Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: HELP ASAP--"move and rename existing files" ??

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 12-05-2005, 01:37 PM

Junior Lounger

HELP ASAP--"move and rename existing files" ??

I just recently imported an audiobook form CD. When I did this, I had reset the import to a lower quality (32 I believe). Now I'm resetting this for regular music CD's.

When I changed it, I got the following message:

"Would you like iTunes to move and rename the existing files in your iTunes music folder to match the "keep iTunes Music folder organized" preference?"

I don't know whether to choose yes or no--it's still sitting there waiting for me to decide.

I think that I also "unchecked" an option on the same window about track names. Can't remember exactly how it's worded--I can't get back to the prefs window until I check yes or no on the other dialogue.

HELP ASAP!!!

G5-iPod Video-white
Mac G4-Powerbook--OS 10.3.9
iTunes 6.0.1

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 12-05-2005, 04:24 PM

Pro Lounger

Re: HELP ASAP--"move and rename existing files" ??

Quote:
Originally posted by teacher24_70
I just recently imported an audiobook form CD. When I did this, I had reset the import to a lower quality (32 I believe). Now I'm resetting this for regular music CD's.

When I changed it, I got the following message:

"Would you like iTunes to move and rename the existing files in your iTunes music folder to match the "keep iTunes Music folder organized" preference?"

I don't know whether to choose yes or no--it's still sitting there waiting for me to decide.

I think that I also "unchecked" an option on the same window about track names. Can't remember exactly how it's worded--I can't get back to the prefs window until I check yes or no on the other dialogue.

HELP ASAP!!!
If you're working on a Mac, and all of your music has been imported from audio CDs using iTunes, it's probably OK to say yes. But if you have already created playlists and are worried about unanticipated changes answer "No' at this point and go ahead; you can take care of this later if you need to.

The option to keep iTunes Music folder organized means that iTunes will store the music under a folder by Artist name, and then by Album name, unless the album has been checked as a compilation (many artists). In that case it will be stored under Album name.

The main reason that people don't check this option is when they have been using different music playing programs on PCs which have already filed their music under an alternative organization scheme, or when they have specifically imposed a different organization on their music. For example, if you had a sub-folder called "Christmas Music", it would move entries out of that folder and into folders by Artist Name and Album name. When you edit information in the iTunes library, the change affects all your playlists, too. So if you edit a song name, iTunes will change the name of the song on your hard disk by default, unless you uncheck the Keep iTunes Music folder organized box.

If you're starting from scratch with iTunes, and using a Mac, I'd advise keeping iTunes Music organized. But if you're in any doubt, "Just say no" at this point.

The other option might have been create file names with track number? I find this useful. It keeps the albums ordered by tracks, by adding a numerical prefix that doesn't appear in the displayed name, but ensures that tracks can be correctly ordered within an album when transferred to your iPod.

Just guessing based on what you've posted. Hope this helps.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:05 AM

Junior Lounger

Thanks

Thanks for your help. I couldn't remember exactly what "keeping the music folder organized" meant--exactly what it does when it organizes.

And it WAS "create file names with track number". I didn't understand exactly what this does. I had deselected it because I thought it meant that it would rename all the songs and give them the track # as it's title. Obviously, I didn't understand it's purpose when I deselected it.

I decided to select "no" on the original pop-up so that it wouldn't change anything.

I then went back into preferences and re-checked the "create file names with track number". All of my CD's have been imported with iTunes, so I don't have any pre-existing folders to worry about.

Thanks for your help.

G5-iPod Video-white
Mac G4-Powerbook--OS 10.3.9
iTunes 6.0.1

Topic: HELP ASAP--"move and rename existing files" ??

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.