What are the "gotta have" Apps from the AppStore? - Page 2 - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: What are the "gotta have" Apps from the AppStore?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 01-22-2009, 08:23 AM

Senior Lounger

My Favs:

Wikiamo - Wikipedia interface

Weatherbug and WeatherEye - 2 Weather apps? They fill different niches in weather info presented. WeatherEye is better for a quick glance at current conditions and forecast, while Weatherbug allows you to look at satellite photos, and is very granular when selecting weather stations.

Flixter - Shows what's in theatres near you, with showtimes, ratings, trailers, etc. Also shows what's on DVD. Great app

i.TV - Love this app too, Shows local tv listings, with ratings and previews, allows customized channel lineups (you can hide the channels you don't get, or want to see), You can show only movies, or shows in HD, sports, specific genres. Awesome.

WiFinder - Use this to browse and connect to wifi hotspots. Shows signal strength, and which ones aren't secured.

JellyCar - Fun game, interesting physics

Rogue - classic roguelike port, very cool

All of those are free apps, at least they were when i got them. The only app i've paid for is Enigmo, and it was worth the $2 i paid.

Lets keep this thread alive everyone.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:59 PM

Freshman Lounger

Personal essential app list:

Wordpress - blogging on the go, but only really useful if you actually have a Wordpress account

Evernote - notes app that is free, and syncs with Evernote app on your computer. Also really handy because you can sort into different notebooks (for instance, one for hobbies, one for family, and one for work or school), and take audio, and image notes as well.

SuperDial - Cool app that allows touch speed dialing, by arranging contacts with their contact images in a single page. It's also very customizable.

SmartCamera - allows you to take a few different kinds of images. I found this when looking for a camera app that would allow me to shoot B&W images with my phone, and got a bit of a bonus: it supports lighter, darker, inverted, & black and white images, along with a 10s self timer and 3s stable self timer.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:41 PM

To add to my list of apps I have and like:

iTV - Great TV listings app
ToDo - a list that displays a the number of items not yet done.
Shazam
DeskClock - just a nice desk clock that displays month, day, date, year in a choice of 5 colors
Multi-Photo - to send multiple photos to any email address.
Diamedic - diabetic record keeper of insulin taken and meter reading.
The Arena - Aurora Feint upgrade
GroceryIQ - great app for keeping a list of grocery items.
Manual of the United States
Photo Labeler - great when taking photos to label them when you take them. You can also label photos already in your library.

Games I purchased:
Uno
Dominoes
PriceisRight
Yahtzee Adv.
Stone
Everest

WordJong - just got this game but haven't played it yet.

Edit 8/5/09:
Awesome Note by BRID

Last edited by honeybee1236; 08-05-2009 at 02:55 PM.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:31 AM

Freshman Lounger

My apps

Utility/Tools/Other
Google Earth - neat little port of as you can imagine Google Earth. Free
Wikiamo - Wiki Interface, not necesary but easy and quick. Free
Wifinder - Awsome App and it is free, find wifi networks that the iphone it self won't find sometimes must get for wifi hunters. Free
Ihandy Level - Neat soft level, uses your phone's accelerometer to find angle degrees. I would'nt use my phone on a construction site as a tool but nice to have in your pocket should the random need arise. Free
The Torch - A makeshift flashlight, not a flashlight replacement but I have used this when the power went out in my house and needed to find my way around breifly. Free

Games
Hero of Sparta - Graphically WoW, Gameplay WoW, the game is an amazing spectacal of what the iphone can do however you must have a taste for rpg games. This is the game which imo raises anticipation levels of the iphone rivaling actual portable game platforms. was $10.99 now $ 5.99
Blackbeard's Assault - Addictive unique puzzle like game. Free lite version and Pay version
Flick Fishing - Very nice pocket fishing game, addictive and graphically well textured, worth the $ 1.99
I bowl - Recently Updated, Very nice pocket bowling here and the price is just perfect at Free
Tap Defense - Neat tower defense type game well programed, wish there were some new stages but won't complain for Free
Fish Tycoon - Neat little game for kids if yours have a touch or phone, worth the the 2 bucks for the full version for them Free lite version and Pay version
Old 02-03-2009, 04:41 PM

Pretz
Banned

i love poker deluxe it cost 99 cents but i think there is a free version. the free one gives you 200 chips per day that you play. 99 cent version gives you 2000 chips per day that you play. there are more expensive versions that give you more chips. NOTE: it is an online game with other people from iPhones, facebook, the zygna website, and myspace. there might be some others.

if you are a soccer fan, real soccer 09, it is a must have. play as any team, normal and international. there are also cups and leagues. it is like fifa but for the iphone.

also get tap tap revenge. it is free and is like rockband or guitar hero but you tap instead of strum. you can play online verse other players and download new songs. tap tap dance is like it but it cost 4.99. i dont think that you should get this. it is like tap tap revenge except that you can not play online and cannot download new songs. i have it and only played it once but i have played tap tap revenge a million times.

Last edited by honeybee1236; 02-04-2009 at 11:53 AM.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:22 AM

Freshman Lounger

Non games...

Facebook
London Tube (guess it's only useful if you're in London!)
i-Doodz
Pocket Guitar
Surf Report
Remote

Games...

iShoot (obviously)
Saturday Night Fever
Crazy Penguin Catapult
Old 02-12-2009, 07:04 PM

Junior Lounger

fring: make/receive skype/SIP calls (even on an ipod touch if you've got a headset attached)
Old 02-13-2009, 10:34 PM

Freshman Lounger

Sorry if there are any repeats. Here are my favorites:

ShapeWriter - a note taker where instead of using the standard keypad, you draw out the work on a keypad

USA Today - News...

