Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Audible Book Recommendations - Post yours here

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 04-18-2004, 03:38 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by sahmad88
Very good historical fiction.
Historical

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 04-18-2004, 11:05 AM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by CarbonRods
Historical
I guess it depends on your definition of historical fiction. When I think of those words, I think of fiction (not true) set in historical settings or using historical figures. But it is fiction. Not non-fiction.

By the way, it isn't available on audible.com, but if you did enjoy The DaVinci Code, you might like The Eight by Katherine Neville. The Eight doesn't try to make a point about about anything like The DaVinci Code tries to make you think about what you thought was true, but it is another fiction book that uses many historical figures as figures in its story.
Old 04-18-2004, 08:39 PM

Former First Lounger

Absolutely LOVED: 1.Life Of Pi (Yann Martel) - My first book from Audible - It hooked me and set the hook deep.
2.A Short History of Nearly Everything (Bill Bryson) - If you have some interest in science (physics, astronomy, paleontology...), but find most texts are too boring or don't do a good job of explaining things - then this is PERFECT for you. Anything by Bryson is entertaining and informative. Sometimes, I found myself getting somewhat lost trying to memorize some of the names that were strewn about, but then I kicked back and enjoyed the ride (realizing that there would be no quiz to follow the book). This is one I will listen to again.
3.Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them (Al Franken) - Hilarious! If you are a die-hard republican who is not willing to listen to anything derogatory to your dogma - don't get this one. Anyone else who wants to burst out laughing - get it.

One book I would have to not recommend is The Dream of Reason (Anthony Gottlieb) - I found the subject matter a little too plodding, but if you have an interest in ancient thinkers, or need something to supplement a class, then you may be interested in this.

Grado SR 80.... CMOY amp - The BEST
Etymotic ER4P(foam).... CMOY amp - better
Etymotic ER6 (foam)........ good
Sony EX71........ okay, but muddy
Old 04-20-2004, 10:29 PM

Freshman Lounger

I cannot believe that no one has suggested "Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them" - Al Frankin.

Either that, or my search feature is on the fritz.

EDIT: Well, my search feature was on the fritz, but it is a good book nonetheless.
Old 04-25-2004, 01:30 AM

Senior Lounger

I have been at least a 2 books/month audible listener for close to two years now and Paranoia by Joseph Finder is the best novel I have heard so far. A good narrator sure can make a huge difference, and I really, really enjoyed Scott Bricks narration on this one.
Old 04-25-2004, 01:32 PM

Pro Lounger

bordeaj--

Cool--I purchased and downloaded Paranoia about a month ago--just haven't gotten around to listening to it yet...I'll bump it up to next in line on my listening list!

dordale
Old 04-27-2004, 01:48 PM

Senior Lounger

dordale-
Uh oh...Now I am nervous someone actually listened to my recommendation! I hope you like Paranoia as much as I did.

bordeaaj
Old 05-01-2004, 02:29 AM

Freshman Lounger

Loved:

Me Talk Pretty One Day - David Sedaris - Made me laugh out loud many times.
The Secret Life of Bees - Sue Monk Kidd
Can You Keep a Secret? - Sophie Kinsella LOVED it. Like Bridget Jones, but better.
The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold - This book had me in tears so many times.

Liked:

The DaVinci Code (unabridged) - Dan Brown - I found it predictable, or I should have went in the crytology field.. Fun listen though.
White Oleander - Janet Fitch - Oprah needs to narrate more books!
Hey Nostradamus - Douglas Coupland -

Wouldn't recommend:

The Funny Thing Is... Ellen Degeneres. - HBO special with the same material was more enjoyable. I felt like she was trying to fill time, example: the chapter where she gave a tour of her house. Waste of time.

Didn't finish:

A Short History of Nearly Everything (unabridged) - I like it, It's just too much to take in
David Sedaris Live at Carnegie Hall - Picked this right after I listened to Me Talk Pretty.. as much as I loved MTPOD, it was TOO much Sedaris to take in at once.

