Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Audiobook sources

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 11-21-2010, 05:14 AM

Freshman Lounger

Audiobook sources

So - where do people buy their audiobooks? I've never bought one before, mainly listened radio productions. I've just got an ipad and am wondering where the best place to buy is - perhaps you can help me out?

- itunes
- audible
- weread4you
- talking-book-store
- any others?

(I also want to listen on my mp3 player, if that makes a difference)

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 11-21-2010, 01:11 PM

Veteran Lounger

What mp3 player? To play Audible Books, as well as other purchased books, your mp3 player must support their files or copy-protection. The iPad and iPods will play Audible however older mp3 players from other manufacturers may not.

I like Audible, which I believe are the same books iTunes sells. iTunes is convenient but for the most part Audible is cheaper with a membership. You can buy book individually but for a $15 a month Gold membership you get 1 credit which is good for most books they sell as well as reduced pricing on other books. If you want more books a month there is a platinum memberships that offers 2 credits. Credits can accumulate to 5 and 10 credits.

The main reason I like Audible is they allow you to download your purchases as many times as you want. They have a variety of formats offering lower quality for smaller file sizes if you don't have the memory. When they upgrade the quality of their audio or you get a player with more memory you can go back and download another copy at no cost. It also means you do not have to store the old books on your hard drive, since you can go back and view your library on their web site and download a book again if you want to listen to it again.

64GB iPad 3, 64GB iPhone 5s, 1G 16GB touch, 4G & 6G Silver 16GB nano, 5G 60GB iPod, 1G AppleTV, 2G ATV, Late 2013 27" iMac
Old 11-21-2010, 02:40 PM

Free -
Library - Audio book CDS
Library - Overdrive Download Center

Buy -
Any book store (Barnes & Noble)
Walmart
etc

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 11-22-2010, 08:22 AM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks for the link Honeybee1236, I'll peruse that list at length. I've had some bad experiences with free audio before, but it's not going to cost me anything to look into it!

Sparkee, the mp3 player is a Sony NWZ-B152B. 2GB so should be enough for audiobooks?

Unfortunately cjmnews I'm in the UK, and I don't think we have a library download service (at least not where I am).

Hmm Audible does look good, though I'm not sure yet that I want to subscribe, or if I might want to get lots in one go. I don't know much about talking-book-store but they look quite expensive on some things. Good to know that itunes and Audible are basically the same thing! Keeps me from poring over both of them :-) My mum uses weread4you. They look comparable to Audible's subscription price on some things... Anyone heard anything about them?

In the meantime I'll look at Honeybee's list, and try out the free audiobooks from Audible and weread4you. Thanks a lot!
Old 11-22-2010, 07:31 PM

Veteran Lounger

It's not so much the memory size, Audible and iTunes audiobooks are still in a copy protected format. If the Sony does not support Audible's files it will not play them and probably will not play Apple's audiobooks.

64GB iPad 3, 64GB iPhone 5s, 1G 16GB touch, 4G & 6G Silver 16GB nano, 5G 60GB iPod, 1G AppleTV, 2G ATV, Late 2013 27" iMac
Old 01-05-2011, 12:48 AM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks for the sources, thought I'd share one of my favourites -
Code:
audiobookshelf.blogspot

Topic: Audiobook sources

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.