Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Merge .m4a files?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 02-02-2006, 03:40 PM

Freshman Lounger

Merge .m4a files?

I copied an audiobook onto my computer and it was in .m4b format already. Is there a way that I can merge several .m4a/.m4b files into a single one? Or else, a way to get the audiobook onto my computer in mp3 format?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 02-02-2006, 04:24 PM

Chuck Norris ate my iPod

I used this last night: http://www.ipodsoft.com/index.php?/software/markable

Old 02-03-2006, 05:17 AM

Freshman Lounger

I am wondering, I have several audio books on the iPod, but they only appear in Music. I can't get them in the audio-book section. Already tried converting one to m4a (they are mp3) but that didn't work either.

Did it work for you? do they appear in the audio-book section?

kind regards,

TikTakMan
Old 02-03-2006, 05:58 AM

Reclined Lounger

Re: Merge .m4a files?

Quote:
Originally posted by unagi
I copied an audiobook onto my computer and it was in .m4b format already. Is there a way that I can merge several .m4a/.m4b files into a single one? Or else, a way to get the audiobook onto my computer in mp3 format?
I have not tried this yet, but foobar2000 might be your solution. I use this to merge with mp3 and will encode in WAV at default and you can possibly drag your .m4a/.m4b to it as playlist. Click all and convert as one WAV form. Awesome freeware and not hard on your computer. Fast and reliable.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:50 AM

Freshman Lounger

@ TikTakMan: You have to change the file endings from .m4a to .m4b, then it should work.

@ mdmania: Thank you, I'll try it as soon as I have time.

@ meyerhaus: Thanks also, but I cannot afford to pay, I am a poor student.
Old 02-03-2006, 04:42 PM

Reclined Lounger

good luck Unagi! Let us know what you come up with...peace!
Old 02-03-2006, 07:56 PM

Pro Lounger

All--

Check out the stickies at the top of this forum for step by step instructions on converting mp3 files to bookmarkable files--and files that will show up as "audio books" on the iPod.

dordale
Old 02-04-2006, 04:59 AM

Freshman Lounger

I found a useful post on how to import a CD as one track only!

Quote:
1. Open iTunes, & Click on the top menu Edit > Preferences and click on the "Importing" Tab:
-”Import Using”: select “AAC Encoder”
- uncheck Create Filenames with track number
-uncheck “Use error correction when reading Audio CD”s.”
-In "Settings" box, choose "Custom" from dropdown
-In Customs Widow that opens
-select Stereo setting: 32 kbps for audible.com format 4 quality;16 kbps for format 3 quality.
- Set Channels to Stereo to avoid lock up bug.
-Click OK
-Importing window now shows settings kbps and stereo.
2. Open iTunes, & insert CD. CD will appear shortly, highlighted, in iTunes Source column If CD doesn”t appear, click on Audio CD to display the CD tracks column. If a window appears, either ignore or click “use iTunes to import." [Click on iTunes>File>Add File to Library and browse to CD if it is not in the window that opens. Then highlight the file(s) you wish to add to iTunes then click Open.]
3. Highlight all the tracks of the CD(Click on first track, then hold shift while clicking on the last track).
4. Right click highlighted tracks, click yes to both “change all” & “don”t tell me again,” Right Click>select “Get Info.” In resulting window validate or type in:
-”Artist” = (Author)
-”Album” = Book Name
-”Genre” = “Books & Spoken,” “Spoken Word,” ”Audiobook,” or created genre. Audible Download Mgr for iTunes downloads genre = "Audiobook."[/i]
-uncheck “part of compilation”
5. With all tracks still highlighted, click on “Advanced”>Join Tracks. Results in single bracket around all the tracks & checked square to left first track. If “Join Tracks” is grayed out: 1. All tracks MUST be selected/highlighted (see 3 above); and/or 2. Click on untitled, left-most column until re-ordered into 1, 2, 3, etc., sequence -- even if tracks are already in sequence and; 3. CD is highlighted in Source Col.Stensvaag identified grayed-out solution! [/B] Click here for More on Joining tracks and Greyed out
6. Click on “Import” button (upper right of window)
I've tried and it's fast and gets the job done. Now I have more than one track, but it's better than one for every chapter.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:56 PM

or, you could import as mp3's instead of aac, use the freeware mp3 merger in the mp3 guide in signature below to create as few files as you wish (subject to iPod playback capabilities) and then convert to aac/m4b.

Unagi, I see you quoted, without attribution, Sticky: Beginners Guide. Copying an Audio CD to a Bookmarking iPod File. All iTunes process. It is in the sticky guides easily found at the top of this forum and in the signature below. You may find the FAQ thread helpful as well.

If you post enough times (I forget how many times), the forum will allow you to post links.

Last edited by robert; 02-04-2006 at 03:01 PM.
Old 02-04-2006, 05:34 PM

Reclined Lounger

also if I may add, there is this freeware as I mentioned on my previous messages as well work somewhat similar to mp3 merger if you want to get technical. I use foobar2000 and what I like about it so much is that you can use plug-in such as continuator, which crossfades your mp3 in between. I use this now more than I previously use of mp3 merger. mp3merger is also a nice quick approach. My has more step but is well worth it.
Old 02-05-2006, 03:49 AM

Freshman Lounger

@ Robert: Thanks for the tip, I never realized that you could change the importing format. I tried to post the link, but it wouldn't allow me to. I hope I didn't violate any forum rules or something.

@ mdmania: As I said before, I tried using footbar2000 but it never stopped converting and even so I ended up with a huge file.
Old 02-05-2006, 06:39 AM

Quote:
@ Robert: Thanks for the tip, I never realized that you could change the importing format...
Here is the screen shot of the import option change window set to AAC. Just change to mp3 with the kbps you want. For audio, it doesn't make much sense to go over about 40 kbps. Audible.com's highest quality is only 32kbps.

Edit>Preferences: Importing Options Screen Shot (click here)

Last edited by robert; 02-05-2006 at 07:06 AM.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:25 AM

Reclined Lounger

Quote:

@ mdmania: As I said before, I tried using footbar2000 but it never stopped converting and even so I ended up with a huge file.
no prob unagi. I guess it depends on your application. I personally like my way because I was after crossfading feature and not necessarily jus to have an audiobook. Robert's tip is great, nothing wrong with it. I was a mp3merger previous user before when I wanted my music converted but I wanted to able to use with any type of plug-in...whatever works for you unagi! Just glad to see someone successful around here.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:18 AM

Freshman Lounger

Lightbulb

YES I DID IT!

I imported every CD as one track in .mp3 format, joined them with MergeMP3 and then converted them to .aac format. I did take longer but now I have the whole book in one track. Thanks muchly for the help, guys!
Old 02-05-2006, 12:22 PM

Quote:
YES I DID IT!

I imported every CD as one track in .mp3 format, joined them with MergeMP3 and then converted them to .aac format. I did take longer but now I have the whole book in one track. Thanks muchly for the help, guys!
Glad you had success.

None of the rest of us has had the nerve to test files longer than 5 hours to see if iPod large file playback problems are resolved -- or at least no one has reported results. Would you please let us know how long your file was in hours, how large in mb, what model iPod played on, and if it played without skipping and stuttering?

It does take the extra time of AAC conversion when you do it that way. I have thought about using an old laptop to dedicate to converting so as not to have to worry about how much time it takes or what interference occurs from running other programs -- Tunebite is especially vulnerable to sound distortion when another program runs and it also puts ANY sound the system makes into its recording.

Topic: Merge .m4a files?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.