Free Audiobooks - Page 2 - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Free Audiobooks

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 01-19-2005, 02:16 AM

Say David,

I love low-keyed (ones I can understand) Brit accents for audio, especially, as you say, for Brit oriented books. Did you listen to Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell? I liked both the book and narration.
Old 01-19-2005, 04:08 AM

Reclined Lounger

Yes, when I say "British" accents, I don't mean north of England, Scots, Welsh or rustic Devonshire (except where appropriate for characters). I guess I mean "standard English", if not quite the plummy accents which BBC announcers used to have when I was a child.

I've just started listening to Jonathan Strange, and the narration so far is excellent.

Sorry, this is probably off-topic!

-- David
Old 01-24-2005, 01:34 AM

Junior Lounger

The Library

Im surprised that more people dont take advantage of their public library systems. I live in the Seattle area and our library lets you browse the catalogue and order cd-audiobooks from over the internet and the delivers them to our local branch.

I then follow the well put together guides on this forum to convert them to m4b files and its great--I usually encode at th 64kbps stereo level and they sound terrific and you cant beat the price.....

Check your library out, you might be as surprised as I was as to how many great titles they have.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:43 AM

Reclined Lounger

Re: The Library

Quote:
Originally posted by ipodinsane
Im surprised that more people dont take advantage of their public library systems.
The ugly question is: "Is this legal?".

-- David
Old 05-11-2005, 05:29 PM

Reclined Lounger

Re: Re: The Library

Quote:
Originally posted by david1951
To borrow an audio book from the library?
I thought that was the purpose.
If you want to rip it to your hard drive while you are borrowing it, what's the harm done?.........Not any different than dubbing an audio tape to a blank one.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:39 AM

Re: Re: The Library

Quote:
Originally posted by david1951
Do a google on "fair use" I think you will find -- be your own lawyer -- that if you have the tape or cd in your posession, that is, own the right to listen to it, that you can copy it onto your hard drive and iPod. Keeping it beyond that is questionable.

Consult an attorney for legal advice, not a forum.

Posters say that King Library in Seattle offers wma files for download and I am sure that those who have figured out how to convert those to m4b files feel no compunction about converting and placing on iPod.

Last edited by robert; 05-12-2005 at 11:41 AM.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:41 AM

Freshman Lounger

leageltorrents.com has an audiobook version of Lawerence lessig's "Free Culture" and some interesting music

3g 15GB improvPod; HP 7905 XP; Legos
Old 05-18-2005, 08:09 AM

Junior Lounger

Here's a new free SF podcast I'm excited about: a short story every week:

Escape Pod
http://escape.extraneous.org/

Forum Policy - No advertising
Old 07-14-2005, 10:20 PM

I just downloaded one of the ebooks for the Notes section from this site and the books are a free download. I started reading one and it is already sized to fit into the notes. All you have to do is drag-n-drop the ebooks into that section. They do have a large variety to select from and all different categories.

They have both eBooks and audiobooks and some are both. Use the drop down menu to see what formats the books are in and when you see a (.) next to a format that means that format is not available for that book.
http://manybooks.net

They have free audiobooks for download:
http://librivox.org/librivox-catalogue/

Last edited by honeybee1236; 12-20-2006 at 02:56 PM.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:58 PM

Freshman Lounger

Audio Books

Here is a suggestion for free audiobooks: I use my local library, who stocks new and classic fiction and nonfiction audiobooks on CD, which I then transfer to my iPod.

They have books-on-tape as well, which I listen to also, but haven't figured out how to transfer them to digital yet. Any sugestions?

Thanks,
Old 07-19-2005, 08:42 PM

Re: Audio Books

Quote:
Originally posted by whodaddy61

They have books-on-tape as well, which I listen to also, but haven't figured out how to transfer them to digital yet. Any sugestions?

Thanks
Try Guide 1 below for tapes, Guide 4 for CD's to bookmarking iPod files.