My current book is Sleeping Beauty by Phillip Margolin. It has my attention.. not really sure what I think of it yet though.
Old 05-14-2004, 10:41 PM

iPod Geek

The Company by Robert Littell - great story about the CIA spanning over 40 years. Highly recommended.

iSync therefore I am

16GB iPhone 3G w/Vaja classic Retro Slim Bag | 16GB iPod Touch | 30GB iPod 5.5G | 40GB iPod Photo w/Vaja iVod | 1GB shuffle | Original iPod 5GB 1G (still active)
Old 05-19-2004, 08:05 PM

Freshman Lounger

Re: Master and Commander: Aubrey/Maturin Series, Book 1 (Unabridged) by Patrick O'Brian

Quote:
Originally posted by robert
I am about to listen to "Master and Commander: Aubrey/Maturin Series, Book 1' (Unabridged) by Patrick O'Brian.
If you saw the film you are in for a surprise because the film is not even remotely like the book, and don't expect to visit the Galapagos Islands! I love the books and have bought the first seven books in the series. The technical terminology is a bit daunting, but my enjoyment of the books is rarely diminished when I just ignore it.

You may find this URL useful.

CR
Old 05-24-2004, 08:55 PM

Freshman Lounger

Pandora is terrible!

i am relatively new to audible.com, but i just love it already!, i have already upgraded to the ultimate listener plan ,as i was finishing my two books only halfway through the month. i have so far listened to Drowning Ruth, Memoirs of a Geisha, and Pandora, almost. Is it me, or is this book literally painful to try to get through??. i have 1 hour left on it, and have already had to put it on the shelf and started another book. i figure i will go back and finish it after Confessions of a Shopaholic, which i am loving thus far. The only other Anne Rice book that ive read has been Interview, and i really loved that, but Pandora just seems to be very long-winded and boring to me. I am kind of in a pickle now. There are alot of her books at audible, but now im a little fearful of another pandora-type book. any suggestions would be great.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:42 PM

Former First Lounger

My number one recommendation would have to be: Life of Pi.
It is one I could not put down. I've greatly enjoyed other books, but I've had to take breaks from the books and stop listening. With Pi, I listened as often as I could.

Grado SR 80.... CMOY amp - The BEST
Etymotic ER4P(foam).... CMOY amp - better
Etymotic ER6 (foam)........ good
Sony EX71........ okay, but muddy
Old 05-28-2004, 10:31 AM

5G B60, 3G W30, Nano W2

Quote:
Originally posted by bordeaaj
I have been at least a 2 books/month audible listener for close to two years now and Paranoia by Joseph Finder is the best novel I have heard so far. A good narrator sure can make a huge difference, and I really, really enjoyed Scott Bricks narration on this one.
(My first Audible book, I heard a radio ad for Paranoia checked it out at BN then went home and ordered. I listened to the 12 hours in 3 days, oops) It was pretty good, slightly predictable and slightly not. I would compare it to a Crichton "Prey" or another recent thriller. Nothing deeper than what was written. (Spoken)

Regarding Scott Brick, some people hate the guy, I found him "audible" but I am sure there are better. He is a bit matter of fact adding an edge authors don't have. However, he must be good since lots of books have his voice and authors have to authorize the narrator.

I just used a credit on a 40 hour book with Brick narrating, so you can tell I don't hate him yet. :P

Last edited by AMRivlin; 05-28-2004 at 10:37 AM.
Old 05-28-2004, 10:33 AM

5G B60, 3G W30, Nano W2

Quote:
Originally posted by bigman606
The Company by Robert Littell - great story about the CIA spanning over 40 years. Highly recommended.
Just bought it. From an amazon review, it says Littell bashes CIA and praises KGB. Hmm, so much for unbiased novels about spys.
Old 05-30-2004, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by AMRivlin
Just bought it. From an amazon review, it says Littell bashes CIA and praises KGB. Hmm, so much for unbiased novels about spys.
Once you have read it, I think you will find that was just an isolated amazon.com reviewer's opinion. I found it excellent and well-balanced -- describing the reality of human undertakings and all the frailties thereof. Nonetheless, it remains historic fiction.

Let us know if you recommend it after YOU have read it.

BTW, for a taste of reader's diverse opinions, look at the Audible.com reviewer's write ups of Paranoia.

Last edited by robert; 05-30-2004 at 07:29 AM.

Topic: Audible Book Recommendations - Post yours here

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.