iPad taps by itself, like it's possessed

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Bernsie

Hi, I'm new to these forums so pls bear with me if this has already been discussed.

I have been finding lately that my iPad will sometimes become unresponsive and start tapping on app icons by itself, launching apps and closing them, going to websites that have been bookmarked, etc., all on its own! Any attempts to stop this by tapping on the screen do not work. The only way to stop it is to press the Home button and / or turn it off. Even turning it off is a challenge because if the screen isn't responsive, it's near impossible to slide the red slider to turn the thing off.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of problem as well? More importantly, any ideas what triggers the problem (I can't seer a pattern in the times it's happened to me), and how I can avoid / fix this problem in the future?

Many thanks in advance...

luminoir

I have been finding lately that my iPad will sometimes become unresponsive and start tapping on app icons by itself, launching apps and closing them, going to websites that have been bookmarked, etc., all on its own! Any attempts to stop this by tapping on the screen do not work. The only way to stop it is to press the Home button and / or turn it off. Even turning it off is a challenge because if the screen isn't responsive, it's near impossible to slide the red slider to turn the thing off.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of problem as well? More importantly, any ideas what triggers the problem (I can't seer a pattern in the times it's happened to me), and how I can avoid / fix this problem in the future?

Many thanks in advance...
I am getting this too.

My iphone is on 3.1.3, new bootrom.
What happens is the the left most column of icons are not tapable.

Then suddenly, the left edge of the screen becomes hyper sensitive. Even lifting my finger and putting it near the screen (about half an inch away) activates taps. It is reacting to my finger because the icon that gets activated corresponds to the correct row when i tap; even though my finger is not touching the screen at all. It is the strangest thing I've ever seen.

The left edge of the screen is untapable only in the springboard, within apps and the lockscreen it works normally, although when I had 2 of the worst cases, like you, I couldn't slide the off switch properly either.

My screen protector has a matte finish, I'm not sure if this is relevant at all, it could be a combination of software and weird physics.

juicertm

My Ipad is possessed to

I purchased the 64gb 3g Wifi ipad less than a month ago and it is possessed. It open apps on its own, random emails and then tries to log onto Itunes... not forgetting google maps.... i purchased the coverage and have spoken with apple twice. 1st rep was useless, 2nd was much better. I ripped off the $40 clear coat screen protector... problem stopped for a while then you guess it ... it started again, i have restored it several times and have also reset it, the problem still remains. Lucky this time i was able to record it via iphone... booked another call with apple... guess this time it will be going in for repair. sux when you spend over 800 bucks and the bloody thing has a mind of its own.
Thanks for reading, just venting :)

JkEd10

Epidemic Possession

Thanks for the posts- my iPad just started this same sporadic behavior last week. I've restored it 3 times: twice with backup and once as a new iPad. It helped for a while, but the psycho behavior starts right back up shortly.

It's the same as what I've read: randomly opening new Safari pages, going to opening apps- usually those on the current app page, when I close an app, it either reopens the app or goes to another one. It seems as if it's targeting the middle-upper right side. Furthermore, the buttons seem hyper-sensitive: it's difficult to key in anything.

I took my device to the Genius Bar yesterday. They ran a diagnostic which showed all hardware was operating fine. Furthermore, the iPad was "behaving" just fine. Once I got home, it started acting up again.

Sorry I don't have anything to contribute as far as a remedy goes- it has to be some kind of software hiccup that Apple will have to deal with in the next update. At least that's my best guess.

Keep us all posted if anyone hears anything- hope everyone's iPads "get their minds right."

Powder

i have the same problem...it's not the reflective sheet i have none on my ipad 2........ that problem never happened on my firrst ipad... and it's getting annoying...you try to type and then it goes like ttttttttttttttthis orr you try to read a book on kindle and it start turning pages like crazy!!! only solution is to rrestarrt the ipad..