Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Adding Chapters to audiobook files - step by step guide

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 04-18-2008, 12:12 AM

Reclined Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by skraper
Your programs looks to be exactly what I need, however anytime I try to open and m4a or m4b file I get an unhandled exception error message. This appears to happen with every m4a or m4b on my computer. I looked through your tutorial and wasn't able to find a fix for this problem.

Any ideas?
Sorry about that, it is early days with the software, despite some weeks of beta testing, and I've already had a couple of issues reported which I'll be fixing this weekend.

Can we take this offline? I'll send you a private message.

-- David

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 06-05-2008, 05:52 PM

Freshman Lounger

Question XML to POD Converter

I've received several messages from users that are not able to use my website to create .pod files, particularly if they have a very large number of chapters.

I'm hoping that the majority of you will still be monitoring this forum thread. If you are still having issues, please let me know. I have made various fixes to the script and if you're still having issues I would need to take a closer look at your .xml file.

Thanks!
Old 06-17-2008, 04:22 AM

Freshman Lounger

How it to change font?

Font which are written the chapter (Chapter 1, Chapter 2) of more text in other menus. How it to change?

Old 06-17-2008, 05:43 PM

Freshman Lounger

Fonts are hard-coded into iTunes as far as I know. There is no way to change the font through iTunes.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:08 AM

Freshman Lounger

Change font in the menu chapters

And scrolling (a wheel of the mouse) in the menu of the "chapters" does not work only for me?

Last edited by korden; 06-18-2008 at 08:29 AM. Reason: change
Old 08-06-2008, 07:01 PM

Freshman Lounger

This method's worked great for me, with one notable exception. There's one book that refuses to work with Slideshow Assembler. Every time I drag the .pod file onto SSA, it closes right out of the program.

I've checked to make sure the .pod file's clean (with all the right file names and locations, as well as no extraneous fields), and it is. Thought it might have something to do with a chapter using either a colon, exclamation point, or accented character, but changing those in the titles didn't help. Maybe the image was too small or too big... nope, that wasn't the problem either. The book's only 25 chapters, and the longest one there's 11 minutes, so those issues (even though they were resolved) aren't it either. When I imported all the files into iTunes, they were in the wrong order, but I rearranged them in the original XML file before converting (thanks to SoundofEmotion's converter). That's happened on other books, but I converted those into audiobooks with no problems whatsoever either.

What else could cause SSA to gag and shut down on a file? It's getting really annoying because this is the only time I've had problems that I couldn't fix.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:10 PM

Freshman Lounger

use the application in the link

podfilecreator . appspot . com

to create pod files for use in ssa
Old 11-21-2008, 11:30 PM

Freshman Lounger

I have now released iPod Audio Book Creator to public beta - thanks to all those who helped

see http://www.sjhaley.com/ipodabc/index.htm

# Converts mp3 or wav files ripped from cds to iPod audio book format (mp4)
# Allows adding of tagging and cover pictures
# Retains mp3 tags if they exist
# Combines multiple files into one or more audio book files
# Final file can be split by size, time or number
# Chapters can be added per input file and/or chapter stops can be inserted every x mins
# Easy and quick to use - Once it the source has been ripped to mp3 or wav format the average 10hr audio book can be converted in one easy step with 1-5 mins to setup and 50-90 mins of processing depending on PC spec.
# Supports drag and drop of source files including directories (one layer only)
# Files can be sorted manually or automatically
# Its Free
# New version in prototype to allow editing and ad-hoc chapters and maybe batching up jobs
Old 09-10-2009, 10:54 AM

Pro Lounger

Thanks to Stevehaley for his ipodaudiobook creator program! I just used it to create my first audiobook! (well not mine, but one I converted from CD)
Old 09-20-2009, 08:15 AM

Freshman Lounger

For Mac users there's a great app Audiobook Builder - http://www.splasm.com/audiobookbuilder/
Old 10-03-2009, 10:43 PM

Freshman Lounger

I have no desire to take away from Steve Haley's efforts.

I have also created a Windows program to create audiobooks with chapters.

My program is called Chapter and Verse.

I have just released version 1.3 which now has support for chapter images, 14 metadata fields and more. Just like iPod ABC, my software is freeware. It can be downloaded from...

http://www.lodensoftware.com

The focus of C&V is slightly different than iPod ABC.

C&V allows the user to import a single or multiple m4a (aac) files and combine them into a single audiobook. C&V allows you to edit the chapters, add chapter images and metadata (14 different tags along with the cover artwork). In addition to automated chapter creation, the graphical user interface and virtual audiobook player allow custom placement and fine tuning of chapters and chapter images. C&V also allows editing of the finished audiobook where iPod ABC does not.

iPod ABC focuses on automated file conversion and automated chapter creation.

So depending on your focus you may prefer one over and since they have different capabilities, you may also want to have both!
Old 10-04-2009, 06:21 AM

Pro Lounger

I may try to give yours a try. I am having problems with my audio book. I don't know of this is inherent of all audio books or only the ones i created using ipod ABC.

What happens is that it works fine while you use it. .. then when you switch to music or something that works fine too.... then when you go BACK to the audio book (be it right away, or even the next day) it will play for about 1 minute before it quits out to the main menu, losing your place in the book. it does this EVERY TIME. Very annoying, but since i know it will do this i just make a mental note of where i am every time i start listening; and invariably, it goes back to the beginning.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:07 PM

Freshman Lounger

crash613,

This is a fairly well known problem. It is related to the duration of the audiobook. There is no real fix, since it appears to require a firmware update from Apple. The only workaround is to reduce the duration of the audiobook by breaking it into parts.

I have a post on my website describing the problem.
Maximum Length of a Stable M4A Audiobook on Certain iPods

I also have a post here on iLounge...
Maximum Length of a Stable M4A Audiobook

There is also a fairly long thread on the Splasm Software Forum about this issue...
"iPod Skips Ahead/Returns to Main Menu/Bookmarks Reset"
Old 10-06-2009, 07:51 PM

Pro Lounger

thanks, i will be checking out those links directly!
Old 12-21-2009, 06:31 PM

Freshman Lounger

How To for iPodABC from CD (via Nero or Itunes)

Hi All,

I used Steve's excellent ipodABC and added some step by step guides for ripping CD's to m4a format before joining them.

Details here:

http://managingipodaudiobooks.blogspot.com/

No ads - no spam

--
Paul

Topic: Adding Chapters to audiobook files - step by step guide

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.