Updating to iOS 7.0 - iPod Touch 5 - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Updating to iOS 7.0 - iPod Touch 5

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 09-21-2013, 08:34 PM

Freshman Lounger

Updating to iOS 7.0 - iPod Touch 5

A total 2 day experience - here's how it went...

Device = iPod Touch 5
iTunes = initially v 10.7 - present = v11.1 (both 64 bit)

Day 1 - 3 days ago..
OK, I see that iOS 7 has now been released. Luckily I was a couple of days behind the 8 ball as many who crowded the severs on the release date experienced poor downloads and errors due to overloaded servers. I first d/l'd it from a third party (Jailbreak - Shhhh, who said that?) website, not that I jb my iPods, ok, just that it's very interesting to watch.
OK, I d/l'd an image approx 1.24GB in size called - iPod5,1_7.0_11A465_Restore.ipsw.
I plug my Touch 5 into the USB and the PC recognized it instantly, like usual. I fire up iTunes 10.7 which also sees the Touch 5.
On the SUMMARY page in iTunes, I hold down the shift key and click on the UPDATE button. This gives the ability to browse your PC for an update instead of going to apple.com etc. I browse to the image and choose it.
iTunes asks of I wish to update, and I do, so I click to update. I get all the details like unpacking, looking for etc etc.
Then ERROR 3004 pops up - can't update because, blah blah. Failed..!!
I then get the choice to restore the older version 6.01 which was the default iOS for the Touch 5, so I choose YES..
I allow a connection to apple.com and iOS v6.01 begins to download and about 10 minutes and 900 MB later, the restore began to happen.
After about 10 - 15 minutes more, I found myself back at the initial bootup sequence, just like a new Touch 5 does so. I got it going as per new and then restored a further system backup, which iTunes reommended.

BANG,,, back to where I left off, or where I was just prior to my attempted v7.0 iOS update... SQUARE ONE, in other words. Shell shocked and slightly put off the whole idea. Maybe it can just stay at v6.01...

Day 2..
Had done some reading on ERROR 3004 and found sweet fanny adams (very little) actual detail about it at all. But I did find that I should have iTunes v11.1 installed because it has the inbuilt specific ability to hand the iOS 7 updating, so I d/l'd it and installed - Yuck, I hate the interface - it's HORRIBLE...!! But I'll live.

I was online and had iTunes fired up with the Touch 5 plugged in, recharging. Oh what the heck I clicked on the Update button. It told me v7.0 was available, would I like to download and install or just download. I chose to just download and install later. 12 minutes later I found I had the exact same image I downloaded from the JB site, same name and exact same size down to the last byte. What the heck, I have iTunes 11.1 installed this time. I have the correct image so I'll try to update again. Surely this time it will succeed.
Again, I held the shift key down and clicked on the Update button.
I browsed to the iOS 7 image and clicked to install. Away it went, this time going much further, BUT, up came that ERROR 3004. What the @%& is this error..??
Again it offered to restore so I chose to.
Away it went again appearing to download but soon after it stopped, much sooner than yesterday's effort, after approx 5 minutes or so. Everything just came to a hault and a message in iTunes similar to "waiting for objects to update" popped up and it just sat there staring at me.

The Touch 5 had rebooted by this time and it also stopped with a white screen with some tiny tect across it. It looked like it was waiting for some input from me. It looked like a "first time" bootup on a new Touch 5, but different, so I played along and set some options - Wi-fi passowrd etc, which I simply bypassed,, and it finished and went to the desktop. Good lord that looks a little different than it was before - much brighter, more radiant. What has happened.?

iTunes was back to the Summary page, then I saw it - "iOS 7.0" - on the summary page. Huh,, I went into the Touch 5's - Settings/General/About and saw - version 7.0(11A465)...

I unplugged the Touch 5, rebooted just to make sure,, and Yes, there it is iOS 7.0...

Wow, that was easy - NOT...!!!

What do I think of iOS 7.0..?

Hey, it's installed and working, so I can't moan, well at least not too loudly anyway. I can't say I like the icons too much. They look like a 5 year old designed them - bright, featureless and in your face. The older icons are far better looking. There are differences in the layout when you go into them, especially when you go to play songs and movies, maybe I'll just have to get used to them before further comment...

For now, it's just "try and see"... The hard part is over - thank heavens. I'm still scratching my head though as to what happened, especially ERROR 3004...

Last edited by AlTouch; 09-21-2013 at 08:40 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:18 PM

Junior Lounger

I am totally hitting the pause button right now after reading your upgrading experience. What I am curious about is are there any performance issues as far as you can tell with ios7 on the touch. It's one of the major reasons I'm considering staying on ios6. If there's any lag on ios7, it's a no go for me. Just don't know if there are enough reasons to upgrade as my 5th gen iOS 6 version of the touch couldn't be running any better.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
Old 09-22-2013, 12:24 AM

Freshman Lounger

My Touch 5 is a 32GB one...

Well, I've been using it quite a lot over tha past 24hrs or so and I haven't noticed any lagging or performance "issues". I mostly use mine for playing songs and watching movies, and that's about all, oh, apart from saving a few notes and reminders etc. Actually I think there are is a new reminder app, unless I just didn't notice it before. You can defintiely notice the updates,, no two ways about that, but I haven't noticed anything bad about performance - YET..!!

I also don't run wireless or even use a password. As a basic machine, it works great with iOS 7. I just don't know why the error 3004 appeared each time. I think 3004 is a server connectivity issue but at least in each attempt, I was able to resolve and overcome, one way or the other.

As inexperienced with "i" machines (pods, pads, phones) as I am, would I recommend the update - Yes...!!!

BUT, it's your call... It never hurts to wait a while to see if any groups of errors begin to surface...
Old 09-22-2013, 12:45 AM

Freshman Lounger

in addition to the above...

I find using iTunes 11.1 harder that using the new iOS 7...

Even copying over new songs and movies is harder compared to the older 10.7 I had until yesterday...

Topic: Updating to iOS 7.0 - iPod Touch 5

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.