Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Audible + iPod User's Guide

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 11-18-2005, 05:09 PM

Junior Lounger

Hi, I'd like to propose an amendment to your point 3, where you talk about using 3rd party software and maybe ending up with conflicts? I don't think you can use 3rd part at all any more - Audible has tied it up. Certainly if you're mad enough to use and iPod with Win98se anyway which means not being able to use iTunes. Their email to me said
Quote:
Unfortunalety, we no longer supports Anapod or FPod. Apple made it impossible to use our files with a third party software.
cheers

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 11-23-2005, 11:57 AM

Junior Lounger

Hello,

Sorry to include this issue but I'm a new Ipod user. I've just purchased the 5G 60GB Ipod and i've managed to convert my mp3 audiobooks into m4b file. I've successfully uploaded it into my ipod whereby I can see the particular audiobook file under the "Audiobook" section.

For example, i've converted "Chapter 1" into the "Audiobook" section but how do I create a subfolder under it? I was thinking if there are any possible way if i can create "Story Book A" under the "Audiobook" section and my "Chapter 1" will be under the folder of "Story Book A". Please advise me.

Thank you !
Old 11-23-2005, 04:00 PM

Pro Lounger

This thread is specific to Audible.com files. For using .m4b files that you created yourself, your question would be better answered in one of the threads discussing converted files.

P

fka parannoya
New! 4Gig Nano
iPod: 15 gig 3G with 2.1 / 6G iPod Mini / Shuffle-512mb

iTunes for Win 4.6 (w/Audible Download Helper plug-in)
Computer: Win XP
Old 02-01-2006, 03:26 PM

Freshman Lounger

Audible doubt

Hello Friends

I hope I am posting in the correct thread. There is one point I would like to clarify regarding Audible.

How many Ipod's can we load our Audible tracks ? Someone mentioned that it can be loaded in only 2 or 3 pod's.

Is that for entire lifetime or is it at any given point of time ?

I am on my second Ipod so will it lock when I use third or fourth time ? I had de-authorised my previous ipod before selling it.

Will be grateful for any help

Rishi
Old 08-01-2007, 05:26 PM

Freshman Lounger

m4a to m4b on vista

i've just purchased a laptop and i'm wondering how you go about changing audiobooks from .m4a to .m4b on windows vista? there's no tools option in the folders with vista.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:07 PM

Freshman Lounger

Assistance with Audible files playign in iPod needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynebair View Post
Well that explains my question. I'd never seen an audiobooks folder on my iPod before yet everyone kept talking about it. The problem...I have a 3g iPod. Does anyone know if there will be a firmware update to include this feature for those of us using older iPods?
I emailed Audible because the files I purchased weren't playing on my iPod. I wanted to be sure I wasn't overlooking anything. they said,

Dear Cristina,
I'm sorry that you are unable to listen to "The Help" on your iPod. First, I would like for you to restart the iPod by holding down the Menu and Select buttons at the same time. Once the iPod is on, try to play the audio book. If you are still unable to play it, I would like you to delete the files from the iPod and then transfer them again. Below is a link to steps on deleting the files from your iPod:
Adding Audible Content to your iPod (PC)
Please let us know if you are still unable to listen to the book on your iPod.
Sincerely,
Brian J.
Audible Customer Support

Before emailing Audible I had already:
1) Reset my iPod by simultaneously pressing the Menu and Select buttons. Still didn't play on iPod.

2) Removed files from my iPod, reset it again, & reloaded the files. Still didn't play on iPod.

3) Deleted the files from my iPod, iTunes library, & pc. Redownloaded the files from Audible, placed them in iTunes library, & resynced iPod. Still didn't play on iPod.

Yep, the files still don't play on my iPod, but do play in iTunes.

Do you all have any recommendations?

Thanks,
Cristina

files downloaded in format 4
iPod - 3rd gen, version 2.3
iTunes - version 9.2.1.5
Computer: - Windows XP Pro, version 2002, SP 2

Last edited by CristinaA; 08-24-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:56 PM

Freshman Lounger

There are lots of errors of fact in this article now, as it is quite old.
MP3 audiobooks are handled equally as well as the others now.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:12 AM

Actually, while your'e mostly correct, that's not entirely true. Although you can set any MP3 file to be an audiobook now (this changed in iTunes 8) such that it shows up in the audiobooks section, and you've been able to make any audio file "bookmarkable" since iTunes 7, you still need to use third-party software to add chapter markers in the audiobook, which are a common feature of larger/longer audiobooks.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:32 AM

I assume by "like Audible files" you're referring to displaying in the books section, remembering playback position and having chapter markers?

For the first two options, you can now adjust these directly in iTunes. Simply select the imported audiobook track and choose File, Get Info to open the track properties. On the "Options" tab you'll see a drop-down where you can set the "Media Kind" to Audiobook and toggle on the "Remember Playback Position" setting.

You can also combine multiple tracks from a CD into a single imported track by highlighting them all before importing the CD and choosing Advanced, Join CD Tracks. This will import them all as a single file, although you won't get any chapter markers like Audible and iTunes Store audiobooks have. To add the chapter markers you'll need a third-party app such as MarkAble and Chapter Master for Windows or Audiobook Builder for Mac.

Topic: Audible + iPod User's Guide

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.