Using Apple Maps without data connection - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Using Apple Maps without data connection

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 08-28-2017, 12:11 AM

Junior Lounger

Using Apple Maps without data connection

I've recently purchased an iPhone SE and have started expermienting with turn-by-turn navigation. I've read that you can avoid using up your data plan if you chart out you trip ahead of time. The route information apparently stays in memory.

Does anyone know how you would have to chart out the route in order to capture sufficient details in memory for turn-by-turn navigation? It seems to me that the latter requires quite a bit of map detail. Would you need to (for example) pan through the whole route at a particular zoom level?

I'm not sure if it really matters, but I'm using voice navigation.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:56 AM

You CANNOT have turn by turn without data.

From my experience, you can have a map open before you start, and if you follow it, your dot will move along the route (without data) as GPS is all you need to see yourself on the map, and since you had the route open, you can see where you are on that route. This assumes you keep the maps app open and don't kill it.

With Google Maps you can save the map (not directions) of an area. Without data you can search for locations on the map, and you can see your dot on the map. Plan your own route based on the roads you see. I navigated Amsterdam walking this way for 4 days. It was slow, error prone, but I made it to several sights and to a customer dinner with this method.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 08-28-2017, 02:42 AM

Junior Lounger

OK. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Topic: Using Apple Maps without data connection

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.