help me understand - creating content - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: help me understand - creating content

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 03-25-2010, 01:36 AM

Freshman Lounger

help me understand - creating content

I would like to develop some magazine-like content for consumption on iPad. Has anyone heard how this can be done? Are there, or will there be, "Authoring Tools" for content without being a developer. I guess one option would be to write and layout in html. But can you create user interface things like the page flipping and integrated video i see in the demos?
I don't understand the model for content creation.
Also, does anyone know if it will support a disk mode, where I can transfer files (not through itunes),
B
Old 03-25-2010, 05:31 AM

You should contact Apple for all questions regarding app development and content releases. Magazine companies, such as the NY Times demo, are creating apps for their content. That demo from the NY Times was an app. Yes, they are going to offer an iPad specific version of their website but the actual magazine/newspaper was an app.

Either way, Apple would be the one to contact for that. Now, about "disk mode," the iPad likely won't support it. The iPod touch and iPhone don't support it, that feature just isn't built into the iPhone OS (which the iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch all run). Apple could add it to the iPad's version of iPhone OS as a specific feature but we won't find this out until the iPad is released (a little over a week away).

128GB iPhone 6S Plus (soon) | Apple Watch 2 (not as soon) | AppleTV 2 (2012) | Microsoft Surface 3 128GB | Beats Studio Wireless | V-Moda Crossfade M-100 | UE Megaboom
Old 03-25-2010, 06:25 AM

Senior Lounger

There are already ways to convert your own books for use on the iPhone/iPod Touch which, I presume, will work for the iPad too. I've converted some of my books via Calibre and uploaded them to my iPod Touch, and I view them with Stanza - complete with page turning (the app handles the page turning regardless of the content).

Magazines will be more complicated, as will interactive content, but I wouldn't be surprised if there'll be some way to do something similar - if there isn't already. In its simplest form, a magazine could be created as a PDF and read with an ebook reader app. I think it bears investigating if that's what you're interested in doing.

Using the iPhone/iPod Touch as a basis, as Kornchild says, there is currently no "disk mode" in the way we understand the term. You can get access to the general photos folder to drag files off, as you would with a camera, but that's about it. I'm sure I read somewhere that this would be expanded to allow you access to your iWork files, but I don't see a full "disk mode" being an option.

Certain apps already allow you to send files to the iPhone/iPod Touch via your network (avoiding iTunes) but this is restricted to the app itself and is not a general "disk mode".

Hopefully the iPad will make all of this easier, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:40 PM

Freshman Lounger

I got an e-mail from Woodwing software announcing their upcoming iPad tools for content creation. While this doesn't completely answer your question as to what will be required to take created content and have it hosted in the App Store, it definitely looks like the tools themselves will remove most of the pain which would otherwise be associated with getting content formatted and publish-ready for iPad. Here's a link to a video demonstrating the tools in action :
http://www.woodwing.com/en/flash/sne...ontent-station

p.s. I am not associated with Woodwing in any way, shape, or form.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:56 AM

Pro Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by krackmonkey View Post
Id otherwise be associated with getting content formatted and publish-ready for iPad. Here's a link to a video demonstrating the tools in action :
http://www.woodwing.com/en/flash/sne...ontent-station
Haha -- the clock in the opening image reads 4:20. That's enhanced content we can believe in.
Old 03-27-2010, 01:05 AM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks for all the good info.
What I was thinking of was more along the lines of the RSS-podcasting model of distribution, rather than the app store model. The Woodwind thing was exactly what I hoping for. Built on top of InDesign.

As to managing files, it seems to me Apple will have to add to the ipod/iphone capabilities as the ipad stands to generate and process more documents than those devices. I hope it's not limited to mobile.me or something like that.

One week before mine arrives.
B

Topic: help me understand - creating content

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.