I need some help...yes I checked the stickies1 - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: I need some help...yes I checked the stickies1

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 12-10-2006, 05:23 PM

Freshman Lounger

Question I need some help...yes I checked the stickies1

I looked through the stickies, but I couldn't find my answer. I'm sure it's probably there, but there is so much I missed it.

I have some books that I put on iTunes and onto my iPod. I want them to show up in the Audiobooks section of my iPod, not my music.

I opened iTunes, found the files, right clicked and converted them to ACC files...

Now what? I can't seem to figure out the next step. Somebody help, please!

Last edited by MrPeabodyNJ; 12-10-2006 at 05:38 PM.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:07 PM

Senior Lounger

Use the SEARCH feature and type in Audiobook. You will find lots of articles on this very subject.

Good Luck!

Holydoc
5Gen 60GB Video iPod Firmware 1.2.1
iSkin EVO3 Clear Case
WinXP Operating System SP2
iTunes ver. 7.0.2.16
Old 12-13-2006, 12:20 AM

Freshman Lounger

YeGads...I can really understand that the same questions do get repetitive, but really...Why bother to reply at all if your answer is "search"? The OP said he had, and did not find an answer, and I can admit, searching is not all it's cracked up to be.

The simple answer is that you cannot "make" an audiobook that is not from iTunes or Audible show up in the Audiobooks section of your iPod without the use of a third party program.

You can make it bookmarkable and set it to skip in shuffle, but if you are like me, you really just want it in the right place.

Check out the threads dealing with Markable, a wonderful third party program that lets you merge tracks (like all the tracks from one CD, and then all the CD's into designated sections of an audiobook.)

The program if inexpensive and worth it to those of us who really want or need to have things "in the right place."

I believe there is a trial version available, give it a shot, I think you'll be pleased.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:07 AM

Sheesh if you're going to give out information make sure it is correct. The obvious questions indicate the OP didn't even try to find the answers.

You can "make" and audiobook that is not from iTunes or Audible show up in the Audiobooks section of your iPod with just iTunes and Windows. No 3rd party tools needed.

Rip the CDs Disc at once. Change the extension from m4a to m4b with xcopy, delete or move the m4a version then right click on each song in iTunes and choose Get Info, and select the new file extension version. Use smart playlists to mange them.

If you want to spend money on 3rd party software, go ahead. You don't have to.

Search works well. Try searching on xcopy to get the command. Try searching on Disc at Once for how to do that. Search for smart playlist audiobook to find stuff on that.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 12-15-2006, 01:24 PM

I thought it was covered in FAQ. In any case, added this to FAQs:

HDI make audio book (mp3 and other) files show up in Audiobook main menu of iPod and iTunes?

Topic: I need some help...yes I checked the stickies1

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.