Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: PLEASE create a linux forum!

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 10-14-2005, 01:57 AM

Freshman Lounger

PLEASE create a linux forum!

I am a dedicated Linux user. I got converted about 2 months ago, and it is definitely addicting. I have even gone to the trouble to write to Apple asking them to port iTunes and updater to Linux!

It would mean a LOT to me if there was an everyting involving linux forum on your site, so we could discuss linux software and linux on the iPod. Basically, everything to do with music for the iPod/software for it/etc. on the linux/freebsd platforms.

iLounge is the defacto place to be when discussing iPod/iTunes related topics and issues. So why is the fastest growing operating system being ignored here?

Please consider us and add a forum. It may be gradual, but people will slowly gravitate to the forum as time passes. And I sure will be on it.

THANK YOU FOR LISTENING, and thank your for your excellent site!

signmeuptoo
iPod mini owner

It's all about the waves, sound waves that is... iPod mini Blue Gen deus & Shure E2c In-EarCanal Monitors. Oh the bliss!

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 10-14-2005, 05:00 AM

We have a Hacks & Mods forum where you can discuss topics relating to Linux and the iPod:
http://forums.ilounge.com/forumdispl...?s=&forumid=79

Old 10-14-2005, 05:32 AM

Bob

We have had the occasional request for a Linux forum - but the last time I asked for Linux users to make themselves known, there was one reply.

http://forums.ipodlounge.com/showthr...hreadid=106014

Bob

Old 10-16-2005, 03:27 PM

Performa460

Linux for iPod is a grate idea and a grate thing, the more publicity it gets, the more programmers will get intrested and the better it will become. Which is why im going to advertise it on my Podcast once it gets going.

Make the forum.

Old 10-16-2005, 03:47 PM

Freshman Lounger

Willing to help

I've owned 3 different iPods, and I'm about to get a new video one, and I run Linux on the desktop and haven't run Windows at home for years.

In fact, I used an iPod with Linux long before ever getting my first Mac!

I've installed, used, tested, and evaluated all kinds of software for using the iPod under Linux, and I now know quite a bit about how it all works together, from kernel modules to easy tagging solutions.

I've also installed Linux on my iPod (dual booting!) just for fun.

I support the creation of a Linux forum and I am more than willing to help out as a moderator or whatever help I can be.

iLounge rocks!
Old 10-16-2005, 03:50 PM

Junior Lounger

I know my head might get torn off for this but ipodwizard.net seems to have a pretty good linux forum going on http://www.ipodwizard.net/forumdisplay.php?f=54. The guys that compile the main iBoy build are also regulars there.
Old 10-16-2005, 03:55 PM

funky fresh minty taste!

well go to the thread bob suggested and state your case, it's in my sig

What do I know about music? | there is always an objective | Flickr | ebay selling my record collection in the next few weeks, keep watch!!
Old 10-16-2005, 03:56 PM

Freshman Lounger

I think that a linux forum is a really good idea. I am running linux on my computer and i am clueless as to how to get my ipod to work with it. I havnt really had to update it but when i do i just end up going to my friends house. I think that a linux forum would be a perfect idea

Aol Instant Messenger-Lpskaterpunkdude
http://www.myspace.com/some######
Old 10-16-2005, 04:07 PM

1,2, WOOP WOOP

I support a linux + iPod forum.
Old 10-16-2005, 04:40 PM

Freshman Lounger

To be honest... the only reason why I just signed up for this forum is in hopes of an iPod linux forum!!!

If you build it, they will come.
Old 10-16-2005, 04:55 PM

The Tie-Dye Alchemist

Do it!

Peace, Love & All That Jazz
| 5G--60GB iPod | 2G--iPod Shuffle | 4G--16GB Nano |
.................~1576 Artists l ~ 2320 Albums..............
----------------------------------------------
30195 songs l 99.5 days l 151.82 gigs
Old 10-16-2005, 05:06 PM

Junior Lounger

Linux is going mainstream, it makes sense.

Well I am all for a Linux forum.

I think the Hacks and Mods forum is the place to talk about Linux ON your iPod, but you need a forum to talk about Linux WITH an iPod. Well actually depending on how you class Mac OS X under the hood you may already have one, but ignoring that fact I think it makes sense

My main PC is Linux as of last year, my home server has been Linux for 8+ and I for one only have a single remaining Windoze PC (work laptop, MP3's on home LINUX file server) which I have to use for iTunes and would like to be able to discuss alternatives with other users.

There is a lot more to Linux and iPod than people hacking it into the tiny fella, and there are many iPod like Linux discussion to be had, such as running a DAAP server on your linux fileserver so it shows in iTunes, or out to media clients such as those made by ROKR on your network.

Unless Front Row makes it onto Mini and other home cinema friendly sized machines, I think there will be a continued interest in Linux and iPod as currently Linux is the best platform for STB's.

Why not suck it and see? You could always close it down if it was unsucessful?

As Hungarianhc says "If you build it, they will come."

Paul.

5G Black 60G, Sony MDR-EX90 'phones
Old 10-16-2005, 05:28 PM

Performa460

I think the iPod Lunix guys are struggeling to keep up with the new iPods, the more help the faster newer iPods will be supported (And old iPods can play video )

And judging by the mind boggoling amount of vewiers this site has, the more donations/prgrammers/mental support they will get.

Old 10-16-2005, 07:27 PM

Junior Lounger

Location: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada, North America, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe

Yeah, I'm all for a linux forum.

My Blog
3G 15GB iPod
Old 10-17-2005, 01:58 PM

Junior Lounger

Do it.

Topic: PLEASE create a linux forum!

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.