Free Audiobooks - Page 3 - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Free Audiobooks

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 07-27-2005, 07:11 AM

Senior Lounger

Re: Another Source

Quote:
Originally posted by primaryreality
You can find a free audio version of The Imitation of Christ here:

http://www.ccel.org/k/kempis/imitation2/mp3/

The quality is pretty good, and the site has quite a few other audiobooks (mostly classic Christian texts, but includes some classic fiction) as well and is always adding new ones.

The main site address is: http://www.ccel.org
So you think they have the Da Vinci Code as well?
Old 08-02-2005, 04:26 PM

Junior Lounger

I've separated the free stuff from Telltale into its own site and podcast:

The Spoken Alexandria Project:
http://www.spokenalex.org

Forum Policy - No advertising
Old 08-03-2005, 07:03 PM

Pro Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by david1951
By the way, given the severity of the (silly) US Digital Rights Act (or whatever it's called), should you be telling people that you can get files onto your iPod via the route you describe? Don't want to see you going to jail...

Gosh, this is silly stuff. They are trying to herd cats!
Oddly enough, I don't think that part about being able to get files onto an iPod by burning an audio CD is circumventing DRM; I think that this is OverDrive's response to people who say, "But I want to listen to it on my iPod!" They can say they've provided a means for you to do this. In fact, here's a variant take on the OverDrive DRM in action. I wonder about the accuracy of reporting, though, since I believe the mp3 copies that library borrowers check out and which "are theirs forever" won't play after the borrowing period.

In case you haven't guessed, the TeleRead site is critical of the way digital rights management is being applied, and of OverDrive in particular. They also ran this blog posting about concerns on format and DRM growing along with interest in audiobooks.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:06 PM

You can buy 7 DVD from Books for Free for US $120. Contains most of their books in mp3, 48kbps format. I got one some time back off e-bay direct from them at lower price. With MarkAble merge and quick convert or iTunes 5 make bookmarkable without merger, this is now an easy thing to use.

I couldn't find it, but I think I recall that they mostly used UK narrators. With the exception of the jarring file number announcement, I have enjoyed these.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:37 AM

Senior Lounger

Is there any place I can download free childrens' audiobooks legally? My son is six and has an iPod shuffle. I would like to put some children's audiobooks on there for him.

Last edited by JRoDDz; 07-07-2006 at 01:48 AM.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:11 PM

There are childrens books available if you take the time to click on the links provided.

Please keep this thread on topic. It is to post links to sites that are offering free audiobooks.

Last edited by honeybee1236; 10-05-2005 at 12:15 PM.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:50 PM

JRoDDz - The topic part was not for you since your question was about the subject of this thread but to the others that were posting other topics that are now split off of this thread and put on a separate thread.

The sites posted on this thread are free audiobooks that are legal. If sites are not legal to download audiobooks from then we would remove them from the forum. The links posted are only legal downloads.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:35 PM

Reclined Lounger

JRoDDz: if your son can cope with the poor quality of the free versions (better quality costs a few dollars) then I can recommend the childrens books available from www.audiobooksforfree.com, particularly the Edith Nesbit short stories (the novels such as "Five Children and It" are probably better suited to ages 10-12 - though if the child is listening they probably have better a better comprehension level than reading level at the same age).

There are also some great classic childrens books like all of the Oz series by L.Frank Baum.

-- David
Old 10-06-2005, 03:49 PM

Pro Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by JRoDDz
Is there any place I can download LEGAL free childrens' audiobooks? My son is six and has an iPod shuffle. I would like to put some children's audiobooks on there for him.
You can try the downloadable podcasts from Story Spieler. I've linked to the web page they've recently setup for some of the stories. That also contains a link to their podcasting page. Currently there are some Hans Christian Andersen stories (The Ugly Duckling, The Snow Queen, etc.), Rudyard Kipling's Just So stories, Oscar Wilde's The Canterville Ghost, and the Oz stories, among others. In the past they've read the Dr. Doolitle stories. Some of the stories are for older readers, and there have also been short stories by Bret Harte, excerpts from Robert Louis Stevenson, etc. You can subscribe to the podcasts through the iTunes Music Store -- do a search for Story Spieler.

