iPod Nano 7th Generation Possible Hacks

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Neverfa11ing

I posted the link for the iPod Nano 7th Gen in an earlier post in case you need that. I've taken the IPSW file and extracted it and got three files.

Firmware.MSE 166 MB

manifest.plist 579 bytes

N31.bootloader.rb3 146 kb

I'm able to edit the manifest.plist file but nothing else. The MSE file is encrypted and I'm trying to work my way aroound that. I'm assuming the Firmware.MSE file has most everything in it, including the preinstalled "applications". I'm also guessing that the N31.bootloader.rb3 file is the, well bootloader for the iPod. I also think this includes or may possibly be the diagnostic menu because the diagnostic menu has N31 displayed in the top left corner. EDIT: After the N31 displayed in the left corner it says Snowfox (5A0267).

Other than the files in the actually IPSW, the iPod_Control folder on the iPod disk itself has a few minor tweaks you can preform yourself. One of which you can change the array in the IconState.plist file. All this will do is rearrange the "applications" on the home screen which you can already do in the OS. This is still cool that you can do it manually as well, so there may be a few more minor tweaks there.

I'm not sure what would be the easier route to take with a hack for the iPod Nano 7th Gen, but there are two choices in a sense. First, you could see if there was a possible way to add/port apps from iOS on some of the older iPhones or iPod Touches. This would be very cool and could open some real opportunities. Secondly, another route you could take would be to see if you wanted to actually change the bootloader on the iPod Nano. It could be a similar project to the EmCORE project over at freemyipod.

I think this iPod has many possibilities with hacks and custom firmwares. If anybody has any ideas or makes progress in a hack or finds a loophole email me or post the idea here. If it is a loophole just email it to me because we wouldn't want Apple patching anything.
:cool:

EDIT: Just realized that I forgot how to go into Recovery/DFU mode. Hold down sleep and home buttons till screen goes black then just hold down home for 5-6 seconds. You will need this mode if you're doing any major hacks.

Neverfa11ing

~updates~

I've been pretty busy lately but I spent some time to further this project.
The first update is that I extracted the Firmware.MSE file to 11 sub-directories. Appl.fw, bdhw.fw, bdsw.fw, chrg.fw, diag.fw, disk.fw, fv00.fw, gpfw.fw, lbat.fw, osos.fw, rsrc.fw. I extracted all of these fw files to img files. Only one extracted and gave me folders and files, it was the rsrc.fw file which clocks in at 154 mb as a fw file, 139 mb as an img, and 138 mb as a folder labeled as "Resources".

There are 9 sub-directories inside the Resources folder. Bluetooth, DST, Fonts, Sounds, Speakable, TrainerTemplates, UI, Vocalizer, and Voices. I just barely got these files so I haven't had much time to go over them or test them. If anyone wants these files just send me an email or PM. I will probably update sometime tonight or tomorrow depending on when I get around to doing any more work on this.

DestinyBox

I've been pretty busy lately but I spent some time to further this project.
The first update is that I extracted the Firmware.MSE file to 11 sub-directories. Appl.fw, bdhw.fw, bdsw.fw, chrg.fw, diag.fw, disk.fw, fv00.fw, gpfw.fw, lbat.fw, osos.fw, rsrc.fw. I extracted all of these fw files to img files. Only one extracted and gave me folders and files, it was the rsrc.fw file which clocks in at 154 mb as a fw file, 139 mb as an img, and 138 mb as a folder labeled as "Resources".

There are 9 sub-directories inside the Resources folder. Bluetooth, DST, Fonts, Sounds, Speakable, TrainerTemplates, UI, Vocalizer, and Voices. I just barely got these files so I haven't had much time to go over them or test them. If anyone wants these files just send me an email or PM. I will probably update sometime tonight or tomorrow depending on when I get around to doing any more work on this.
email me: thedestinybox(@)gmail(.)com

n1kn4k

How to open up firmware.mse?

I have got as far as opening up the ipsw and looked at manifest.plist - How did you open up the mse? Also, are you using windows, linux or mac?

lesnico

n1kn4k, see my reply in your other post ;)
Neverfa11ing, I'm interested too, email me (mp)

Zyxxeil

Its quite easy to extract the firmware in linux or mac but on windows its a completely different story. Your going to need terminal in order to extract it here is a guide on how to extract it.

bit . ly / Z4oZDL

Remove any spaces in the address as i am a new member im not allowed to post links.

If anyone would mind sharing the extracted files to DB or something similar for us windows users it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Neverfa11ing

Hey Guys

Lesnico I'll pm you about more info on this project and n1kn4k extracting the MSE file is a piece of cake if you do it on Linux. On Mac it's kind of a pain but Linux is much easier. Go to this link to learn more about extracting firmware http://www.freemyipod.org/wiki/Extracting_firmware. Zyxxeil I'll see what I can do to posting the extracted firmware online, I'll keep you updated.

Neverfa11ing

Firmware Files

If anyone would mind sharing the extracted files to DB or something similar for us windows users it would be much appreciated. Thanks.
To respond to Zyxxeil here's a link to the extracted firmware files https://docs.google.com/open?id=0By8QI05tiyrlMzdreklGLWN2aFE. :cool: Have fun with it. If anyone has any knowledge to extracting SilverImagesDB.LE.bin let me know because I wouldn't want to waste time learning how to extract it if someone already knows. The SilverImagesDB.LE.bin file is in the UI folder in the resources folder.

