Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Redesigned Audible.Com site and Attractive New buying plan

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 12-04-2005, 01:36 PM

Senior Lounger

Redesigned Audible.Com site

Please choose the appropriate forum for this topic. Thank you. Audible has a brand-new look to its web site. Initial impressions:

I never had any issues w/ the former site and don't know why it was changed.

It seems just as slow as before.

It looks like the home page is trying, just a little, to imitate iTunes Music Store.

What's the difference between "New Releases" and "Just Added"?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 12-04-2005, 01:51 PM

Junior Lounger

It doesn't seen that slow. At least for all practical purposes. But I can definitely see the resemblance to iTunes.

The "New Releases" are books that have just come out. The "Just Added" section is for not so new books that have just been added to their selection.

5G 30GB (White) || Agent 18 VideoShield || Schosche FM Transmitter || Altec Lansing 2.0 Speakers
Old 12-04-2005, 03:16 PM

Pro Lounger

Re: Redesigned Audible.Com site

Quote:
Originally posted by arsolot
What's the difference between "New Releases" and "Just Added"?
Has anyone else noticed that sometimes the important new releases don't show up in the "New Releases" listing for that day? Instead, there will be a featured link set up later in the day. Sometimes items that were initially listed under new releases for that day get removed, and you have to hunt for them.

I think I preferred the Audible page with fewer blinking items. Also, what's with the switch to the new plan? Is this meant to be a hybrid of the Ultimate Listener Plan? The PDF file description is surprisingly unhelpful.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:41 PM

Attractive New buying plans at redesigned audible.com web site

Quote:
Originally posted by robert
Attractive New audible.com Buying Plans

From the newly revised audible.com website:
[To find the plan descriptions, sign in or go to audible.com home (and on most pages)>Account Details>Sign in process>Change Membership Plan. Then you will see your current plan and all others offerred. At least I assume they are showing Ultimate Listener to those that don't have it. I May be grandfathered in and with 12 book roll over, looks like Platinum Yearly is a better deal than Ultimate Listener -- $0.45 less per audio book and no additional cost for NYT or WSJ subscription. Negative is having to lay out $229.50 vs $119.95 on front end .]
__________________________________________________ _

AudibleListener®
Join AudibleListener for one year and receive the following benefits, plus one free audio credit as our thanks for joining:
Save 30% every day on all audiobooks and programs not purchased with audio credits
The New Releases Sampler - including free samples from 10-12 upcoming audio programs
Channel Audio - featuring free samples from audio programs hand-picked by our editorial staff
Get one year for just $9.95!

UltimateListener Membership Plan 12-05: No longer available for new subscribers or for renewal.

12 audiobook credits per year for $119.95 to purchase any audiobook product. Credits expire 2 years from date issued. UltimateListener members get discounts of 50% off any subscription product and 20% off audiobook product not bought using your credits. No longer available.

Note that rollovers in plans below require a continued subscription.

Gold Monthly
AudibleListener(R) Gold Monthly: 14.95 a month
Recieve 1 audio credit each month.
Save 30% on all audiobooks and programs not purchased with audio credits
Rollover up to 6 credits.
Get a complimentary subscription to the digital audio version of The New York Times or The Wall Street Journal.
Use your credits to buy audio for yourself or as a gift for a friend.
Enjoy free select audio programs and samples.

Gold Yearly
AudibleListener(R) Gold Yearly: $149.95 a year. (Save two months!) [= $12.50/ audiobook]
Recieve 12 audio credits each year - all at once.
[can currently sign up at gift window and get free shuffle($12.95 shipping)]
Save 30% on all audiobooks and programs not purchased with audio credits.
Rollover up to 6 credits per year.
Get a complimentary subscription to the digital audio version of The New York Times or The Wall Street Journal.

Platinum Monthly
AudibleListener(R) Platinum Monthly: $22.95 a month.
Recieve 2 audio credits each month. [$11.47/audio book]
Rollover up to 12 credits.
[can currently sign up at gift window for three mos and get free shuffle($12.95 shipping)]

Platinum Yearly
AudibleListener(R) Platinum Yearly: $229.50 a year. (Save two months!) [= $9.56/ audio book]
Recieve 24 audio credits each year - all at once
Rollover up to 12 credits per year.
Get a complimentary subscription to the digital audio version of The New York Times or The Wall Street Journal. With 12 book roll over, looks like Platinum Yearly is a better deal than Ultimate Listener -- $0.45 less per audio book and no additional cost for NYT or WSJ subscription.

