the OtterBox. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:29 PM

Freshman Lounger

Cable

I am having the same issue! This is frustrating. I am going to continue to search and will let you know when I find something.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:44 PM

Freshman Lounger

Maybe...

I found a bunch of potential cables on Amazon. Just search "iPhone Headphones Adapter" and a bunch of male to female cables will show up most with 3 rings... Not sure if any will work but a bunch have free shipping. Unfortunately they all look pretty crappy... but if they're only a dollar or so with free shipping and end up working I'll just order 10!

I guess I'll order one or two and see. Apparently the difference is that Apple uses the 3rd wire as the ground... which is unconventional. It's worth a shot..
Old 10-19-2010, 01:19 PM

Freshman Lounger

No Go

The cable from Amazon did not work... on to more searching!
Old 03-01-2011, 05:40 PM

Freshman Lounger

founf the ifrogz fitz to solve this problem

search for ifrogz fitz

There's a review here on ilounge and you can buy them from veebee dot com
Old 04-03-2013, 08:32 AM

Freshman Lounger

3.5mm audio extension cable to work with mobile credit card readers

We had the same problem and we tried about 30 cables. Then we found a cable called CellPay audio extension cable otterbox compatible and it works 100% of the time. Now we don't have to take our case off and we have tried it with a few different 3.5mm credit card readers (Square, PayPal Here, Intuit and even 2 others).

I have tons of cables that don't work and are cheap this one I've abused and it's still working without any damage. Just google CellPay 3.5mm audio extension cable or look on Amazon as they won't let me post a link.

Topic: iPad OtterBox Defender - Data/Headphone extension cord available?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.