Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Sharing Audible Files

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 12-02-2003, 11:22 AM

Junior Lounger

Sharing Audible Files

Is this Legal?

I would like to loan out some of my 50+ audio books that I have at audible.com with other people. Is this legal? I know that if I bought these books at the store I could loan them out.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 12-02-2003, 12:46 PM

Pro Lounger

You can only play audible files on players that are registered to your account, and you are limited to the number of computers/players that you can register at one time.

So, I guess the answer to your question is no, unless you're willing to loan your friend your iPod (or other listening device) to listen to your audible books on.

dordale
Old 12-02-2003, 04:17 PM

Junior Lounger

hmm

Thanks for your response but it is not accurate. That is the marketing propaganda that audible feeds us. You can happily transfer someone else's audible files to your iPod using ephpod and the like. Try it, it works.
Old 12-02-2003, 05:34 PM

Pro Lounger

You're right...hadn't thought about ephPod, although I have used it to transfer audible files to my iPod. (I've even used it to transfer audible files from my husband's account to my iPod and it worked.)

But...I know Audible Manager (and I think iTunes) will not transfer files to the iPod unless it sees that the iPod is registered with the audible account.

I'm not sure about the legalities of using ephPod to transfer your audible purchases to another iPod...interesting question... But I do know that it is the intention of audible to prevent this. The following excerpt is from the help files on audible's website:

"Audible created and employs a proprietary technology solution for distributing copyright-secure audio files that can be downloaded or streamed from audible.com. Audible's secure distribution system prevents a customer from passing along duplicate digital audio files to another listener. "

dordale
Old 12-03-2003, 07:22 AM

Senior Lounger

Of course, one can make a copy on a CD (or many, many CDs) and loan it out to one's heart's content.
Old 12-03-2003, 06:04 PM

Freshman Lounger

I'm a new Audible member and iPod owner (havn't got the iPod yet, just ordered it through the Audible/J&R promo - got the 40G for $399.98, $100 off list, not $100 off J&R's discounted price). I downloaded an Audible boon to my iBook (iTunes 4.1) and tried to copy to CD, but only one CD copied (no prompt to insert a second CD, etc.). I can listen to the whole book thru my iBook, but only the first 3 chapters or so thru my CD player.

Question: I'm using OS 10.1, do I need to upgrade the OS, or am I just doing something wrong?
Old 12-03-2003, 08:13 PM

Pro Lounger

We're all iPod people here so I don't know if anyone here will be able to answer your question on CD burning on Macs.

I think you might get a faster answer to this question at Audible customer support or the Apple iTunes support.

Audible has an FAQ section in their Help Center. If you don't find an answer there, try the Live Chat or telephone support.

Wish I could help.

:P

fka parannoya
New! 4Gig Nano
iPod: 15 gig 3G with 2.1 / 6G iPod Mini / Shuffle-512mb

iTunes for Win 4.6 (w/Audible Download Helper plug-in)
Computer: Win XP
Old 12-05-2003, 07:08 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks, Parannoya, I'll just wait until I get my iPod next week. I've only been listening to the CDs when I go to bed, and like any good Bible-Belt guy, my first audible book was the New Testament, and so far I've been falling asleep before the "begats" ("begots"?) are through so it would be a waste to burn more than one CD.
Old 12-13-2003, 05:51 PM

The power that be.

isn't parannoya the name of a book??

Every signature I've ever had has been modified within days. This is all that's left.

Topic: Sharing Audible Files

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.