Free Audiobooks - Page 6 - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Free Audiobooks

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 12-17-2006, 05:03 PM

Pro Lounger

Free Stories from Thriller / Brilliance Audio podcasts

Five unabridged stories from the Brilliance Audiobook collection, Thriller, are available as podcasts, either from the Brilliance Podcast web page or by iTunes subscription.
  • James Penny's New Identity by Lee Child
  • The Portal by John Lescroart and M. J. Rose
  • The Abelard Sanction by David Morrell
  • Epitaph by J.A. Konrath

These episodes were originally released this summer on iTunes and on AudiobookStand, Brilliance's commercial audiobook sales site, as part of the promotion for the book's release (see Thriller link). The story links at iTunes at and the AudiobookStand podcast page have been inactive from a month after the last story release until very recently. The iTunes web page link now points to the new Brilliance Audio podcast page instead of AudiobookStand. (The Brilliance podcast page still does not have a working RSS feed link). So it looks as though Brilliance may start releasing separate podcasts (like the Holtzbrinck, Penguin, SimonSays, Highbridge. NAXOS, Random House, and other publishers' podcasts)

The quality of the Thriller stories production is high - they're taken from the regular audiobook release. The International Thriller Writers, Inc. have been doing regular podcast releases for some time, so if you're interested in this genre you can try out the The Big Thrill podcasts of authors speaking about their work. The link given is to iTunes; you can also use the thrillerwriters.org RSS feed.

Just as background for Audible subscribers, Brilliance Audio works are not released through Audible (or in the iTunes Store audiobook section). AudiobookStand handles their direct sales of cassettes and CDs; there's also a download store. A large number of their CD titles get released as mp3 CDs as well as audio CDs. In a recent wrinkle, they've been offering to produce cassettes on demand for their CD only releases.

[Aside: The New York Times 12/3/06 had an article "The Analog Geezer Holds On" -- you may need to register to read it. Excerpt: ]
Quote:
What could possibly be listeners' attraction to cassettes, which melt in the heat, snap in the cold and hiss in the ear? For listening to a book, cassettes are an oddly elegant medium, analog like a book itself. If you need to hear a paragraph again, rewind for a few seconds rather than jumping back several minutes to where a CD's track began. Older CD players don't resume where you left off, meaning you have to hunt around to find your place.

Plus, said Eileen Hutton, vice president of Brilliance Audio, cassettes ''crossplatform bookmark, which CDs don't.' Say you drive to the shore and are halfway into Disc 17 of Richard Ford's ''Lay of the Land'' when you arrive. Eject it from the car's CD player, then transfer it to your compact CD player to take to the beach, and it will -- sorry -- always restart at the beginning. A cassette, on the other hand, would be right where you left it, as sure as the bent-over corner of a page.

[snip]

''The cassette is dying a slow death,'' said John McElroy, a Grammy-winning audio book producer who would prefer his work be heard in pristine digital. ''But an exceedingly slow death.''
As is the case for NAXOS (who have just launched their own site for download sales; see earlier post), some Brilliance audiobooks may be available through public libraries via the OverDrive download service. (Unlike Brilliance, NAXOS also releases audiobooks through Audible and iTunes.)

Summary Thriller links:
  • Thriller podcasts at iTunes
  • Brilliance podcasts page (no links to mp3 files or RSS feed yet, but looks like it will shortly replace this AudiobookStand podcast page; which does currently have working links to the mp3 files)
  • Thriller Book web page for the book these stories were taken from
  • The Big Thrill author podcasts by these and other Thriller writers at iTunes

Update (1/3/07): The Thriller links on iTunes and at the Brilliance podcast page appear to have been removed with the start of the New Year. Instead, there are new podcasts that offer author interviews called "Briliance Bits". The only link that still works for getting the old Thriller episodes is the AudiobookStand podcast page.

There is also a working RSS feed now for the Brilliance podcasts

Last edited by moriond; 01-03-2007 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Updated information and links to Brilliance Podcast page
Old 01-08-2007, 01:59 PM

NetLibrary now available thru Atlanta Fulton County Public Library

The Atlanta Library has recently added NetLibrary to its offerings. The site instructions are a bit confusing and I reworded and reordered to this:

Accessing NetLibrary remotely, through the Atlanta Fulton County Library website:

Go to AFC Library Site: http://www.afplweb.com

Get the GALILEO password:
• Click on "Books, Research, & Databases" (midway down on right side of page)
• Click "Catalog Search" from the dropdown menu;
• enter User ID/PIN; (Your library card number/pin)
• Click "Login to the e-Library OPAC";
• Click the blue "My profile" tab and you will find the Galileo password.

When you have the Galileo password:
• click “Home” or go to http://www.afplweb.com
• Click ‘Books, Research, & Databases '
• Click 'A-Z Databases',
• Scroll down to the NetLibrary database.
- remote users are prompted to enter their library card number and PIN
- on the following page, scroll down to and click on GALILEO and enter GALILEO password.
- - Access NetLibrary from the A-Z Database' list or go directly to website.
• Click on Create a Free Account -- at top right of page
• Fill in data, selecting a user name, password, and provide name, address and email address
• Record user info and pin
• Click OK
• You will be signed into NetLibrary to make searches and download audio books

After you obtain a NetLibrary user name and password, you can skip all the above and
• sign in directly, using your user name and password, at the NetLibrary Web site at http://www.netlibrary.com/Gateway.aspx (Bookmark it!)
• Search e-audio books. Specify Title or Author and key in either. The NL search is tricky:
• Even if your search shows no results, be certain to click on the link below the search results to see full results (repeat the search without excluding any results). NL may show none to a few books when there are many, many more on NL. NL search: “To provide you with the best overall search experience, we may have excluded some results of lower relevance. To view all possible search results, you can repeat the search without excluding any results.” Even if the search shows no results!
• download Net Library audiobooks, saving to a folder you can easily find

I just discovered clicking the link to view all possible search results shows books that I had previously thought were not available on NL. Even a very explicit search of book title showed no results and the book did not show until the repeat search link was clicked.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:29 PM

Senior Lounger

Just found this site for free versions of classic Christian books:

http://www.freechristianaudiobooks.com/
Old 04-01-2007, 01:22 PM

To all who post links to sites offering free audiobooks please take the time to read the first post and see if the link your about to post is already posted. Duplicate posting of links will be deleted.

