• This is not the place to tout your latest must have app. It will be viewed as spam if you do post a link to your application or any "hey this app is awesome" shill style posts and your post will be removed and you may be banned.

If you wish to submit an application for inclusion on the iLounge.com main site please do so by sending an email to [email protected]

Communicating between iDevices

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Amigajoe

(hope this is the right place for this question!)

I have an iPad Mini and an iPod Touch 5g. I have 2 questions:
Can the 2 devices communicate with each other without an intermediary computer?
(assuming they're within close range)
(Related) Can I see the output from one device's camera on the other device? (networked or not)

Since both are wi-fi and Bluetooth enabled it should be possible, yes?

cjmnews

Staff member
Some apps will allow stuff like this.

Facetime will allow you to share the camera even across the continent.
Other apps will allow similar sharing.

Amigajoe

Ok...

Some apps will allow stuff like this.

Facetime will allow you to share the camera even across the continent.
Other apps will allow similar sharing.

-But you need them to both be connected by wi-fi, yes? That's what i meant by not needing an intermediary computer, as in on a desert island 1000 miles from anywhere. Can they communicate?

cjmnews

Staff member
Depending on the app, yes, they can communicate via WiFi/3G/4G/Bluetooth...

kornchild2002

-But you need them to both be connected by wi-fi, yes? That's what i meant by not needing an intermediary computer, as in on a desert island 1000 miles from anywhere. Can they communicate?
People will never, ever be in a situation like this. You would be limited by the ~30ft radius of bluetooth and/or the iPod's ability to broadcast a wi-fi signal. This type of situation is meaningless when trying to communicate between two iOS devices as you would be close enough to just talk to the person anyway.

Messages is a built-in app that will allow the two devices to communicate (just like standard text messages on cellphones) over a wi-fi network. There are apps that allow for the screen sharing of iOS devices but I don't know if they share the screen with other iOS devices or just computers, you'll have to look into that. Similarly, there are some communication apps that work via bluetooth but the app must be installed on both devices (as with the screen sharing apps). The only built-in option is Messages and it is a free service offered by Apple.