Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iPod plays my audiobook tracks in alphabetical order - help!

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 01-28-2009, 12:47 PM

Freshman Lounger

iPod plays my audiobook tracks in alphabetical order - help!

They play in alphabetical order instead of the track order so when listening it skips around the story. Does anybody know why this is happening or how to fix this?

In iTunes under the audiobooks section it lists it correctly because I have it sorted by the track, but when I put in on my iPod it plays it alphabetically.

Your help is really appreciated.

Thanks everyone for your tips on ripping my cd audiobooks to use in iTunes.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:01 PM

Greetings.

How do you sync your iPod? Manual or auto?

When you get to your audiobooks on your iPod, how do you get to them? Via the audiobook section on the iPod, or via a playlist?

5G 80GB iPod / iPhone 4 / MacBook Pro / Last.fm /
Links to common ?'s
FAQS | Artist missing songs | iPod not Recognized Mac or PC | disable auto-sync temp. | Disk mode How to | iPod has Folder/!
Old 02-08-2011, 02:47 AM

rymang

i have this same question as opollywog. i have 6 audiobooks all by the same author. the files from all 6 are jumbled together on my iPod's audiobook section, listed by alphabetical order.

to answer studogvetmed,

I autosync my iPod and access the audiobooks via the audiobook section.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:50 AM

Sounds like it could be one or two issues.
1. First guess is a tagging issue. The album names seem to not be set, as well as disc and track numbers.
2. Second guess is that your audiobook section is sorted by track name. Try sorting it by "album by artist" and if that looks better try syncing. If the iPod looks the same as iTunes now (sort order) then you are set. I don't know if the Audiobook section behaves like a playlist does or not (I am at work and don't have iTunes with me) but you could try to right click the Audiobook section and choose Copy to Play Order. Sync again and check the order in the iPod.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 02-09-2011, 12:09 AM

rymang

Well, I've gathered from several other similar threads on this site that this is in fact not an error on my part, but a massive oversight by Apple. Apparently, the audiobook section is not supposed to sort by book or author, it simply lists all tracks alphabetically. What a waste.

I'll just solve my dilemma by making a playlist. Thanks anyway.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:27 AM

Freshman Lounger

Obscurely if you sync an iPhone with an Audiobook then it plays just fine! No problems at all with it playing back in alphabetical order.

This is a ridiculous problem to have, I have 3 iPods of various ages and they all suffer from this problem.

Come on Apple! Sort your selves out!
Old 02-28-2012, 08:24 AM

The i-devices do pretty well with the various media they are expected to handle.

So they wrote their code to sort audiobooks by alphabetical, this is probably done on the assumption that books would be contained in one file and named by the book name. They probably didn't envision a massive book needing to be split across multiple files.

They may have assumed if you wanted the convenience of a single file you would buy it from iTunes, and if you used CDs you may have to use alternative methods to make a single file (that don't work well for large books, but are fine for small books) or use the other functionality they provided like playlists.

Check out: Sync audiobook position between devices?

You can see how to use Apple's system a lot better than just using the various sections.

There are a lot of things you can do with Apple devices that others can't do. Try using them instead of complaining.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....

Topic: iPod plays my audiobook tracks in alphabetical order - help!

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.