Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Advancing between parts in an audiobook

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 09-16-2010, 12:44 PM

Freshman Lounger

Advancing between parts in an audiobook

I have been listening to audiobooks on my itouch from audible.com with great success.Recently my library has started offering audiobook downloads to its patrons using Overdrive. Since the library only subscribes to downloads to an ipod using a PC and not a MAC I have to go to the library and use their computers to do this. The only problem I have had is every book I have downloaded randomly selects parts of the book to play. In other words if the book is divided into 6 parts it may start on part one finish it and then instead of starting part two it may skip to 5 then finish that and go to 3. I have not had this proble with any of the audible.com downloads. Only help I got from Overdrive was to inquire if I had my device set on shuffle... answer...nope. They also suggested I download Overdrive to my ipod and get the books directly but the whole point of going through the library is that it is free for me. The library is at a loss to explain this problem to me. The service is just getting started so there has not been much feedback yet. Any suggestions?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:26 AM

This is usually caused by bad tagging. The track and or disc numbers need to be set properly.

Overdrive usually sets them for me fine, they usually set the track number to the part of the book it is. It's not perfect as it sets the Track to "1" instead of "1 of 7" but it still works.

If there are track numbers, perhaps the playlist you are using is sorted by something odd. I typically sort Album by Artist for audiobooks and it seems to work fine.

If you have only 1 book on your device you can sort by track number to get the proper order.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 09-20-2010, 02:47 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks for the info. On my ipod touch Overdrive downloads the books in parts having nothing to do with actual parts in the book. They further subdivide the parts into chapters, again having nothing to do with actual chapters in the book. Within each "part" on my ipod I do not have any problem with the progression between "chapters".The play in order. I can stop and pick up at the same point and I can skim up or down within a chapter or part. The parts are numbered correctly in order. The only problem I have is at the end of the "part" it advances randomly.Overdrive is blaming this on ipods in general saying that they have trouble recognizing their tag. What does not make sense to me is the fact that I have never had this trouble with books downloaded from Audible com. They are usually only in two or three parts max and then subdivided into chapters. The chapters play in order as do the parts.If the problem was with the ipod I should have the same difficulty with Audibles downloads.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:22 PM

I understand your issue.

The book is divided into 7 or 12 parts about a hour long each. And your iPod plays these parts somewhat randomly.

Try looking at the tags. Right Click one of the parts and choose GET INFO and look at the track numbers. Make sure there is a value and it matches the PART. (In the name of the track it will say "<book name> - Part #" and the Track Number should have the same # as the name of the track). If all the track numbers are blank, set each part's track number to be the same as the part number, clicking NEXT for each part. Overdrive usually sets this for me by default. If this was the cause, unsync the book from your iPod Touch and re-sync it to ensure the updates make it.

My suggestion of the sort order of your playlist or Audiobook section could be another cause.
If you are sorting by something odd like IMPORT DATE, you could be getting a random part selection due to this sorting, particularly if you imported them out of order. Try setting the playlist or Audiobook section to Album by Artist. If it is a playlist right click the name and choose Copy to Playlist order. Sync again.

Another possibility is that you have SHUFFLE turned ON in your General Settings. This can also cause this behavior but Overdrive usually has SKIP ON SHUFFLE turned on, so that should make all playback stop at the end of each PART. Possibly the iPod Touch has a different behavior than a standard iPod causing what you are hearing. You may need to turn OFF Shuffle in your iPod Touch General Settings to correct this.

Try checking all three possible issues and let us know which was the issue, or if none of them are, any of us can theorize on possible other causes.

Just for the record the Overdrive tags typically work just find in iPods. I am using them right now...

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 09-23-2010, 10:39 AM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks again for your help. I checked the info section and all the part and track numbers are appropriately set. For part one the track is one etc.

