Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Beginners Guide. Copying an Audio CD to a Bookmarking iPod File. All iTunes process.

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 11-10-2007, 11:43 PM

Junior Lounger

SmartLists are by far the easiest solution. But there are downsides, beyond the shuffle conundrum listed above.

You might expect an iPhone menu for AudioBooks to contain AudioBooks you have ripped, for example.
You might not want your audiobooks populating the music library, nor want them showing up in Coverflow.

And the AAC conversion at least would be necessary, for the sped up listening option.

Similarly, it would be nice if video podcasts were separate from audio podcasts, but the built in smart playlists don't do the job.

Is there an automator option or applescript (tiger) for the above process of converting a ripped audiobook to something iTunes, and pods and phones, will automatically recognize as audiobooks?

AKA the poster formerly known as
Youasktoomuch

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 04-06-2008, 12:24 AM

Freshman Lounger

Audia book length

I have a brand new question. I am buying iPod Nanos to use in my first grade classroom. One thing they will be used for is listening to childrens' books. Many I will download from iTunes and audible books. Some I will record. Does anyone know about how much time of spoken word equals a gig? Also, some of the books have multiple voices so I will want them in stero. What is the kbps bit rate I should use for book download to get the best sound but not waste space?
Thanks for your help.
candyganzel2004@yahoo.com
Old 04-06-2008, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cganzel
I have a brand new question. I am buying iPod Nanos to use in my first grade classroom. One thing they will be used for is listening to childrens' books. Many I will download from iTunes and audible books. Some I will record. Does anyone know about how much time of spoken word equals a gig? Also, some of the books have multiple voices so I will want them in stero. What is the kbps bit rate I should use for book download to get the best sound but not waste space?
Thanks for your help.
candyganzel2004@yahoo.com
Intriguing. I read somewhere that some children having reading problems were helped by listening to a reading of a story that they followed on the page.

The highest quality audible.com is 32 kbps stereo which roughly translates to 14 mb per hour of audio. It is more than adequate, though some posters prefer in the 40's. You will have to have a huge amount of audio to consume a gb.

Thanks for being a dedicated and innovative teacher.

If you have a Mac, you can use Garage Band to record and also to mix in background music. If you are fortunate enough to have an Apple Store in your city, sign up for $99 annual one-to-one and you can get once a week hour long sessions during which they will walk you through how to's and help you with specific problems or recordings.

If your public library has NetLibrary or OverDrive electronic audio downloads available, , these electronic files can be converted for use on iPod. PM me if you are interested.

Best to you.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:01 PM

see post in iTunes 8 thread re one click convert to audibooks. Will have to rework tutorials -- much easier now.

Topic: Beginners Guide. Copying an Audio CD to a Bookmarking iPod File. All iTunes process.

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.