Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Audible Book Recommendations - Post yours here

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 06-01-2004, 01:44 PM

Junior Lounger

Re: Re: Master and Commander: Aubrey/Maturin Series, Book 1 (Unabridged) by Patrick O'Brian

Quote:
Originally posted by CarbonRods
If you saw the film you are in for a surprise because the film is not even remotely like the book, and don't expect to visit the Galapagos Islands! I love the books and have bought the first seven books in the series. The technical terminology is a bit daunting, but my enjoyment of the books is rarely diminished when I just ignore it.

You may find this URL useful.

CR
Agreed. The movie tries to take elements from a number of novels in the series - mostly The Far Side of The World - and encompass them in a single film. A mistake IMHO, for a series with so very much character depth, but it's an entertaining film nonetheless.

In comparison, though, the Aubrey/Maturin books, as narrated by Patrick Tull, have been the singularly most entertaining novels I've ever read or listened to. Just since January, I've listened to all but the last two, which must be over 200 hours of audio books so far.

Unfortunately, Audible doesn't have every novel in the series as of right now (6/1/04), and I had to borrow a copy of "The Wine Dark Sea" from my library as read by Richard Brown. Well, I'll try not to overstate it, but in comparison to Patrick Tull, his reading was barely worth listening to. For a group of novels that includes many rough characters, Brown came across as far too "dainty" throughout the text. If this book ever becomes available as read by Tull, I will definitely listen to it again. His mastery of accents, inflections, subtlety, and giving each character a singular identity are unparralleled in my experience.

Going back to the movie, it was a grave disappointment for Stephen Maturin's character to not speak with an Irish accent, though visually, I believe Paul Bettany looked the part perfectly.

Anyone who will take the time to understand the technical terms from the Age of Sail, will enjoy the series immensely. O'Brian is Historical Fiction at it's finest.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 06-01-2004, 02:41 PM

Junior Lounger

Per my last post, here's a link to a great "Master and Commander" movie review for those that have read some or all of the series.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2003Nov13.html

Also, to my relief, Audible has just released an unabridged edition of The Wine-Dark Sea, narrated by Patrick Tull!

<edit> I forgot to include the link.

Last edited by GearHead; 06-02-2004 at 12:28 PM.
Old 06-02-2004, 01:12 AM

Senior Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by AMRivlin
(My first Audible book, I heard a radio ad for Paranoia checked it out at BN then went home and ordered. I listened to the 12 hours in 3 days, oops) It was pretty good, slightly predictable and slightly not. I would compare it to a Crichton "Prey" or another recent thriller. Nothing deeper than what was written. (Spoken)

Regarding Scott Brick, some people hate the guy, I found him "audible" but I am sure there are better. He is a bit matter of fact adding an edge authors don't have. However, he must be good since lots of books have his voice and authors have to authorize the narrator.

I just used a credit on a 40 hour book with Brick narrating, so you can tell I don't hate him yet. :P
I have way, way too many hours of audible books and I really liked Scott Bricks readings (some more than others), esp that in Paranoia. As you say he certainly does add an edge to some of his readings the author may not have intended...and his smarta** reading of Paranoia was one of his better turns. I can see how some may have a problem with his interpretations, though. Sometimes I get very tired of readings that are too straight.
Old 06-02-2004, 01:20 AM

Senior Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by AMRivlin
Just bought it. From an amazon review, it says Littell bashes CIA and praises KGB. Hmm, so much for unbiased novels about spys.
Certainly not what I got out of it. It did illustrate very well how vulnerable both sides are to making mistakes and being infiltrated though. It does incorporate actual historical examples of these into the storyline. Kind of shows that the effectiveness of CIA intelligence gathering capabilities of today haven't changed a whole lot.
Old 06-06-2004, 11:38 AM

Acting Like I Know Things

I'm a new Audible.com user and found this thread quite helpful.

Currently reading Douglas Adam's The Hitchiker's Guide to The Galaxy and enjoying it immensely. Hilarious, hysterical book... don't be turned off by the Sci-Fi label, because I dislike Science Fiction and love this book. Great narrator, too.

"kPod" DOB 5/22/04
18.5 GB Capacity
Currently: About to Hit 1000 Songs
Contour Showcase (White), Lajo eXoFlp (Electra Glow), Lajo eXo iPod Art Black-On-White, Lajo TwistClip, iShades Deep Indigo and Crystal
Shure e3c Earphones
View My Case Guide here
Old 06-07-2004, 06:17 PM

Freshman Lounger

Huge Audible.com fan!

I've been an audible listener for almost a year and a half and am listening to my 51st book right now.

My favorite series of all time is the Dark Tower by Stephen King (not your typical King story, this is sort of a fantasy like Lord of the Rings mixed together with modern times - Brilliant!!!) Can't say enough about this.