Remote - a wireless remote for iTunes via Wi-Fi

Pandora - Radio...

Backgrounds - nice pictures that you can download and use as your "Slide to Unlock" screen background image

TouchType - a horizontal writer mainly for writing emails, but I use it to write essays for school

LightBike - amazing Tron-like game

Tap Tap Revenge - fun game similar to Guitar Hero and Rock Band

iShoot - a fun tank time waster game

Fastlane - a fun and realistic racing game

Touch Hockey - simple air hockey game using touch

JellyCar - a fun time waster

Space Deadbeef - another fun time waster

Downhill Bowling - title says it all, a fun game

Love Calculator - a funny app that determines love compatibility with two names (i think it is hysterical and accurate)

AIM - mobile AIM app for iPhone and iPod Touch

I Am Rich - Just kidding ;-)
Old 02-14-2009, 02:29 AM

ReyZero

I don't know about you guys, but since flash isn't out yet, my #1 gotta have application (which they said will be delivered to Apple in March (I think)) is the SlingBox applicaiton, watching TV on the go will be so handy, assuming it works well enough.
Now for my recommended applications, since the iPhone is an iPod related subject, tons of music
-Pandora
-Slacker
-Last.fm
-FlyCast
-FStream (For stations like di.fm )
There are plenty of other FM based stations, but I believe the first 4 up there are all similar in Genius on a radio base.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:05 PM

Freshman Lounger

I could vote for

Fring : Make your Skype calls
Evernote : Seemless sync between PC & Web & Mac & iPhone
WiFinder : Know your hotspots before turning on your laptop

I also recommend

Ruler Deluxe : Measure a long object by rotating your iPhone. pretty handy.
Finger Piano : Play famous tunes without taking piano lessons
Cube Cheater : Solve the unsolved rubics cube & impress your kids
Old 02-14-2009, 05:02 PM

Senior Lounger

Free Apps:

Shazam - I no longer have to wonder what song is playing.

Slacker Radio - Free Application, you get access to the streaming stations on Slacker.com which has every imaginable genre. I ponied up for the $48 a year subscription service and get unlimited skipping of songs, unlimited favoring/banning, and no commercials (the commercials were really only 30 seconds twice an hour on the free service which isn't horrible). And the interface is very slick.

Public Radio - Every NPR, BBC, and PRI station in the U.S. (and I believe worldwide).

Weather Channel: Moving radar, current conditions for your area through the location services, and video on demand 'Local on the 8' forecasts.

Zippo Lighter - It is what it says it is. A lighter that you can 'flick open' with a flick of the iPhone, and scroll your finger down to light it. Nice for those 'free bird' moments at concerts when you don't have a lighter or (like me) don't smoke.

Remote - for reasons stated above.

Paid Apps:

Wunderradio. I'm a former scanner junkie, so this is top of the list of the radio apps. Has radio scanners through Radiotime.com and Scanamerica.us, Railroad scanners through railroadradio.net and AM and FM Stations in the U.S. and World Wide (including BBC World Service and Radio Tehran if you are so inclined) through Radiotime as well. $5.99 in the App Store.

Blogpress - A blogging tool that posts automatically to your blog from your iPhone. Works with Blogger, Wordpress and Typepad. $9.99

UniBus Universal - Bus and Commuter train schedules for any area. And gives distances to the nearest bus station or stop from where you are. $1.99.

16GB iPhone (White)
Old 03-06-2009, 08:57 PM

Freshman Lounger

AppVee - it's an app that let's you know about what apps are hot and new
Handshake - great if you exchange contacts with other people. It allows you to wirelessly send someone's details from phone to phone
USA Today - a great news app. I want to recommend the Times, but I've had issues with their app.
Shazam - which I noticed other people said. It takes a 30 second sound click to ID any song for you
Pandora - popular apparently
If Found - allows you to add contact info to your wallpaper in case you lose your phone. thought you can do this outside of the program if you want. I started using powerpoint slides saved as pictures.
I have PNC's app. So, I'd check to see if your bank has one too.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:48 PM

Yea!! Wheel of Fortune is finally available for $4.99 in the app store. Just played a round and so far it's fun but I hit a bankrupt before I was able to solve the puzzle.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:45 PM

down for whatever

Wikiamo
Freedom SMS
Trisim
Feildrunners
iDracula
Old 03-23-2009, 08:41 PM

Steelers Fan

www.ilounge.com/mobile
bookmark it on homepage
this is like an app for ilounge

games-
poker live deluxe
touchgrind
any x-planes (except helicopter)
tap tap revenge 2 (or 1 but 2 is better)
real soccer 09
jelly car

utilities-
sportacular or fox sports
nytimes
air sharing
remote
shazam
backgrounds

I bleed black and gold.
IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

iBook G4, PowerBook G4, iMac, MacBook Pro, Nano 3Gen
iPhone 2g, iPhone 3g, Classic 30GB, Classic 1GB, Time Capsule 1TB, Skull Candy Smokin Buds, V-Moda Vibe Duo

Last edited by iFone; 03-23-2009 at 08:43 PM.

Topic: What are the "gotta have" Apps from the AppStore?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.