compressing audiobooks for shuffle - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: compressing audiobooks for shuffle

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 10-30-2006, 02:29 PM

Freshman Lounger

compressing audiobooks for shuffle

I just got a new (old) shuffle. It is the 512 Meg model. Can someone tell me how I can compress audiobooks off a CD to make more of them fit on the shuffle? I am going on a long trip and would like to fit several books if possible.
thanks,
MArty
Old 10-31-2006, 11:05 AM

Well, unless they are short audio books, you're not going to get much on an iPod that small.

Importing at Podcast quality will reduce the size quite well. Since you are not using a Mini or a 5G you can most likely import as Mono instead of Stereo to reduce the size even more.

That's about all you can do.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 11-04-2006, 02:34 PM

Freshman Lounger

Importing at Podcast quality works great - I didn't know where to find that option but now know that in Preferences, Advanced, then click on Importing, you can set setting to Spoken Podcast and that make the files much smaller.

the other thing I just learned is in the iTunes window, click Settings at the top of the window and click Convert higher bit rate songs to 128 kbps. that made the songs in my shuffle smaller so I could fit more in. Hope this is helpful to future searchers.

Topic: compressing audiobooks for shuffle

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.