Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: best way to preserve my Audible books?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 10-22-2004, 09:44 AM

Junior Lounger

best way to preserve my Audible books?

I have a pretty good handful of audio books I've purchased from Audible.com. Is there a way I can preserve these in case Audible goes out of business or something? I understand why they do everything they can to protect their product but what happens in 3 years when I've spent a fortune on books and then they're all just gone??

I know that burning to a CD is an option but I'd need so many CD's just for one book. What about a DVD? Or mini disc?

Does anyone do this?

Thanks

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 10-22-2004, 10:28 AM

Junior Lounger

Burn a data cd instead of an audio cd? Get a drive to back up your data? I have probably 20 audible books on my iPod at the moment and they really don't take up that much space in the grand scheme of things, with CDs so cheap and available, and hard drive space being about $1 per GB.
Old 10-22-2004, 11:59 AM

Pro Lounger

Prudence--

Burning to a data cd is a good idea for backing up audible books--as long as audible stays in business! If audible goes out of business, it could be quite hard to get a current program that will allow you to access audible books (considering the DRM built in to the file).

I don't know of any easy way to back up books...other than burning to a cd.

Of course, one can make mp3s from cds, but this is quite a labor intensive process!

dordale
Old 10-23-2004, 02:51 AM

Junior Lounger

Is there DRM built into the system? Cause I have backed up my audible books on CD. To put them back on my ipod I just copy them to the HD and drag and drop into itunes. Maybe its different for mac?
Old 10-23-2004, 05:02 AM

Reclined Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by outofgum
Is there DRM built into the system? Cause I have backed up my audible books on CD. To put them back on my ipod I just copy them to the HD and drag and drop into itunes. Maybe its different for mac?
It's the DRM which is the issue. It's easy to back up the .aa files, and I regularly do so, mostly making a big compilation on DVD-ROM. But the .aa files would be useless if you weren't able to register your machine and audio player with Audible. It's a question of how paranoid you are. Me, personally, I'm pretty paranoid! Burning audio CDs is at least secure, if bulky and time-consuming.

-- David
Old 10-23-2004, 05:52 AM

Freshman Lounger

what about just storing them on a separate hard drive - will there be a problem with authorising things in the future if audible do go bust? Why would copying them to a cd be better than copying them to a hard drive?
Old 10-23-2004, 10:26 AM

Pro Lounger

The best thing is to just back up your data files. It can be on CD-R or a hard drive, or whatever backup medium you choose.

Audible has been around since 1997 and they survived the collapse of the internet bubble. Today, they have a strong partnership with Apple so I don't think there is much to worry about them going out of business.

But if anything were to happen, you will still be able to access your books as data files (Audible Audio format). There are millions of Audible files in circulation so you can bet people will be accessing them. Check back here if it ever comes to that and you'll be able to find instructions.

fka parannoya
New! 4Gig Nano
iPod: 15 gig 3G with 2.1 / 6G iPod Mini / Shuffle-512mb

iTunes for Win 4.6 (w/Audible Download Helper plug-in)
Computer: Win XP
Old 10-23-2004, 11:25 AM

Pro Lounger

parannoya--

Very good point about all the audible files currently "in the wild"

Also about Audible staying in business...When I first joined audible over three years ago, I was so impressed with the company and product, I bought a few shares of their stock. The purchase price was about $1,80 a share (adjusted for reverse split made this year). Currently the stock price is hovering around $19.00/share--certainly wish the rest of my portfolio had even performed 1/10 as well!!

dordale

Topic: best way to preserve my Audible books?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.