iPod XXX Cannot be synced. The required file cannot be found

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

ljeyl86

I need some helpwith my 30gig video ipod! so here is the problem:

I was listening to my ipod and the music suddenly stopped. I looked at my ipod and it appeared to be frozen so i held the menu & select button to restart. Then my ipod made this horrible screeching noise and the screen said that the ipod was corrupted and that i must connect to a computer and restore, which i did. NOW, when i try to add songs to my ipod it will only add a couple and then it will say "The ipod XXX cannot be synced. The required file cannot be found".

I've updated all the software, reinstalled it...and i'm still having this problem

Is my hard drive toast? I've noticed that my ipod sounds loud (like i can hear parts moving inside of it) but i cant still put it into disk mode.

thanks for your help!!

Welcome. The message ' the required file cannot be found' is referring to the song that it is trying to transfer to the iPod. Try shutting iTunes down and reopen it and sync it again.

1-Try and transfer again and look in the iTunes window at the song that is trying to transfer. Then go into the main library and uncheck that song. Then continue to update the iPod. Do this each time you get that error message when sync'ing the iPod.

2-Make sure the song that is trying to transfer to the iPod is in the iTunes folder. Check and make sure.

3-If it is then when done sync'ing the iPod re-import the song(s) into iTunes.

When that message appears when sync'ing the iPod the problem is the song(s) & iTunes cannot locate it/them to transfer to the iPod. If they are on an external hard drive then shutting down iTunes and restarting it with the external hard drive attached will help.

ljeyl86

my ipod doesnt automatically sync, i do it manually. Even if a drag and drop the actual song file into my ipod i still get that message.

If it happens when transferring a songs then you need to find the song. Transfer songs in small amounts and look in the window to see which song it is stuck on and un-check that song.

Macco

Or maybe the Hard drive is Toast, I'd follow honeybee1236's advice and if it still continues to fail, take it into a service center

ljeyl86

it still does not let me put songs on. i've tried it on both my computers and i get the same message :(

MIRAGE

How To Fix The "Cannot Be Synced" -42 Error For 2nd Generation Nano?

Follow these simple steps (cannot be easier):

1.Plug in the ipod
2.Go to My Computer
3.Right Click the Ipod ( F: )
4.Go to Properties
5.Click the "Tools" Tab
6.Click "Check Now" under Error Checking
7.After it's finished start itunes
8.Update Ipod once it shows up on itunes
9.It Works!

You're Welcome =]

RSoxNo1

I'm having the same issue with my 30g video ipod. I just got it back from the repair center because the headphone jack was messed up. The Geek Squad tech at best buy also had them replace the hard drive because he heard a "clicking" noise. Now that I've got it back it's clicking a lot louder than it was before, and I can sync one or two things at a time and while doing that it's giving me all sorts of errors that it didn't give me before.

missnofear

i am having the exact same problems as you are,
my ipod did the same thing,
and i have found no way to fix it.

has anyone figured it out?

ACE'S FULL

I am having this issue with a 3rd GEN 4GB Nano. I have tried many of the solutions given here and other sites with no luck. Is there anything else that one can think of to assist?

TIA

auzzie23

QUIKLY FIX IN 10 seconds!!!

to fix the iphone / ipod cannot be synced. The missing file cannot be found, simply do the folowing.

1) close iphoto and itunes
2) find the iphoto library in finder, most probably located in your users folder under pictures.
3) right click on iphoto library (might be named diferently) and choose show package contents
4) delete the folder caches and ipod photo cache.
5) restart iphoto
6) restart itunes
if itunes asks that the library is linked with another ipod, say yes to the warning to re sync with your ipod/ iphone

FOR WINDOWS, GOTO THE ITUNES FOLDER LOCATED IN YOUR MY MUSIC , AND DELETE THE ITUNES FOLDER

Last edited:

ipod rescue

Website
www.ipod-rescue.com
Forget all these fixes people are quoting here, half of them are for non hard drive based ipods anyway, nanos Touch and iphones are all flash based memory.

Your problem is indeed the hard drive. It failed while you were listening to it and it sounds as though it was on its last legs anyway comnsidering the clunking , moving parts , sounds you describe.

No amount of resetting, restoring is going to fix it, You can get a new one for about 50 euro and replacing it takes 5 mins and another 5 mins to restore it ready for your music.

quest

to fix the iphone / ipod cannot be synced. The missing file cannot be found, simply do the folowing.

2) find the iphoto library in finder, most probably located in your users folder under pictures.
3) right click on iphoto library (might be named diferently) and choose show package contents
5) restart iphoto
6) restart itunes
if itunes asks that the library is linked with another ipod, say yes to the warning to re sync with your ipod/ iphone

FOR WINDOWS, GOTO THE ITUNES FOLDER LOCATED IN YOUR MY MUSIC , AND DELETE THE ITUNES FOLDER

So far as I type it seems to be working . I am on Mack book pro ipod classic 120 . thank you .

Matt M

I agree with iPod rescue, flash memory and hard drives are completely different. Your hard drive probably is permanently messed up, either get yourself a new hard drive or just get a new iPod, this time I reccomend a flash memory one like iPod nano, shuffle or touch.

Pete3

Classic 1G iPod won't Sync Completely

I have a somewhat similar problem...

iPod drops sync and automatically dismounts @ syncing 2520 of 3819 songs. Full battery (at least it indicates so) at start. At dismount the battery indicator is blank, but there's still enough charge to light the choices. The only thing it seemed to sync is the playlist list. No tunes inside the playlists. This routine has been repeated four times, so we're consistent. iTunes 9.0.3 current, iPod 2.3.

I've tried restore and the dialog box came back and said I'd have to do it with Firewire. I'm on a MacBook Air so I can't get there from here. The iPod was originally set up on a iBook G3 on Firewire. I tried it on that and it didn't restore either.

I don't think it's a "Restore" problem. Could it be that I have a weak battery? Or is it a problem with 9.0.3, or what. Somehow I think I need professional help.

MacBook Air (80 GB storage) Mac OS X (10.6.2)

adam17kent

Nice one

5) restart iphoto
6) restart itunes

Thanks for the tip, I now have a working ipod. Good Work

SouichiroNagi

Hey guys, I found a definite solution, so please hear me out.

When you are syncing your iPod, stop the sync after the first few songs.

After that, go to "Music" under your iPod and click on "Auto Fill".

TADAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

どういたしまして

cbrattos2

5) restart iphoto
6) restart itunes

this worked thank you so much for your help