Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Transfer Notes, Calendars, Contacts from iPod Touch?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 08-22-2010, 08:24 AM

Senior Lounger

Transfer Notes, Calendars, Contacts from iPod Touch?

Hello,
I recently purchased an iPad WiFi 3G unit. I've been using an iPod Touch for my calendars, notes, and contacts, and I want to have all that information also on my iPad (either sync or transfer).

I might be missing something really obvious, but can someone tell me the best way to do this?

Thanks!

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:06 AM

Senior Lounger

Hello,
OK, I have figured out how to copy my contacts into the iPad (exported from Thunderbird into GMail, then into the iPad). For my Notes, I just e-mailed them to myself.

But can someone explain how to get all my calendar entries transferred from the iPod Touch into the iPad? That seems to be more complicated.

Thanks!

CURRENT STUFF: iMac 27" Core i3; iPad 16GB WiFi 3G; iPod Touch 16GB; Airport Extreme; 2010 Mac Mini, iPod Classic
PAST STUFF: iPod 5G, 160 GB Apple TV
Old 08-26-2010, 11:53 PM

Veteran Lounger

Most of this is just plain simple for Mac users, so I do feel for the Windows users. I would look to Google again. You should be able to accomplish it by syncing to Google Calendar.

64GB iPad 3, 64GB iPhone 5s, 1G 16GB touch, 4G & 6G Silver 16GB nano, 5G 60GB iPod, 1G AppleTV, 2G ATV, Late 2013 27" iMac
Old 08-27-2010, 08:10 AM

Senior Lounger

Sparkee,
Thanks for the reply, but I don't think this is a Windows/Mac issue. I have calendar entries I've been keeping on my iPod Touch, and I want to transfer them to my iPad, and I'm going through iTunes. It's all Apple stuff!

What it boils down to is, I just want to know how to copy (not sync) the calendars from my iPod Touch to my iPad. I plan on using my iPad for all calendars from now on.

Thanks,
Matthew

CURRENT STUFF: iMac 27" Core i3; iPad 16GB WiFi 3G; iPod Touch 16GB; Airport Extreme; 2010 Mac Mini, iPod Classic
Old 08-27-2010, 10:44 AM

Veteran Lounger

It is kind of a Mac and Windows thing since you can not copy this info from one iPod to another simply using iTunes. Calendars, Notes (through the Macs Mail app) and Contacts are easily transfered between iPods by syncing to the apps already on an Apple computer through iTunes. iTunes uses apps on the computer's operating system to copy the info between devices. If you are using all Apple stuff including the computer you simply sync the this info to the apps on the Mac using the touch's Info tab in it's sync settings in iTunes. If you use a Windows computer you would have use the appropriate apps there, Outlook I think but I'm not a Windows user, however I don't think Notes can be synced on a PC.

In any event if you are only keeping this info on the iPad or iPod and not syncing it to another source you will lose this info eventually. Syncing to other sources will give you a back up in event the iPod/iPad is lost or suffers a hardware or software failure. Syncing calendars and contacts off my iPods to the appropriate programs on my Mac through iTunes also gives me a copy on my computer as well as the other iPods. It will also simplify transfering this info if and when I ever do get an iPhone and/or iPad.

So yes, I would say it is a Windows or Mac thing since you need more than just iTunes.

64GB iPad 3, 64GB iPhone 5s, 1G 16GB touch, 4G & 6G Silver 16GB nano, 5G 60GB iPod, 1G AppleTV, 2G ATV, Late 2013 27" iMac
Old 08-27-2010, 02:42 PM

Senior Lounger

Sparkee,
Well, of course, it would be easy if I just moved over to Macs!

It's funny, over the past three years I've slowly added more and more Apple devices to my home (see my signature) but I've resisted changing my main computer over. My main reason for hesitating is because I use OpenOffice, which totally replaces Microsoft Office.

My iPod Touch is backed up regularly on iTunes, and I assume the backup includes calendars, and I assume my iPad calendars would also be backed up the same way?

Thank you for your input!

Matt

Old 08-28-2010, 12:35 AM

Veteran Lounger

There probably is a copy of the calendar and contacta in the iPod/iPad back up, but it's hard to tell exactly what is in this back up and how much. I would feel safer with a copy I can physically see in a program. You might be interested in this Google Help document I found that will enable syncing to a Google account including mail, contacts and calendars. It actually looks like a pretty good alternative that may help you copy this info to future mobile devices. And you will have a copy on the cloud you could access with any web enabled device.

Old 08-29-2010, 05:31 PM

Senior Lounger

If you're sticking to the PC side because of Open Office, then come over to the bright side and get a Mac! You can use either Open Office or Neo Office on the Mac--and, oddly, I've found most of my old Microsoft Word documents are more compatible with Neo Office than with more recent versions of Word! (All on the Mac.)