I am not sure what you mean by sorting. I have not been sorting the books. Currently under Get Info for each selection there is a section called SORTING. There are a list of things like "sort name" "sort Album" "sort artist" etc. No section Album by Artist or Important Date. Are you talking about sorting on the ipod or on the computer I am downloading from? Sorry to be so ignorant.

I checked the advancing between parts again and sometimes it does advance to the correct part and first track. Sometimes it advances to the correct part but the wrong track and sometimes it advances to the wrong part. It does so differently each time listening to the same book.

The shake to shuffle option on the ipod, which is the only shuffle option I could find, is set to off.

So... still at a loss to figure this out. I hate to come back to this but I do not understand why everything works fine with the downloads from audible but not Overdrive.All parts play in order with the many books I have downloaded from them. I tried looking at the info section for their books and they do not have track numbers assigned for each part.I looked at the SORTING option and tried assigning the same sorting pattern to the Overdrive books but they still play out of order. For Audible books they have the Sort Name and Sort Album filled out in grey in the right column to match the Name and Album in the left column.

Any other suggestions? Its frustrating not to be able to use this service from my public library.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:32 AM

The sorting I am talking about is in iTunes, you can see it in the Audiobook section.

There are columns in this view, and you can click on the header row (where it says "Artist", "Album") to alter the sorting of these tracks.

In the Audiobook section, all you need to do is click the Album column until it reads Album by Artist. Then sync.

The Shuffle setting is in the Settings of the iPod. Settings->Shuffle is where it is typically located. It should be set to OFF. Shake to Shuffle is a different setting.

My guess is that Audible sets the track numbers to be 1 of 7, 2 of 7, etc. And Overdrive sets their track numbers to 1, 2, 3, etc. The lack of the total number of tracks may be throwing your ordering off. Or you have Shuffle turned ON in your iPod.

Too bad you can't see the Overdrive files in iTunes. We could see if the order is incorrect.

It is possible that this is an iPod Touch sorting issue.

Have you looked at the Overdrive software for your iPod Touch to see if you can access books with your library account directly to your iPod Touch? That may make your life easier.

Old 09-27-2010, 02:36 PM

Freshman Lounger

On the ipod touch in order to shuffle you tap the top of the selection to open the info bar, then tap the icon of the crossed bars visible in the top right corner when an album is playing. This icon is not available when I play audiobooks. Only speed of the reading, times the chapter or book plays, and the fast forward/ backward feature within a section are visible.

There is no shuffle in the settings menu on the touch.Only shake to shuffle. Apparently you can obtain apps that will allow other methods of shuffling. I have not done this and the shuffle option should be off. Like I said it does not shuffle books downloaded from Audible.com

My library does not support downloading books from an apple device ( including my Apple ipod touch) only from a PC. This would cost them extra money that they are not prepared to spend. My only option is to download from a Windows device.

Since I am downloading on the library computer maybe I can check the sorting on that. Last time I tried to access iTunes they said I could not do that but it must be loaded to use Overdrive. I'll check with them again. I have explained the problem but its hard to find anyone who is actually in charge of this function at the library or even knows how to use it.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:18 PM

Freshman Lounger

This is the biggest issue I have with audiobooks, they vary depending on the encoding. Sometimes you can't skip chapters without major effort:/
Old 01-05-2011, 09:59 AM

Freshman Lounger

Fix for Audiobooks Skipping

While the other posters were correct about going to the Get Info on your audiobooks there are several steps you need to take to make them play smoothly.

When you connect your Ipod to Itunes you need to go to the 1st section of the book and click on it with your right mouse button, and go to Get Info. Go to the tab says Info

In the name field delete where it shows part 1, Part 2 etc. Make sure the name of each section is exactly the same. Under Track put 1 of __ put the number of parts (if you have 5 parts put 5 after of.

In Genre put Books & Spoken and then put a check mark in the Part of a complilation.

After you finish with the 1st section click on next and repeat the steps for each section of the book.

Your book should play smoothly after this.

Topic: Advancing between parts in an audiobook

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.