Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Complete Beginner

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 11-22-2005, 10:22 PM

Junior Lounger

Robert,
Thanks for the great tutorial "To Recover from an aborted iTunes burn". Is there any way to prevent these aborts happening in the first place? I have the latest iTunes 6.x on a fairly up spec system with 2GB Ram. Invariably when I go to burn a large audiobook like "History of Britain" to CD the first disc burns OK but does not continue on to subsequent disc's. I get a momentary "please insert blank disc" but it disspears and the process stops. Then at some point during the manual recovery process (manually netering start points) it comes good and starts asking for subsequent disks. Any ideas on what the cause might be?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 11-23-2005, 03:37 AM

Pro Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by logger
I have the latest iTunes 6.x on a fairly up spec system with 2GB Ram. Invariably when I go to burn a large audiobook like "History of Britain" to CD the first disc burns OK but does not continue on to subsequent disc's. I get a momentary "please insert blank disc" but it disspears and the process stops. Then at some point during the manual recovery process (manually netering start points) it comes good and starts asking for subsequent disks. Any ideas on what the cause might be?
Logger,

This seems to be a bug that has been intermittantly occurring in iTunes 6.x according to some posts in the Apple Discussion forums. Some people have found that if they just leave the process alone, within 1-3 minutes the burn resumes. One poster commented that this behavior looked like the "two-minute hangs" he would see on his Dell when trying to burn CDs under iTunes 4.9. He fixed that by checking the Dell site for upgrades.

Sorry not to have a better answer.
Old 11-25-2005, 05:15 PM

Senior Lounger

I am burning CDs of an Audible.com book using iTunes on a Mac. All software (both the Mac OS and iTunes) is up-to-date.

My question: Is there any way to burn the CDs with tracks? When I burn CDs using Audible Manager on a PC, AM places tracks that are about 7 minutes long, each.

Thanks!
Old 11-25-2005, 10:42 PM

Pro Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by arsolot
I am burning CDs of an Audible.com book using iTunes on a Mac. All software (both the Mac OS and iTunes) is up-to-date.

My question: Is there any way to burn the CDs with tracks? When I burn CDs using Audible Manager on a PC, AM places tracks that are about 7 minutes long, each.

Thanks!
Hi arsolot,

Is this a change of platform? The last Audible book I burned to CD with iTunes on a Mac wrote out into tracks set by the chapter markers moderated by whatever start and stop times I set under the options pane of Get Info. I think that's how Audible Manager burned the CD, too (but I last used this under Windows for burning over two years ago). No option to split the chapters into tracks about 7 minutes long, each.

The only occasions when I want to take control of the Audible CD burn is when I want to split up tracks by stories or poems, and then an automatic split doesn't work for me, anyway. For the general case of splitting tracks (by silence) I use my editing program, Amadeus II, which does this really well in an automated fashion.

Sorry not to have a better answer. (Should I say welcome to the Mac?)
Old 11-25-2005, 11:07 PM

Senior Lounger

moriond:

You must be correct about tracks on the CDs that are set by the .aa file's chapter marks. Each of the CDs I burned using iTunes have only 2 very long tracks. There doesn't seem to be any way that I know of to have more tracks on the CDs.

Not really a platform change, but I do have 2 Macs available to me for my use. My wife and my son (a senior in HS) have Mac iBook computers. My own home desktop (a WinXP machine) is having some problem that manifests itself in an adamant refusal to permit me to burn CDs and DVDs. So, I decided to burn the Audible audiobook CDs using one of the Macs.

I was then surprised to learn that there's not a Mac version of Audible Manager (which does place lots of tracks on each CD) and that one is required to use iTunes to burn audiobooks onto CDs if one uses a Mac.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:33 AM

Updated guide on burning audiobook CDs Using Audible Manager for PC

Updated the PC guide for burning audio CDs with Audible Manager. Audible has made AM look much more like iTunes and it is now even simpler. AM for PC remains better than iTunes for burning audio CDs. Will be nice when boot camp 1.0 comes out.

PC Guide to Burn Standard Audio Book CDs from iTunes files
Old 12-23-2008, 08:34 PM

Freshman Lounger

thank you!

This has been driving me absolutely crazy - previously I was reburning discs in itunes if the burn had been interrupted. Thank you!
Old 04-18-2012, 02:35 PM

Freshman Lounger

Additional help for burn from itunes on mac

I kept having failures in burns and turned to this site for help.

However, even though I set the start and end time correctly for the one CD out of 9 I was missing, itunes would not let me burn an audible file more than once. (This is despite audible's official help page directing me to do just as you have suggested here.) Ugh.

What it suggests here is a couple hints:
  • burn your CD at the lowest possible speed to minimize errors
  • use high quality CD-Rs (not CD-RW)
  • choosing FORMAT 4 when you download

I'm trying this now, with fingers crossed. I've already deleted my audible account because their customer service is horrendous and it's too complicated to link downloads with my ipod and kindle. Too bad because I want to support the podcast they have a deal with.

Anyway, hope this helps somebody else!
Old 02-22-2014, 08:46 PM

Freshman Lounger

thanks. good information

Topic: Complete Beginner

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.