Also here's a list saying what all the fw files probobly are.

disk.fw -----------------------------> Nano guide to the disk mode (Disk Mode)

diag.fw -----------------------------> the Nano guide to the test mode (Test Mode)

appl.fw -----------------------------> temporarily unknown

rsrc.fw -----------------------------> the Nano system resources file

osos.fw -----------------------------> Nano guide to the main interface

bdsw.fw ----------------------------- should be associated and Nano software (sw software)

bdhw.fw -----------------------------> should and Nano the hardware-related (hw or hardware)

lbat.fw -----------------------------> temporarily unknown

chrg.fw -----------------------------> temporarily unknown

This includes all but the fv00.fw file which I'm trying to figure out. Also this list comes from ???iPodNano6G???(??&???)_GF0rce_???? and it's describing the iPod Nano 6G Files not 7G thats why the fv00.fw is missing. Just realized gpfw.fw is missing from the list too.

Last edited:

n1kn4k

neverfa11ing, what are you planning to do with the .fw files? I did what other people suggested and used ubuntu dd comand, and have ended up with an img which I am uploading to mediafire in the next few days. Do you know how to open up an img? (Ive tried winrar, 7-zip, and renaming to zip and iso etc)

Neverfa11ing

Good Job

:) Congratz on getting this far n1kn4k. Yeah so I screwed with this for 5 minutes and found it was to big of a hassle to unpack it in Ubuntu so I went on my Mac and it unpacked just fine there. Don't worry about posting that on Mediafire I've already posted the extracted file. When I get the time I'm going to set up a shared Dropbox folder that whoever I allow can access and upload to it. I'm wondering where you got the IPSW file from? Is it from my link? If so don't switch to another one, I'm pretty sure Apple has updated since that file so I'm going to have to extract the new one and I'll post the link for that soon if I'm correct there was an update. Anyways n1kn4k let me know what IPSW file you're using.

EDIT: Hey n1kn4k just tested something out and it worked. Download win32diskimager and burn the rsrc.img file to a flash drive and you can grab everything from there.

Last edited:

Neverfa11ing

Hey guys here's the link to the new firmware 1.0.2.

http://appldnld.apple.com/iPod/SBML/osx/bundles/041-7265.20121212.WnBg0/iPod_1.0.2_37A20067.ipsw

I'd prefer if we don't use this for the first attempt at a hack, but I will extract this one and post it when I get the time. Remember we are not using this one for the first hack just disregard this until we are successful with the older firmware. N1kn4k this could be a project for you to work on, see if you can extract this IPSW file. Oh I got an idea today that could help move things along for us, I wanted to see if I could make iTunes think a regular USB drive is an iPod Nano so it could extract the whole firmware to it. Does anyone know any information on this, if so let me know.

apgrnt

I extracted both firmwares, the new and the old from your links; neverfa11ing. The new firmware gave me the same 11 files.

I'm stuck there though, i can convert the .fw files to .img files but I'm not sure how to view them using a Linux enviroment. It has been fun learning how to get his far though.

p.s. does anyone know how to make nano 7g work using something other than itunes. Clementine for instance?

Neverfa11ing

Welcome apgrnt

Thanks for being so prompt of the first link! :) Could you upload the extracted firmware for the second link somewhere so I can get that? The easiest way to view the img files is a way I just found out. The only one that will be useful to you is the rsrc.img file and it has the resources folder inside it. The way to get that img file extracted is download win32diskimager (Windows) or a program on Linux that will write an image to a usb disk. Get an applicable program and write the img file to the usb disk. After that the resources folder will be on the usb disk.

To answer your question, I'm not familiar with Clementine but the program CopyTrans Manager has been my favorite and is usually the first for support for new OS's and iPods. Heres a link to the website Free iTunes alternative - Manage iPod iPhone without iTunes. Not sure if they have support yet for the iPod Nano 7th Generation.

Good Luck and Thank You!

n1kn4k

I extracted both firmwares, the new and the old from your links; neverfa11ing. The new firmware gave me the same 11 files.

I'm stuck there though, i can convert the .fw files to .img files but I'm not sure how to view them using a Linux enviroment. It has been fun learning how to get his far though.

p.s. does anyone know how to make nano 7g work using something other than itunes. Clementine for instance?
Sharepod is the best free software that I have used, but not sure if it works on 7g

n1kn4k

Thanks for being so prompt of the first link! :) Could you upload the extracted firmware for the second link somewhere so I can get that? The easiest way to view the img files is a way I just found out. The only one that will be useful to you is the rsrc.img file and it has the resources folder inside it. The way to get that img file extracted is download win32diskimager (Windows) or a program on Linux that will write an image to a usb disk. Get an applicable program and write the img file to the usb disk. After that the resources folder will be on the usb disk.

To answer your question, I'm not familiar with Clementine but the program CopyTrans Manager has been my favorite and is usually the first for support for new OS's and iPods. Heres a link to the website Free iTunes alternative - Manage iPod iPhone without iTunes. Not sure if they have support yet for the iPod Nano 7th Generation.

Good Luck and Thank You!
Why can't you extract the firmware on that one?

n1kn4k

Using Win32diskimager, it just makes my usb unreadable, and i have to format it to use it again. I am currently looking at an img to iso converter but its not really working.

Neverfa11ing

Using Win32diskimager, it just makes my usb unreadable, and i have to format it to use it again. I am currently looking at an img to iso converter but its not really working.

You may want to double check that you are using win32diskimager correctly or if you made that img file correctly. It should be 145,752,064 bytes, if not you probobly created the image file wrong.