Where are the .m4a files?? - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Where are the .m4a files??

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 10-21-2006, 01:31 PM

Bit pusher

Where are the .m4a files??

I manually convert my .mp3 podcasts to .m4b files. This worked great in iTunes 6, but I'm having a couple of problems with iTunes 7. When I select a Podcast and "convert to AAC" what happens to this .m4a file? In other words, where does this show up in the library?

This was easy in iTunes 6 where everything was in the library folder, but in iTunes 7 I can't find it in any of the areas in the library section. I can build a special playlist and find them there, but they've added another new "feature" where you can't delete these because after I rename them from .m4a to .m4b it can't find the file. Is there an easy way to delete the .m4a entries without having to assign them to a file?

paul
Old 10-25-2006, 01:38 AM

Highlight, right click and choose delete just worked for me.

You should have an ! next to the m4a file (which no longer exists since you named it m4b). It will be in music, not audiobooks with newer versions.

All your m4a files should be created in your default iTunes/iTunes Music folder and stay there when renamed. Edit>Preferences>Advanced tab.

One easy way to get the m4b file into iTunes is to double click it after renaming so that it begins to play and iTunes moves the m4b file into the library under audibooks.

Hope this helps.

Edit, Oops, sorry. Just looked back and see you were talking podcasts and not audiobooks. I don't do podcasts, so the above may or may not apply.

Last edited by robert; 10-25-2006 at 01:41 AM.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:49 AM

Bit pusher

Thanks Robert, however with iTunes 7, if I have an mp3 podcast and convert it to AAC, the .m4a file doesn's show up in music (or movies, or TV shows, or podcasts, or audiobooks, or ipod games, or radio). If I have an mp3 song and I convert it to AAC then it shows up in music and as you point out there's no problem, but this isn't true of podcasts.

paul
Old 10-25-2006, 11:48 AM

OK, I had a couple of travelogue podcasts downloaded,

Converted one to AAC

R clicked the mp3 podcast travelogue and chose Show in Windows Explorer
The m4a file was in the same folder window that opens -- both the mp3 and mp4 (AAC/m4a) are there.

Leave the windows explorer window open (window that includes mp3 and m4a files)
*Optionally add step described below
In iTunes, click on File>Add File
Drag the m4a file and drop in the add file window
Click OK
The file is now in music folder -- non bookmarking. Easiest way to find is to click date added column repeatedly until latest file added is at top. (your m4a or m4b file at the top of the list)

*If you rename the file m4b at this point and then drag the m4b file into the add file window, the m4b file will show up in audiobooks and will bookmark.

Why do you want to convert from mp3 to mp4 (AAC) unless you re-name to m4b to get bookmarking capabilities?

Hope this helps.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:56 AM

P.S. Another way to get the file into audiobooks is to
Convert to AAC
Highlight new file
R click file and select Show Windows Explorer
Rename to m4b
Double click on renamed file and it will open in audiobooks and begin playing.

You can get rid of mp3 files and extraneous listings that show ! (no file associated), by highlighting, R click and choose delete from drop down.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:17 PM

Another thought: Use search to find your lost m4a files:

Click on Start>Search>For Files and Folders>All files and folders

Key in *.m4a in the search line
Scroll down if you want to limit the search to particular drives, selecting them
Click on Search
Window will open showing individual files and location of all m4a files.

Rename them m4b if you wish to,
and then add these files to your library using techniques described above.

Last edited by robert; 10-25-2006 at 12:20 PM.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:33 PM

Bit pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert
You can get rid of mp3 files and extraneous listings that show ! (no file associated), by highlighting, R click and choose delete from drop down.
Robert, thanks for you help. Here is the real issue, I can find the .m4a files just fine in Windows Explorer. I can't find them in the iTunes library. If I can't find them in the iTunes library I can't delete them from iTunes. If I can't delete them from iTunes it complains when I sync. As you suggest I can add them so I can then delete them, but this wasn't nearly this much work in iTunes 6.

paul

Topic: Where are the .m4a files??

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.