1. Dark Tower I (Gunslinger)
2. Dark Tower II (Drawing of the Three)
3. Dark Tower III (The Wastelands)
4. Dark Tower IV (Wizards and Glass)
5. Dark Tower V (Wolves of the Calla)
6. Dark Tower VI (Song of Susanah) available tomorrow!
7. Dark Tower VII (The Dark Tower) available in August

Others that I couldn't stop listening to (in no particular order):
1. City of Masks
2. Land of Echoes
3. The Talisman
4. Black House
5. Eragon
6. Middlesex
7. DaVinci Code
8. Angels and Demons
9. The Testament
10. The Chamber
11. Ender's Game
12. Speaker for the Dead
13. The Kay Scarpetta series by Patricia Cornwell)
- The Body Farm
- From Potter's Field
- Cause of Death
- Unnatural Exposure (currently reading this one now)
14. Harry Potter series (not available at Audible....yet)

Of course YMMV (your mileage may vary)
Old 06-10-2004, 08:48 PM

hula lounger

Oh no...now I'll have the next Gunslinger, the New Xenocide AND the next Otori book! Busy month coming up...can't wait!!!

Denise
Old 06-12-2004, 08:40 AM

Freshman Lounger

So far my favorites are....

I am fairly new to the ipod and the audio book seen but fell inlove with it as soon as I listened to the Talisman by Stephen King. LOL now i can't get enough!!! Thank God I have a job that I can listen while I work. So I'm catching up quick. Anyway here's my list so far...

All excellent story's and the reading of each was done with alot of passion which i thought made the story's even that much better.

Talisman
Ender's game
The Green Mile
Envy
A walk in the woods
Tuesday's with morrie
Five people you meet in heaven

Good story's

The Mist
Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy
Restaurant at the end of the galaxy
The DaVinci Code

Ok story's but could have passed on were

The Screwtape letters
Master and Commander

Sorry you Master and Commander fan's but I just couldn't get into this one. I thought it was way to slow and not knowing all the technical terms for a tall ship really made it unpleasant to listen to. I couldn't even finish that one.

About to dive into The lovey bones. I heard that was a goodie to.

Kmcl3667

Old 06-13-2004, 02:28 PM

Freshman Lounger

Where did you get Five People You Meet in Heaven on audio? I haven't seen it on Audible.

I enjoyed The Lovely Bones very much.
Old 06-13-2004, 03:16 PM

Five People You Meet in Heaven

Quote:
Originally posted by alison0313
Where did you get Five People You Meet in Heaven on audio? I haven't seen it on Audible.

I enjoyed The Lovely Bones very much.
EDIT 12-27-04 NOW AVAILABLE FROM AUDIBLE.COM
Sorry, but someone loaned me the cd audiobook and I listened to it on a trip. Funny tho, we listened to one cd out of sequence -- using the car cd player before I learned how to do: Complete Beginner?s Guide for Copying Audio CD?s into a Bookmarking iTunes/iPod file . Proves that ipod is more user friendly.

Suggest you request it from Audible. They do try.

Audible does have "Tuesdays with Morrie" (Unabridged) -- by same author -- Mitch Albom. I read it on paper and found it excellent. 4-5 star.

Last edited by robert; 12-27-2004 at 09:53 AM.
Old 06-13-2004, 03:31 PM

Freshman Lounger

Alison, I bought The Five People You Meet In Heaven on CD at walmart and ripped it to my Ipod.

I listened to Tuesday's with Morrie and it was such a great book I couldn't resist picking up his new book.

Kmcl3667
Old 06-16-2004, 11:34 PM

hula lounger

kmcl3667-
Give King's "Bag of Bones" a try. King reads it and it is - by far - my number 1 favorite audio book by King. It is also, the only one that I've ever gone back and listened to again.

Denise
Old 06-17-2004, 08:02 AM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks Denise, Today's my renewal date for audible and I had that on my wish list for a couple of months now. Hmmmm I think it just got bumped to my buy list. Thanks for the heads up!!!

kmcl3667
Old 06-17-2004, 11:58 AM

Freshman Lounger

I read Bag of Bones and thought it was really good, but none of King's stories compare to his Dark Tower Series. In fact, all of his books tie together through the Dark Tower Series. Check out http://www.thedarktower.net for all sorts of Dark Tower info including how all the books inter-relate. And Yes, even Bag of Bones has Dark Tower references in it.

King is definitely one of my favorite authors and the Dark Tower is by far my favorite story ever, and I've listened to many. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Start with the Gunslinger and enter a 7 book odyssey you'll never forget.....

it's never straight up and down -devo

What's on my iPod?
Old 06-17-2004, 03:21 PM

Pro Lounger

OK, I"m in. I just downloaded "The Gunslinger ."

It better be good!

fka parannoya
New! 4Gig Nano
iPod: 15 gig 3G with 2.1 / 6G iPod Mini / Shuffle-512mb

iTunes for Win 4.6 (w/Audible Download Helper plug-in)
Computer: Win XP

Topic: Audible Book Recommendations - Post yours here

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.