Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Placeing Chapter-breaks in .M4b (AAC)

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 08-11-2004, 07:58 PM

All Rush, All the time...

Placeing Chapter-breaks in .M4b (AAC)

I know about the .M4a (AAC) to .M4b or '.M4b ' (4 character non protected), to enable 'Bookmarks' on the iPod and in iTunes!
But, I was wondering if there was a way to press Next - Prev to navigate the Audiobook better?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 08-15-2004, 04:56 PM

Junior Lounger

For windows you can do Ctrl+Shift and the arrow keys to skip around bookmarks. Not sure about the key combo for the Mac though
Old 08-22-2004, 12:32 AM

Freshman Lounger

On the mac it is shift command left/right arrow to jump between the chapter marks.

Now what I want to know is how to put these into a file. They appear to be like quicktime chapters (try loading one of the files into quicktime and it has that behavior).

Does anyone know of any tools to do this? It would be useful for a number of things in iTunes (like mixcds).

g
Old 08-22-2004, 01:13 AM

Power Lounger

How do you add chapters to songs?

I tried searching but to no avail

iPod 3g 20Gb, got it on 10th Feb 2004
iPod 5g 30GB, got it on 4th Nov 2005

Linkin Park
Old 08-22-2004, 02:55 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by EvilDude
How do you add chapters to songs?

I tried searching but to no avail
I've been trying to figure it out for ages. I'd love to even have a nice little perl script for doing it. My guess is that it wouldn't be too difficult if I had a clue about the actual aac file format and how to tweak things in it.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:25 PM

For chapters for audio books from mp3 files, what about this?

Use mp3 merger freeware to merge the mp3 files of each chapter into one file:

Create a working folder in itunes -- something like "mp3 working folder."

1. Download the mp3 files into the mp3 working folder

2. in mp3 merger click on add and then browse to select/open to chapter folder in mp3 working folder file. (shift/select the last mp3 file in the list to highlight all the folders)

3. Open all that chapter's mp3 files into mp3 merger

3. Click the Sort button

4. Change the mp3 merger output file name as follows by cutting and pasting from:
C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\mp3 Working Folder\Book Name\01. Chapter Name\output.mp3
To: C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\mp3 Working Folder\Book Name\01. Chapter Name.mp3 Be sure to use 01, 02, etc convention for naming to keep in order. Can't imagine, but 001. if over 99 chapters.

5. Add each of the chapters into iTunes

6. Individually for each file do the aac conversion, rename, and add renamed files to iTunes.

7. Delete contents of mp3 working file. Also delete from Recyle so you will not have heaps of files on your hard disc

8. Go to info and be sure the Album name is Book Name

8. Create a Smart List on iPod

Playlist Name = Book Name
Matching:
Album = Book Name
Play Count = 0 (optional, but would make each book go away after being listened to. Chapter isn't there, but shows until you go thru a menu cycle)

9. Sort by song in ascending order so that chapter groupings will be in proper sequence on iPod, and then Drag and drop group to iPod.

You will have an entry in the smart list for each chapter, but the iPod will move smoothly to the next chapter and you can reset playcount to 0 in iTunes. If you want to move freely between chapters, skip the playcount = 0 matching in smartplaylist set up.

Last edited by robert; 09-01-2004 at 04:21 PM.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:51 PM

Yeah that's a longwinded (oh yeah I'm One to talk!), way of doing it! On the whole it would work, save the fact that the qustion was: How could I use Apples .M4b to mimic Audibles .aa Format in that these 'Chapter breaks' would be embedded into One File or within multiple parts of say Three Hours each.

At the moment I can set Bookmarks and such but if the File 'Hiccups' I have to start the File over from scratch and use the 'Wheel' to Fast Forward back to the place I previously left (was forced), off of. It would be cool if I could use the Next button to jump to the next Break Point....

Old 08-30-2004, 01:19 PM

Pro Lounger

Robert--

It's interesting...I've never had problems with dragging and dropping my "group of chapters" as a whole. They appear in the correct order always. I wonder what I'm doing differently than you?

dordale
Old 08-30-2004, 09:20 PM

Ichijoe

When does your file hiccup? I have lost very few bookmarks since I began doing one of three things: Plug iPod into firewire or charger or go to menu to change the current "song." All these force iPod to put in a more reliable bookmark.

Sorry for the long-winded. I am working on a post for a beginners guide to converting mp3 files to bookmarkable ipod/itunes files and I had just gone thru that, and wanted to capture that part.

Robert
Old 08-30-2004, 10:51 PM

Pro Lounger

Geez....how many more posts do we need explaining how to turn mp3 files into bookmarkable files? It seems we pretty much beat it to death already, dont'cha think?

fka parannoya
New! 4Gig Nano
iPod: 15 gig 3G with 2.1 / 6G iPod Mini / Shuffle-512mb

iTunes for Win 4.6 (w/Audible Download Helper plug-in)
Computer: Win XP
Old 08-31-2004, 01:23 AM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by parannoya
Geez....how many more posts do we need explaining how to turn mp3 files into bookmarkable files? It seems we pretty much beat it to death already, dont'cha think?
No this thread is about adding chapter bookmarks to files like the Audible files have. This would let you hit next or prev to forward or back in book intead of using scroll wheel and guessing at where chapter is. This is a great feature for people who use itunes at home and ipod remote. The place holder bookmarks are not synced.
Old 08-31-2004, 02:49 AM

Pro Lounger

Robert--

Yup, I'm a gal I don't think this would make a difference, but you never know...

I am doing everything in iTunes...What I do after I've made the playlist is drag and drop the whole playlist onto the iPod. Is this what you do?

dordale
Old 08-31-2004, 07:11 AM

I think the 'File' in question hicupps because: 1) The entire Playtime is just over 25 1/2 Hours, and 2) The File size is just over 150MB's I think I'll try re-ripping that Book again into nice sizable 6 Hour blocks of about ~80MB's (or so each). That should probably take care of it. Incase anyone is intersted the Book in question is Harry Potter: And The Order Of The Phoneix...

Old 08-31-2004, 10:50 AM

Pro Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by SouthPaw
No this thread is about adding chapter bookmarks to files like the Audible files have. This would let you hit next or prev to forward or back in book intead of using scroll wheel and guessing at where chapter is. This is a great feature for people who use itunes at home and ipod remote. The place holder bookmarks are not synced.
Southpaw, I'm with it. I was responding directly to a comment above about creating a new post explaining how to make bookmarkable files from MP3 or CD's.. Thats the one I think is pretty thoroughly covered already and just keeps getting regurgitated over and over again. (instead of people just referring to the exisiting posts).

AFAIK, so far there's no way to add section markers to the .m4b files that the iPod will read.

P

fka parannoya
New! 4Gig Nano
iPod: 15 gig 3G with 2.1 / 6G iPod Mini / Shuffle-512mb

iTunes for Win 4.6 (w/Audible Download Helper plug-in)
Computer: Win XP
Old 08-31-2004, 03:03 PM

Has anyone ever bought an Audiobook from the ITMS? As I understand it Apple sells there Audiobook in the .M4b Format. I would have thought they sold that stuff in the Audible .aa Format.
But, to get to the point do these Audiobooks from Apple contain 'Chapter Breaks'?? If yes then there must be a way to do it. If not then why?? As this would make a decent feature. And ofcourse it could prove to be a groundbreaker for Gapless Playback (Pink Floyd Albums)...

Topic: Placeing Chapter-breaks in .M4b (AAC)

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.