I have taken the time to put most of the links on the first post so you can read through this thread only if you want too.

Last edited by honeybee1236; 04-08-2007 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:33 PM

Senior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee1236
Please take the time to read the first post and see if the link your about to post is already posted. Duplicate posting of links will be deleted.
I did a search in this forum and also this thread to see if it was already posted, and the search came up not found. So I apologize if it was already posted, but if it was, the search function did not find it. I didn't want to read through every single post in the thread. If you have any other suggestions for how to avoid duplicate posts, please let me know.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:23 PM

Freshman Lounger

[QUOTE=maisy]Hi All,

Does anyone use a reliable and legal site that offers free Audio Books?

Thanks in advance,
-----------------------
Here are some others.

http://www.thoughtaudio.com
http://www.audiobooks.net
http://www.bmw-audiobooks.com/

Last edited by fruitcake; 04-07-2007 at 09:25 PM.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:37 PM

[QUOTE=fruitcake]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisy
Hi All,

Does anyone use a reliable and legal site that offers free Audio Books?

Thanks in advance,
-----------------------
Here are some others.

http://www.thoughtaudio.com
http://www.audiobooks.net
http://www.bmw-audiobooks.com/
imho, the bmw free audiobooks are worth less than the trouble to download
Old 04-08-2007, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javabird
I did a search in this forum and also this thread to see if it was already posted, and the search came up not found. So I apologize if it was already posted, but if it was, the search function did not find it. I didn't want to read through every single post in the thread. If you have any other suggestions for how to avoid duplicate posts, please let me know.
My post was not directed at you, per se, but to all who are posting links on this thread. I have had to delete posts because people are not checking the first post to see if the links are already posted. I try to keep up with this thread and put new finds on the first post to make it easy for others to view and use the links instead of going through the entire thread unless they want too. Sorry it came across as if I was only talking about you.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:43 AM

Gangsta On The Prowl

I just noticed on that list the Story Spieler is there twice. Just an observation.
Old 04-21-2007, 02:47 PM

Junior Lounger

is it legal to download these free books? what about copyright by authors?
Old 04-22-2007, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pac
Of course, it is legal to download a free audio book from NetLibrary and OverDrive for which your library has paid a fee just as it is legal for you to check out a book for which the royalty has been paid by your library. There is absolutely no conflict with copyrights since these audio books are licensed to you for a limited period of time during which it is clearly legal for you to play them, royalties having been paid by NL and OD to the publishers/authors. Neither NL or OD books will play on an iPod, since they are in wma protected format.

The user agreement of NL and OD restrict your use of these downloads. There are ways to convert them to iPod files, but a USA federal law prohibits telling anyone how to do so and the user agreement probably prohibits conversion.

Converting an NL or OD file to play on an iPod is may possibly be permitted under fair use for the period of the life of the license to play. That would require one to delete the converted files once the license has expired. To my knowledge, there has been no definitive court ruling on the fair use of a protected wma file converted to iPod format and it may be a violation of the user agreement.

That said, it seems totally unreasonable to prohibit playing a legitimately obtained and licensed file on an iPod. Likewise, it seems equally unreasonable to prohibit playing an iPod formatted file on another mp3 player. Google "Convert Protected WMA to MP3 Unprotect WMA, MP3, AAC, M4A" and you will find ways that purport to do so legally.

Last edited by robert; 04-22-2007 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:24 AM

Senior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pac
I depends on which ones you are talking about. Many of those listed here are in the public domain (like at Gutenburg) and some are offered by the author's themselves.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:05 PM

The Resurrection by Leo Tolstoy free download

"The Christianaudio.com Free Audiobook of the Month for August is Leo Tolstoy's The Resurrection. One of the many classic novels by Tolstoy, The Resurrection explores the depths of human sin, suffering, and redemption.

Just add the download format to your shopping cart and use the coupon code AUG2007 during checkout.

Regularly: $30.98
Our Price: $0.00"

Save to file in your default iTunes music directory and a to iTunes using the
Add File command under File. Using Mozilla FireFox I was able to simultaneously download 4 files at the time, at lower speeds, of course, but unattended. There are 14 mp3 files. See Edit on how to get into iTunes in next post

The Resurrection

by Leo Tolstoy
Publisher: christianaudio PD
Narrator: Simon Vance
Format: Download

Amazon.com reviews (click here)
probably of a different translation.

Last edited by robert; 08-11-2007 at 09:33 PM.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:33 PM

More on The Resurrection Free Download

Could not get to add with Add File to Library Command:

Opened Browser to iTunes Music Library where had downloaded
Highlighted all The Resurrection Files
Opened iTunes
Dragged and Dropped highlighted files into iTunes Music Library (Will not classify as audiobooks unless converted to AAC)
Highlighted all:
Right clicked
Added Album Artist = Tolstoy
Made sure Remember Playback and Skip in Shuffle said yes

Then, individually had to rename each song -- showed up as Part 1, Part 2, etc:
Used naming convention of The Resurrection XX_14, where XX = part number (i.e. 01) by highlighting and then clicking on song name and pasting in The Resurrection and typing rest.

Topic: Free Audiobooks

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.