Quote:
Originally posted by Cellulose
Audible informed me yesterday that Ultimate Listener subscriptions are no longer available and I had to switch to one of the Audible Listener plans to get more credits.

My Ultimate Listener subscription was supposed to be automatically renewed on 12/26/2005, but it was not. When I called Customer Service, they informed me that the subscription plan was no longer available and could not be renewed.

I ended up with the Audible Listener Platinum Annual plan which gives 24 credits for a few cents less per book.

Two issues with this plan:
1. Subscription books (newspapers, magazines, etc) get a 30% instead of a 50% discount (though you can buy subscriptions using book credits).

2. You can rollover some of your 24 credits past the 1-year period. Unfortunately, you must renew your Audible Listener plan or switch to a $9.95/yr "Basic" plan to keep those credits. If you cancel/switch to A La Carte, you will lose those credits.

(Of course, if you use the 24 before the 1 year is up, you lose nothing except the ability to procrastinate).

[can currently sign up at gift window for three mos and get free shuffle($12.95 shipping)]
__________________________________________________ _

==============================================

Use a book credit to give an audible book. Audible also now allows you to use one or more of your book credits to give a book to someone. They get an email with the download address for the book. Cool! Just click on buy for a friend and fill out the message on the resulting page.

============================================

Changes:
1. Some reduced pricing
2. Adds digital audio version of New York Times or Wall Street Journal at no additional cost
3. Rollovers now available (see limitations above)
4. Use book credits to give a specific book to someone.

Looks interesting. Wonder if Ultimate Listener will continue to be available for new subscribers and renewers. If switch from UL to Platinum yearly, can get per book of $9.56 versus $12 UL and get free NYT or WSJ subscription. If you give it to yourself as a gift, get a shuffle (Possibly to use for a Christmas present to a relative or friend?).

Information in brackets added to direct copy [including Recieve (sic) -- they didn't spell check] of audible.com>my account>switch memberships or from link on audible.com home page. Of course, if you are a newbie, or wish to open a new account, you may want to give yourself a subscription and give someone the $12.95 shipping shuffle.

Web site changes:

The library function is greatly improved. Allows sorting and rating

Complimentary audio every week placed in library for gold and platinum accounts

Shopping cart is now always visible when viewing audio books.

I wish they had allowed rating, adding notations, and sorting to the wish list.

Last edited by robert; 12-28-2005 at 08:59 PM.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:31 PM

Senior Lounger

uot

Quote from the "Message from Don Katz" (which message is available on Audible's site):

Quote:
• Lower prices Everyday, the price of most audiobooks is as low as $9.56 each when you're a member of AudibleListener. Now you don't have to wait for sales to save big.
Does this mean that one is able to pay $9.56 for books--in addition to books acquired from one's book credits--when you're a "member of AudibleListner"? Or, does this refer, as does Robert, to the per-book cost for PremiumListener's 24 book credits?

Quote from Robert:

Quote:
Wish list now has only five audio books per page with cover art shown. Ouch, that is unwieldy. Gives me five pages of wish list. You can filter by time chosen. I wish they had allowed rating, adding notations, and sorting to the wish list.
I also make heavy use of the wish list. Mine now has over 40 books. The new wish list is quite unwieldy. I do, however, enjoy seeing the book-cover images on the list.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:38 PM

Pro Lounger

Re: uot

Quote:
Originally posted by arsolot
I also make heavy use of the wish list. Mine now has over 40 books. The new wish list is quite unwieldy. I do, however, enjoy seeing the book-cover images on the list.
Yes, the current short lists under the wish list, and under the link for other works from the same publisher, is unwieldy. One new feature is that books you have purchased will be marked with a note that the book is available in your library with a link to your audible library. However, the same short list length applies here, and you're taken to your most recent library purchases. Makes it rather difficult to retrieve an older book, since there's no search function, and you have to step through so many pages.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:29 PM

How to find and change to the new audible.com Plans

oops,misspoke:

link to the new plan information is home (and on most pages)>Account Details>Sign in process>Change Membership Plan

Note that on the "$9.56 plan" you get "complimentary" New York Times or Wall Street Journal subscription. I would have said included is...

Last edited by robert; 12-04-2005 at 09:31 PM.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:52 PM

Pro Lounger

Sweet!

Finally, tabbed browsing, bookmarkable pages, ability to email links and post in blogs, multiple downloads at one time, and just a whole lot easier to browse the site without waiting to go back and forth to pages. Also, downloading process is streamlined from seven steps to two. And you can set your default format preference accoring to your device rather than having to manually choose it every time you download. Heck, that alone is worth the overhaul. :-) Oh yeah, and I noticed they now allow folks to rollover credits from month to month instead of use it or lose it.

