Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Ripping audio books (yes, I searched already)

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 12-19-2004, 04:50 PM

Senior Lounger

Ripping audio books (yes, I searched already)

So I've gotten my book from cd to iTunes, ripped each CD as one file, and made the files bookmarkable with the bookmarking script. But as I read through the various discussions of ripping audiobooks, I didn't see anything dealing with the book showing up in "Audiobooks" in the iPod. Mine currently, after following the steps, does not show up in the audiobooks section. Should it? Is it possible? Does that feature only work with Audible books?
Thanks.
Ash

Edit:
Furthermore, it doesn't seem to be bookmarking the files in my iPod. I go to the middle of the track, then listen to a song, go back to the track and it starts at the beginning. The bookmarking feature is supposed to prevent that, right? Why won't it work? In the finder, the tracks for the book are all labeled *.m4b

Last edited by Superweirdash; 12-19-2004 at 04:54 PM.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 12-19-2004, 05:20 PM

Re: Ripping audio books (yes, I searched already)

Quote:
Originally posted by Superweirdash
So I've gotten my book from cd to iTunes, ripped each CD as one file, and made the files bookmarkable with the bookmarking script. ...
doesn't seem to be bookmarking the files in my iPod. In the finder, the tracks for the book are all labeled *.m4b
That your files are not bookmarking suggests that you did not do the AAC conversion prior to changing the extension. After you do the aac conversion, change the extension from m4a to m4b, then change the genre with a right click.

are you mac or PC? Which set of instructions did you follow? See links in signature below.

Please tell me where you missed the turn in the directions so I can edit.
Old 12-19-2004, 06:05 PM

Pro Lounger

Also, what generation of iPod do you have? The special audiobook category exists only on 4gs. The bookmarking feature does work on other iPods.

dordale
Old 12-19-2004, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dordale
Also, what generation of iPod do you have? The special audiobook category exists only on 4gs. The bookmarking feature does work on other iPods.

dordale
Dordale,

Hi, gal, how does your garden grow?

I thought that the audiobook genre was introduced with Audible Download manager for iTunes 4.5+ and I am pretty sure I used it on my 3G. Maybe you meant in main menu, which is on my 4G, but I cannot check for 3G.

You can create any genre name you want to with iTunes -- like even "crappy music." I may have contributed to the confusion when I passd on that 4G skipped audiobook genre. It appears, however, that only the audible and m4b files are skipped in 4G shuffle and that audiobook genre doesn't keep audio books out of 4G Shuffle -- but I haven't tested it fully. I have done an AAC conversion on my iTrip files and changed the extension to m4b and have tested only that they continue to work for iTrip, not sufficiently tested that they are skipped in shuffle. Other threads indicate that m4b files are skipped in 4G shuffle.

Last edited by robert; 12-19-2004 at 06:29 PM.
Old 12-19-2004, 07:34 PM

Pro Lounger

Robert--

You're right, I did mean in the main menu...the 3g's don't have a seperate audio book menu like the 4g's...

dordale
Old 12-20-2004, 12:10 AM

Senior Lounger

I have a 4G.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:07 AM

Senior Lounger

I followed the simplified version of this one (the one with blue text):
http://www.ipodlounge.com/forums/sho...threadid=33491
The genre should be set as Ripped CD's, right? Or Audiobooks? I definitley changed the extension to m4b, both in finder and with the applescript for itunes.
Old 12-20-2004, 03:29 AM

Pro Lounger

Superweirdash--

You may be having the same problem I had when I first tried to get "bookmarkable" files on my iPod. I followed all the steps (or so I thought) and I still couldn't get iPod to recognize the bookmarkable files.

Finally figured out that even though I had converted my files to bookmarkable files, these files were copies of the original mp3 files I had. When I was re-loading the files on to my iPod, I wasn't loading the converted files, but was reloading the originals. I needed to delete the original files and add the newly converted files to iTunes. Once I did this everything worked.

Hope this helps...
dordale
Old 12-20-2004, 09:35 AM

The first post instructions have been edited, but not the simplified, to make file management easier -- thereby avoiding the problem Dordale describes. You may have, as she suggests, renamed your mp3 files or imported your mp3 files (not the rename and import the m4a files) into iTunes. You can right click a file name, select show file, and see if you have an m4b file. However, that will not help you if you renamed an mp3 file. Do you remember clearly renaming from m4a?

Having made several serious edits without changing the "blue" instructions, I have edited out the simplified instructions and may modify them and edit them back in the second post. The simplified instructions no longer closely follow the detailed and edited longer set of instructions. If you become desperate for the "blue" instructions, pm me and I will send them to you.

The genre can be whatever you want it to be. If you are 4G and wish to use the audiobook entry on the main menu, then name them audio book. I create smart playlists on my iPod -- one for audible.com, one for ripped cd's (Genre = audiobooks, playcount = 0 and another Genre = Ripped CD's, playcount = 0)

Sorry you had the difficulties. Thanks for the feedback, it helps. I had sorta fogotten about the simplified instructions.

Last edited by robert; 12-20-2004 at 09:47 AM.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:59 PM

Senior Lounger

Yes, I definitley renamed from m4a. In iTunes, it shows the file type as "Protected audio file.", so I think it worked. The instructions are fantastic, so there is no reason to apologize.
Thanks for the help,
Ash.
Old 12-20-2004, 03:13 PM

Senior Lounger

I just tried my iPod again, it works this time! Don't know why it didn't before. Thanks.
Old 12-22-2004, 04:37 PM

Senior Lounger

One more question: What's the best mp3/AAC merging software avalaible for mac?
Thanks.
Old 12-28-2004, 02:31 PM

Junior Lounger

One way to merge mp3s on a mac is to simply 'cat' them into one file from the terminal.

Example, if you have track1.mp3, track2.mp3 and track3.mp3 which you wish to join into book.mp3:

cat track1.mp3 track2.mp3 track3.mp3 > book.mp3

or even

cat track*.mp3 > book.mp3

This works with all MP3 files, except I have noticed that iTunes does not read the merged file correctly if the source files were encoded with a variable bitrate (VBR). You can still decode it using LAME though and re-encode the WAV to AAC in iTunes.

I don't believe you can join AAC (.m4a) file that way.

iPod 60GB Black - iTunes - Mac G4
Playlist: http://www.rudism.com/music

Topic: Ripping audio books (yes, I searched already)

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.