Highly recommend using MarkAble in the mp3 to m4b process and for converting cd's to iPod bookmarking files. M4b will give you bookmarking iPod files. If you don't mind the resulting audio books not being in iPod Audiobook main menu entry, not having faster listen, and skip in shuffle, you can use MarkAble v1.2 to very quickly convert mp3 to a bookmarking mp3. It even has a CD wizard to convert to bookmarking ipod files.

Last edited by robert; 07-19-2005 at 09:38 PM.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:16 PM

Pro Lounger

Robert--

Just to clarify your suggestion of using the new Markable v1.2 to make bookmarkable mp3 (rather than m4b) files...I'm pretty sure this will only work with the 4g iPods with the latest firmware (and probably the minis). I'm pretty sure it won't work with 3g or earlier iPods.

dordale
Old 07-20-2005, 05:40 PM

Yes, David says only on clickwheel iPods with latest software.

Sorry for the omission.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:59 PM

Freshman Lounger

Re: Audio Books

Quote:
Originally posted by whodaddy61
Here is a suggestion for free audiobooks: I use my local library, who stocks new and classic fiction and nonfiction audiobooks on CD, which I then transfer to my iPod.

Thanks,

Im not sure if this is a new concept that public libraries are switching to but I live in Houston Texas and the Houston Public Library System has started an audiobook program which allows you to bring in your iPod (or other listening device) and it will sync the audiobook of your choice to it.

Legalistically, it remains without burden since the file is created in a way that it "expires" after 3 weeks and can't be listened to anymore unless you go back and "re check it out".

Just some info for you guys, if you listen to audiobooks as much as I do then it's worth a trip to the library to see if they have set themselves up for this yet. And as far as taking home an old-school Book on tape/CD and loading it onto your hard-drive, the line of demarcation has yet to be answered as to whether that act is illegal, immoral, somewhere between or nowhere at all. It would seem that as long as you are not distributing it further or even *gasp* for a profit, you are no more guilty than a child who makes a photocopy out of a children's book for their own personal enjoyment. But hey, im no lawyer...
Old 07-26-2005, 02:59 PM

Re: Re: Audio Books

Quote:
Originally posted by Weazle
Im not sure if this is a new concept that public libraries are switching to but I live in Houston Texas and the Houston Public Library System has started an audiobook program which allows you to bring in your iPod (or other listening device) and it will sync the audiobook of your choice to it.

Legalistically, it remains without burden since the file is created in a way that it "expires" after 3 weeks and can't be listened to anymore unless you go back and "re check it out".

Just some info for you guys, if you listen to audiobooks as much as I do then it's worth a trip to the library to see if they have set themselves up for this yet. And as far as taking home an old-school Book on tape/CD and loading it onto your hard-drive, the line of demarcation has yet to be answered as to whether that act is illegal, immoral, somewhere between or nowhere at all. It would seem that as long as you are not distributing it further or even *gasp* for a profit, you are no more guilty than a child who makes a photocopy out of a children's book for their own personal enjoyment. But hey, im no lawyer...
Fair Use, which has traditionally been interpreted by the courts to allow the uses you suggest has been prempted by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act which makes it illegal for anyone to even tell how to bypass DRM protection. Since many CD, cassette tape, and mp3 audio books are not digitally protected, the guides on how to convert to bookmarking iPod files seem to be fair use. See this link for a definition of DRM, a link to a comprehensive discussion of fair use, and a link to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

Interesting what your library does with synching iPod's to audio books. First I have heard of it. Excellent. Are the files bookmarking files? Do you know the provider (so that we can bug our libraries to offer the same service)? I went to HPL website and they describe NetLibrary, which I have access to by virtue of a second home. NetLibrary, to my knowledge only offers computer on line download of audio books in wma format which will not play on an iPod. If HPL is offering a direct connect and download into patron's iPods, it must be different.
Quote:

Houston Public Library and its eBook partner netLibrary are excited to offer electronic books to our customers. Currently, two products are available:

There is an easy, but cumbersome, free way to convert and play a wma file on an iPod, but the law regarding DRM makes it a violation of federal law to tell anyone how -- Google Tunebite for starts and only starts.

Interesting

Last edited by robert; 07-26-2005 at 03:59 PM.

Topic: Free Audiobooks

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.