Audiobook playback stops on large files

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

tccook

I've got a couple of 280MB sized AAC files loaded on my ipod as audio books. They load, they play but after a few minutes, they just stop and my ipod goes back to the 'main' page (like when you just turned it on). I go back to my audiobook and the bookmark position is lost and I have to start over.

Is there a file size limit that I am exceeding? I've converted an mp3 to an m4a file and then renamed to m4b so I can bookmark.

Thanks.

Podunk

You need to cut the files up into segments of 80mb or less. The iPods buffer will not hold a 250mb file.

robert

Retired
I just downloaded The Red Tent from audible.com and it is 162 mb and I have listened to a homemade m4b file that was 308 mb. I have had stuttering and skipping trouble with files larger than that, however.

outofgum

I haven't had problems with a 280 mb audio book... ripped harry potter to a single 280 mb file and it plays fine.

stinkiedmb

teh 1337 pwn3r!!!11one1!!
ive had issues with the ipod either skipping a song or returning to the main menu after playing about the first 20 seconds of a 30.9MB apple lossless file.

i really hope the next gen has a larger memory buffer to address this issue as well as increase battery life and decrease skipping occurances.

come onnnnn 5th gen....

Halfnote37

File Size Question

I am reading on here that the files need to be broken down to 80 meg sizes or less to play right, but even after doing that I am still having trouble with my audio books badly skipping/stuttering. I even put the uncombined individual chapter files on the i-pod which are around 3-5 meg each with no improvement, so either I missed something or file size must not be the problem or not the only problem. I am very frustrated that I can play 7 gig movie files without a hitch but little audio files, which is what I-Pod was designed to play in the first place are giving me fits. FYI I have an 80 gig I-Pod with video. Any help would greatly appreciated.

frodoboom

Drive

I don't know how it works with iPod Nano/Touch or other flash iPods, but i have problems playing audiobooks on 3rd/4th/5th gen iPod Classics (Coined for clarity) because they refuse to buffer as much as they can and simply buffer 10 second segments. I don't understand why it doesn't just buffer 30 minutes or so of it and then spin hard drive when that buffer expires...maybe apple should look into supporting things that are for sale on the iTunes store.