Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Audiobooks Media Kind cf Audiobooks Genre

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 01-10-2011, 03:07 AM

Freshman Lounger

Question Audiobooks Media Kind cf Audiobooks Genre

I currently use a PC.
I have about 500Gb of Audio Files on an external HDD.
They are all MP3, and they are all spoken word - audiobooks (mainly), but also radio shows, plays and stand-up comedy albums, etc.
I currently use Media Monkey to catalogue and organise them.
I am about to switch to a Mac and then, of course, I will use iTunes, together with my virgin iPod.
I want them all to be bookmarkable, not just the audiobooks.
I have read as much as I can of the forums, and in particular Jesse David Hollington's extremely helpful Complete Guide to iTunes Audiobooks, Podcasts + iTunes U.
Two questions:
1. Can I, in the Get Info>Options>Media Kind tab, include all my files as "Audiobook", regardless of their tagged Genre; or do I have to change the Genre to Audiobook in all cases?
2. Does iTunes limit what descriptions I can use in Genres for my various type of file in any case?
Any help would be appreciated, so I can get the library as organised as possible before getting bogged down in learning a whole ne computer and OS.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:10 AM

Veteran Lounger

No need to change Genre to Audiobook (and perhaps more importantly, no benefit ;-)

You can put anything you want in the Genre field. Not sure if iTunes imposes a length limit.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:37 AM

iTunes does not impose any length limits, but iPods do.

Generally if each file is 5 hours or less you will have no issues.
Here is an old post where someone analyzed all the variables to determine the max size
Maximum Length of a Stable M4A Audiobook

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 01-11-2011, 12:44 AM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks to both of yoy, I now have answers to both my questions.

I had, of course, read all the threads about problems with length; but, unfortunately, after I had joined the books into one file each.

And, of course, there are almost no decent books under 5 hours in length - although many do come in at 6-8 hours.

So, all I can do is listen to them on the iPod and, if they get too choppy, listen to the rest the old-fashioned way; ie, falling asleep in the armchair listening to the talking wireless computer.

Once again, thanks for your help.

Overall, this is one of the very best "information" sites I have found anywhere on the web on any topic.

Topic: Audiobooks Media Kind cf Audiobooks Genre

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.