Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Windows Utility to Split .m4b Files?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 12-30-2004, 05:40 PM

Freshman Lounger

Question Windows Utility to Split .m4b Files?

Anyone know of a Windows utility that can split AAC files in M4B format without converting to another format, splitting & re-encoding the pieces?

I have a 3G iPod, so I don't have the 4G mono file lockup problem, but I do have problems with a few very large M4B audiobooks (>150 MB) that frequently halt playback and lose the bookmark, forcing me to scrub back to the previous listening point. I don't seem to have problems with "small" M4B files (under 100 MB or so). I seem to remember Parannoya stating that under 75 MB is safe.

All my "homemade" audiobooks in M4B format are encoded at low bitrates (slightly larger than Audible Format 3), but a few are very long, hence the large file sizes. Because of the low bitrate, if I convert to another format (huge WAV or MP3), split that file, then re-encode the pieces to M4B, the sound quality is terrible -- almost unlistenable. And I shudder at the thought of re-ripping 15-25 CDs per offending audiobook.

Thanks to anyone with some good advice to offer.

Last edited by jaydee; 12-30-2004 at 05:44 PM.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 01-02-2005, 08:38 PM

Reclined Lounger

It's not MUCH of a suggestion, and clunky besides, but - why not just re-rip the last few CDs in the book, from the point on at which you are having problems listening?

-- David
Old 01-02-2005, 09:33 PM

Nom
Junior Lounger

Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net)

Just get the codecs/encoders you need and you're all set.

How to split an audio file (uses a .WAV as an example)
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/faq.php#a7

As far as getting support for the extension you want, I don't know offhand how to set it up. Search the FAQ.

Last edited by Nom; 01-02-2005 at 09:35 PM.
Old 01-02-2005, 11:21 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks for the advice -- I'll give Audacity a look and see if they have a suitable codec for AAC.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:18 AM

Freshman Lounger

A more elegant solution (without recoding) is mp4box (google it) - or, the more user-friendly GUI version called YAMB. It splits a 21h audiobook in about 5 minutes.
A similar tool (for converting or removing audio chapters) is mp4chaps.

Sorry for digging out an ancient thread, but it's still a #1 hit on google. And there is a lot of bad (for slow or costly software) advice on audiobooks out there.

Topic: Windows Utility to Split .m4b Files?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.