I can open old docs by double-clicking them, whereas Word requires me to open them from within Word and hunt around for where they are. And, even then, the graphics don't show up! So, Neo's better at showing old Word docs!
Old 08-30-2010, 07:19 PM

Freshman Lounger

Hi

Not sure if this helps but I had a similar issue with transfering my calendar info from my iphone when I got an ipad.

The way I got round it was to set up a google calendar account as Sparkee suggested, sync that with my iphone and then once that's populated, sync the ipad calendar to the google calendar.

This not only transfers all the data but also keeps the iphone and ipod calenders synced.

I can confirm from experience that it works very well.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:31 AM

Note that you can also restore your iPod touch backup onto your iPad directly from within iTunes, but of course this will restore everything from your iPod touch, including applications and other settings, but it will get all of your data across pretty cleanly.

Google Sync is likely the most cost-efficient option. You could also sign up for a trial MobileMe account and sync the data over that way. None of this will help to transfer your notes, however, nor keep them in sync. Personally, I gave up on the internal Notes app a long time ago and now use a combination of SimpleNote and Evernote for my note-taking needs as it keeps things more in sync.

If you're looking to do a one-time transfer of information, however, another option to consider is TouchCopy by Wide Angle Software. This is not designed as a sync solution, but can backup and restore data more selectively from an iOS device than iTunes itself will allow you to do.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:27 PM

Veteran Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhollington View Post
Note that you can also restore your iPod touch backup onto your iPad directly from within iTunes, but of course this will restore everything from your iPod touch, including applications and other settings, but it will get all of your data across pretty cleanly.
That's good to know, I didn't know you could restore an iPad with a touch or iPhone back up. I would then assume it is possible to restore any device with a backed up of any other iPod, iPhone or iPad as long as the media files are also still in the iTunes library. I think I would still prefer to have my calendar in a place where it can be edited and synced between multiple devices though.

Last edited by Sparkee; 08-31-2010 at 09:51 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:49 AM

Yes, syncing the calendar to a service such as Google, or even with Outlook/iCal on your desktop using iTunes, is definitely preferable if you're using multiple devices, but the backup/restore method can be useful for somebody who is merely switching to a new device for this.

The only caveat about restoring iOS device backups is that you cannot restore a backup made from a device using a newer iOS version to a device using an older version, even if it's a minor version difference. When I got my iPhone 4, for instance, I had to update the firmware to 4.0.1 before I was able to restore my 3GS backup (made from 4.0.1). This also means that backups made from iPhones and iPod touch devices running iOS 4.x cannot currently be restored to the iPad, since it can't run anything newer than 3.2 (yet).

You don't even need the media files present in your library to restore a backup, although obviously you won't be able to sync them back onto the device unless they're in iTunes, as they don't normally form part of the backups. The backups themselves are stored elsewhere on your computer, well outside of the normal iTunes library folder structure.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:38 PM

Senior Lounger

Hello,
Thanks for the information.

Over the past year or so, I have used my iPod Touch more and more as a note-taking, appointment-book, contact-list device. But I've been doing it the hard way -- copying the entries constantly between my PC and my Apple device.

Now I am starting to use the iPad, and I am thinking maybe it's time to just make the move to an iMac. That will -- I assume -- take care of my syncing woes!

If it's Apple's strategy to get us hooked on the device, then get an Apple computer, well, it worked with me.

Thanks again,
Matthew

Old 09-05-2010, 03:38 AM

Freshman Lounger

This is why Google Apps make more sense. I was using MS Outlook to sync data to my old HP iPAQ PocketPC. Did it for several years. Then a friend turned me onto trying Google Apps.

Synced my Outlook calendar and contacts to Google with the Exchange client feature. Have my Gmail auto-query and pull my domain e-mail. Suddenly I'm a Google/Cloud girl. I don't need to return to my PDA or my home laptop for my schedule. Any internet-enabled device is all I need.

Setup iPad to sync with Google as an Exchange client and now I hear the bing on the iPad before my laptop even knows I have e-mail.

As much as I'm loving iOS I still prefer Windows for my full-fledged computers. Fortunately the Apple mobile devices and Windows office devices do seem to play nice with each other.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:14 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewSchenker View Post
Hello,
I recently purchased an iPad WiFi 3G unit. I've been using an iPod Touch for my calendars, notes, and contacts, and I want to have all that information also on my iPad (either sync or transfer).

I might be missing something really obvious, but can someone tell me the best way to do this?

Thanks!
Connect your ipad to your computer, open itunes, click on your device in the right hand column, on right side of your screen you will then see the screen with tabs at the top, click on "info", then you will see where you can check a button to sync your calendars and a little farther down, for your contacts. check those boxes then sync your ipod with itunes and that info will transfer. I have not yet figured out how to transfer my notes. Hope this helps.

Topic: Transfer Notes, Calendars, Contacts from iPod Touch?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.