2 Quick Questions

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

yarborough2004

hey all, i have 2 quick questions.

1: when ripping an audio book cd you are supossed to us 32kbps???

2: Im a lil confused as what to do once ive ripped all the cds, I have joined all the files on each cd (the book is 10 disks longs) so i have 10 audio files, is there a way to combine all into one file? and also how do i select Audiobook as a genre I didnt see it as an option, as when i put the book on my ipod i want to access it through the Audiobook option

Thanks for the help in this matteR!

Podunk

Questions 1: You can choose any bitrate you are happy with. 32Kps give a good sound quality and file size for spoken word.

Question 2: Half of this forum, including the Audible User's Guide and the one titled "Beginners Guide. Copying an Audio CD to a Bookmarking iPod File. All iTunes process. "

yarborough2004

Ok ive got all teh files ripped to my itunes, how do i make them into an audio book for my ipod ive been looking at the tutorials but am lost. I have all the files in itunes and they have all been renamed to .m4b now what? I want to be able to select them in audiobooks on my ipod how do i do that? Thanks a bunch1

Podunk

1) Which version of iPod do you have? It must be 4G, Mini to have Audiobooks Menu. Do you have one of those.

2) Are you on Mac or Windows.

Must have this info before can help you further.

Podunk

Well for future reference, get your books from Audible and you won't have to worry about it.

With a Mini and Win Xp, you should definately be able to create the files in a suitable format that your iPod will bookmark,

If you follow Robert's in depth tutorial, you should be able to do it. But I don't think I can explain it any better than he already has. Sorry. Thought I might but after looking at his post, I don't know what I can add.

Last edited:

yarborough2004

I have a quick question, if i sign up to audible and dl my 2 free books can i cancel without paying anything? Or do i get charged? As my mom is letting me use her card to get the free books but doesnt want to be charged, thanks a bunch!

Podunk

The offer varies from time to time but usually, you can take advantage of the two book trial with no futher obligation. You can cancel the account after that without being charged. Just check the specifics of the offer you are signing up under.

Note that even if you cancel the subscription, you will still have an account at Audible that you can go to at any time and purchase individual books, re-download any books you have purchased already, and restart/suspend a subscription at any time.

Podunk

P.S. And when you download the Audible software, make sure only download and install the Audible Download Manager for iTunes.

www.audible.com/software

Do not install the AudibleManager application no matter what their website instructs you to do.

yarborough2004

Ok got signed up quick question though, How do i go about backing up the files, I want to perform a full system reboot and i want to back up the audible files, also do i have to have the audible manager installed to listen to the files through itunes?

Last edited:

Podunk

As I said before, download and install the Audible Download Manager for iPod/iTunes.

When you download the file from your Audible library, when it is finished it will automatically open iTunes and the file can be found in your iTunes libary under a new playlist titled "Audible."

For your first ever Audible download, click the file to start to play in iTunes. Just to make sure it plays.

From there you can easily put it on your iPod just like any other file.

dordale

yarborough--

To answer your other question...the audible files you'd want to back up are stored as ".aa" files on your computer. These are the book files you'd want to back up.

One great thing about audible though. They allow you to download the titles you purchased as many times as you like. So if you do a full restore of your system and wipe out all your audible files, you can just head over to their website and re-download the files from your library.

dordale :)