Also noticed that subscribers get across the board discount on additional books now similar to Ultimate Listener plan they've offered in the past. You can even just pay an annual membership fee of ten bucks and then just buy whatever/whenever you want at 30% off with no monthly charge or commitment. Thats a good deal if you only listen to four or five books a year.

fka parannoya
New! 4Gig Nano
iPod: 15 gig 3G with 2.1 / 6G iPod Mini / Shuffle-512mb

iTunes for Win 4.6 (w/Audible Download Helper plug-in)
Computer: Win XP
Old 12-05-2005, 12:25 AM

moved my "Attractive New Buying Plans" post to fourth post this thread and deleted it as a stand alone thread. Asked for renaming of this thread to include new buying plans in title.

Cheers,

Robert
Edit:
With 12 book roll over, looks like Platinum Yearly is a better deal than Ultimate Listener -- $0.45 less per audio book and no additional cost for NYT or WSJ subscription. Negative is having to lay out $229.50 for 24 credits vs $119.95 for 12 credits on front end. Clever marketing that works for the customer.

Last edited by robert; 12-05-2005 at 12:51 AM.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:28 AM

Actually, "My Next Listen" appears to have gone away as well (or if it's still there, I can't seem to find it). Perhaps with the ability to roll-over audiobook credits they decided they didn't need it?

Having been an Audible member for about four years, I'm still "grandfathered in" on the old "SeriousListener" plan, but for the first time I'm contemplating switching away from that.

My current plan offers five audiobook credits per month and one subscription all for $29.95, but of course there's no roll-over at all. I rarely consume five audiobooks per month, and sometimes don't even get around to downloading my quota (although this is where "My Next Listen" was great, as I could queue up about 20-30 books that I wanted to add to my collection and just let the Audible site auto-purchase them for me each month).

On the other hand, the Platinum program is $7/month less, and with the ability to rollover credits might finally make some sense.

One thing I really like about the new site, however, is the redesigned "My Library" section and the ability to download multiple books in one click. As I would frequently accumulate a dozen audiobooks that I hadn't downloaded, it used to be a real pain to log on to Audible and grab my new content, since each download was a separate process, that involved having to go through a couple of pages each time.

Old 12-08-2005, 10:14 PM

Junior Lounger

The site is frustratingly SLOW.
Also I wish audible had placed the contents of "My Next Listen" back into "My Wishlist". I had a book in there queued for a Christmas present for my wife. I cannot recal the name of it and now will have to ask her and spoil the surprise :-(
Old 12-08-2005, 11:56 PM

Pro Lounger

well, you're in luck. from what I've read, they saved everyones My Next Listen selections and will be adding that back to the site in a couple days.

I think the site is getting a double whammy of Christmas season plus people spending extra time exploring the new site. But you can save yourself time by using tabbed browsing links (Firefox) or open new window in IE. Also, the checkout and download process is cut by 90%. I bet the new site will be pretty fast, once people settle down from playing with the new site.

P

fka parannoya
New! 4Gig Nano
iPod: 15 gig 3G with 2.1 / 6G iPod Mini / Shuffle-512mb

iTunes for Win 4.6 (w/Audible Download Helper plug-in)
Computer: Win XP

Last edited by Podunk; 12-09-2005 at 12:00 AM.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:21 PM

Wish List now 20 titles per page. Hooray!!!

Audible listens to its customers or the beta version improves on its own. Wish list now 20 titles/page long, quite an improvement. Retains cover art. Very nice audible. Thank you!!!!

Next Listen is back for those of you who use it.

Last edited by robert; 12-11-2005 at 09:57 PM.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:20 AM

Junior Lounger

Excellent, thanks for re instating the Next Listen. And my criticisms about the site speed were unfounded. Was in Honolulu for a week connecting via a hotels in room LAN and the speed was terribly slow and I realise now, throttled. But now back home on my regular cable connection and the site speed and download speed is as good as gold. Thnx Audible..
Old 12-13-2005, 06:59 AM

Audible Listener Plan. 1 free credit, 30% off, $9.95

AudibleListener®
Join AudibleListener for one year and receive the following benefits, plus one free audio credit as our thanks for joining:
Save 30% every day on all audiobooks and programs not purchased with audio credits
The New Releases Sampler - including free samples from 10-12 upcoming audio programs
Channel Audio - featuring free samples from audio programs hand-picked by our editorial staff
Get one year for just $9.95!

Topic: Redesigned Audible.Com site and Attractive New buying plan

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.