Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iTunes Renaming Files Upon Import

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 10-07-2013, 11:26 AM

Freshman Lounger

iTunes Renaming Files Upon Import

I'd love some feedback on a crazy rip/import issue that I have.
I'm rip/importing an audiobook in iTunes and the title names are incorrect. The auto searches are returning incorrect information.

Since this is for an audiobook I needed to have all the tracks in a sortable order. When you consider that there are over 900 tracks to rename, doing so manually would be almost impossible. So, I had a neat idea. I decided to import a disk, then use a small perl script to rename the files. This would allow me to number the tracks appropriately - "001 - The Sicilian". Finally, I would remove the entries from iTunes, then re-add the renamed files. This would pick up the new track name as the song title. And, all the files would be named in a sortable format.

Here's where the problem is... After the re-import, iTunes renames the files back to what they were when first imported. Thus undoing all the changes I made.

If anyone has any ideas/suggestions/solutions they would be greatly appreciated. (PC, Windows7-64)

AudiobookGuy

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 10-07-2013, 12:04 PM

Veteran Lounger

iTunes uses ID3 tags other other embedded tags for track information, not the file name. You should be able to use a tag editor to automate changing the tag info to match the file name.

64GB iPad 3, 64GB iPhone 5s, 1G 16GB touch, 4G & 6G Silver 16GB nano, 5G 60GB iPod, 1G AppleTV, 2G ATV, Late 2013 27" iMac
Old 10-07-2013, 02:10 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks. I'll look for one that has the tools I'm looking for and see how that goes.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:08 PM

Veteran Lounger

Back when I was a Windows user I found .:: The GodFather ::. to be a good free and powerful tag editor.

64GB iPad 3, 64GB iPhone 5s, 1G 16GB touch, 4G & 6G Silver 16GB nano, 5G 60GB iPod, 1G AppleTV, 2G ATV, Late 2013 27" iMac

Topic: iTunes Renaming Files Upon Import

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.