Another nice site for story readings for a six-yearold is Storyline Online. This site has readings by members of the Screen Actors' Guild of picture books, which are displayed as macromedia flash animations while the book is being read. Some examples are Lou Diamond Phillips reading The Polar Express by Chris Van Allsberg or Al Gore (not a SAG member) reading William Steig's Brave Irene. You can select the size of the movie display in case you are on a slow connection. These are not audiobooks for the shuffle in the sense you described, but your son might enjoy "reading" this with the pictures on the web.

BookPALS also has telephone numbers you can call to hear Storyline readings of other stories by different members of SAG. These are not 800 numbers, so check availability (Arizona, Florida, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, and Minneapolis/St. Paul currently) on the links.
Hope this helps

P.S. The Story Spieler site is also listed in the sticky of podcasts at the top of this forums page, but most of the podcasts listed are not children's stories.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:56 PM

Senior Lounger

Thumbs up

Thanks moriond and david1951 for the suggestions. Appreciate it!
Old 12-13-2005, 12:45 AM

Junior Lounger

I just have to throw a quick plug in for our free directory. We've got a number of free audio books (e.g., Self Reliance, As a Man Thinketh) and we're adding more all of the time (we're going to be releasing a free recording of Siddhartha in a week or two). We also link to over 500 free audio and video resources around the Net. Enjoy!

Free Audio Book Directory
Old 12-14-2005, 08:37 PM

Junior Lounger

Hey Terrell. Jiggerbug is a great site and service. I think an unlimited rental subscription service like what they offer is the wave of the future when it comes to audio books.

Your site looks good. You're certainly welcome to post links to the free audio titles on our site.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:36 AM

Pro Lounger

A Christmas Carol -- being offered as a 5-part podcast by Penguin Audiobooks

A Christmas Carol by Charles DlCKENS and read by Geoffrey Palmer is being released by Penguin Audiobooks as an unabridged audiobook in 5 mp3 podcast files. The first 45-minute episode was released today (December 15). The other segments will be released on December 16, 19, 20, and 21, and they are supposed to remain available through January 3rd (UK dates, I would suppose).

The web site: http://thepenguinpodcast.blogs.com doesn't seem to be accessible right now, but you can subscribe to The Penguin Podcast through the iTunes Music Store Podcast Listings.

Web site is up and working now. Here is their news announcement. Although this is identified there as an unabridged recording (and at 3 hours 14 minutes this is longer than many abridged recordings), the entry in the iTMS and at Audible.com is labeled "Abridged". You can also preview the audiobooks at these two sites before deciding whether you'd like to download the audiobook.

Edited to add last paragraph on current site accessibility

Last edited by moriond; 12-16-2005 at 04:17 AM.
Old 01-08-2006, 06:47 AM

Freshman Lounger

Lightbulb anSWER TO THE PROBLEM

hmm well what i do (cause i love audiobooks) is go to the library and just import ALL of the bloody cd's to the book. this is how i got all my beloved harry potter books. though sometimes i luck out on cabos ("filesharing programme"). however if a lot of the times the bitrate is below 48 and the audio is distorted. that seems to be the line for crappy audiobook quality i suppose.

SO GO TO THE LIBRARY.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:13 PM

Check out LearnOutLoud.com

Currently offering free (free registration required) download of

Siddhartha
by Herman Hesse

Put the book in your shopping cart, register, check out, go to download, choose save the down load in mp4 (which is AAC/m4b) format to your iTunes Music Library, add file to library, and you have a 32kbps download in iTunes bookmarking file ready for manula or auto synch onto your iPod.

Site includes titles from LibriVox catalog (clcik here)

Last edited by robert; 02-14-2006 at 12:45 PM.

Topic: Free Audiobooks

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.