Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Guides. Create Bookmarking Files (Mac&PC), Cassette Tape, LP & CD(PC)

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 01-02-2006, 10:21 AM

MP3 conversions not xfering to iPod and in shuffle

Reply to pm in italics in quote. Posting in thread for mp3 guide conversions as well so that all the resources of forum can address your problem as it develops.

Regards.

Robert
Quote:
homerjay78 wrote on 01-02-2006 03:52 AM:
Hi:

I was looking at the posts for audiobooks and I see that you seem to the one with the most information on audiobooks on iPods. I followed your tutorial for converting MP3's to MB4's and transferring them over, however I am having some difficulties.

1) The first time I transferred files to iPod, not all of the files made it into the 'Audiobooks' folder. Some were only showing up as Songs. I deleted everything on the iPod and put it all back on, and that seems to have fixed it. Didn't do anything differently at all. Don't know if that is just a glitch, or if maybe I'm doing something incorrectly.

I have never had this problem, so perhaps it is an anomoly. Hope so, anyway. How did you xfer -- drag and drop? If so, perhaps you accidentally missed some.

2) No matter what I do, I cannot seem to get the *.mb4 files to show up ONLY in the Audiobook folder. They are all still showing up in the general folder, and come up when I shuffle music.

Any *.m4b file (and iTMS and audible.com audio books) should show up in audiobook main menu folder and will also show when you look at all "songs" on your iPod. That doesn't mean the files are on your iPod twice as the audiobook main menu folder is an index that does not duplicate the files. Smart Playlists and Playlists are a possible solution to what you may want. See first link in signature below for links to smart playlists.
Any *.m4b file should skip in main menu shuffle. Are you using main menu shuffle or another?
Do all the files show *m4b extension?
Go to one of the files and r click and choose info and then options tab. Are the checks for Remember Playback Position and Skip When Shuffling greyed out? They should be for *.m4b file.

I am working with my new 60G 5th gen iPod, and noticed that your tutorial was written prior to the 5G release. I didn't know if you had heard of any changes in the software that might cause this issue.

Works fine on my 5G, so should on yours.

Thank you very much in advance for any help you might be able to offer on this subject. I have been working on this for about 6 hours now, and am going just a bit crazy at this point :-D

Thanks very much! and have a great day!

Sorry you are having difficulty. I can sympathize when I think back to how many little nagging problems of this sort this forum had as it jointly discovered how to make mp3s and CDs bookmarkable.
Try the free trial, full function MarkAble shareware (also linked below) and see if that automated process does something you missed or I failed to adequately explain in guide.
I plan to update the two main guides to incorporate the new mp3 bookmarking capability in the r click info process described above as soon as I have the time.

Last edited by robert; 01-02-2006 at 10:29 AM.