Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Audible + iPod User's Guide

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 04-21-2005, 11:07 AM

Pro Lounger

Tabbed browsing Audible.com w/Firefox

I'm sure a few of you will appreciate this. I've installed it and its fantastic.

http://roub.net/blahg/archives/geeky/audible/

Until Audible improves their website, this will at least make navigation their website more efficient. It lets you open pages in new windows/tabs. It lets you browse a lot faster because you don't have to wait to go BACK every time. And you can open the second page in a sorted list without losing the results of the first query.

fka parannoya

iPod: 15 gig 3G with 2.1 / 6G iPod Mini / Shuffle-512mb

iTunes for Win 4.6 (w/Audible Download Helper plug-in)
Computer: Win XP

fka parannoya
New! 4Gig Nano

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 06-16-2005, 03:13 PM

Freshman Lounger

Red face NY Public Library audiobooks?

does anyone know of a fix or shareware app that allows you to download NY Public Library audiobooks to a Mac based iPod?

They appear to require a windows only application called OverDrive Media Console. here's a link to the new section on the libraries website: nypl.org
Old 06-16-2005, 11:36 PM

Pro Lounger

there is a seperate (and recent) thread on this already.

fka parannoya
New! 4Gig Nano

Old 07-23-2005, 01:33 AM

Junior Lounger

I must be losing it. I'm scouring the Audible site looking for whatever plug-in I need to download to use Audible with iTunes 4.9 for my Mac, and all I can find is the following:

Download the Audible Otis plug-in
Download the palm OS5 plug-in
Download the Rio plug-in for Forge & Carbon

What should I be looking for here? I guess I'm just not understanding!

thanks!
Old 07-23-2005, 05:34 AM

Pro Lounger

Bat-Hound,

You don't need any plug-in to download from Audible to your Mac. Downloads will just get added to your iTunes Library automatically if you check Copy Files to iTunes Music folder when adding to Library under the advanced panel of your iTunes preferences.

On PCs you can either use the Audible Manager (which predated iTunes for Windows) with its Download Helper plug-in or iTunes. The advantage to using the Audible Manager over iTunes is in burning multiple CDs for audiobooks -- the process is more automated with the Audible Manager. Assuming that you don't want to take control of start and stop times to ensure that chapters, etc. break nicely, the Audible Manager will set up all the start and stop times for each successive CD. So if you were on a PC and had the Audible Manager you'd still probably download through iTunes, but keep the option of using the Audible Manager to burn your CDs.
Old 07-23-2005, 09:04 AM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by moriond
Bat-Hound,

You don't need any plug-in to download from Audible to your Mac.
Thanks, moriond! That's exactly what I wanted to know!
Old 08-19-2005, 03:53 PM

Freshman Lounger

Darn

Well that explains my question. I'd never seen an audiobooks folder on my iPod before yet everyone kept talking about it. The problem...I have a 3g iPod. Does anyone know if there will be a firmware update to include this feature for those of us using older iPods?
Old 08-19-2005, 04:07 PM

Pro Lounger

raynebair--

The last firmware for 3g's (version 2.3) does add an audiobook menu to the main menu. If I remember correctly after installing the firmware, you do have to go into settings and turn the audiobook menu on.

dordale
Old 08-19-2005, 06:30 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks! I just updated so I'll be checking it out.
Old 09-03-2005, 05:42 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by blue_maffu_202
Is there a way to take audio books on CD, rip them, and make them work like Audible files?
Originally posted by Podunk
blue, I added a sentence to the section above to try to clarify. The short answer is no.
That is no longer true with PodCasting features.

Interested in details ?
Old 09-03-2005, 07:42 PM

Pro Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by ygor
Quote:
Originally posted by blue_maffu_202
Is there a way to take audio books on CD, rip them, and make them work like Audible files?
Quote:
Originally posted by Podunk
blue, I added a sentence to the section above to try to clarify. The short answer is no.
That is no longer true with PodCasting features.

Interested in details ?
Right now this solution only works for Macs, but it's true that you can even "go one better" if you make your own audiobooks, since you can choose to embed images, and even links to relevant web pages, too, in addition to chapter markers.

Does anyone who has purchased recently released audiobooks from the iTunes Music Store know whether these show up with the new chapter marks labels? (That is, are they labelled with tags like Chapter 1, Chapter 2? The Free iPod Book and Back to School Guide (currently at the top of this forum page) implies they do, and the sample teaser for Paolini's Eldest at the iTunes Music Store is laid out that way.

It's a pity that users cannot separately customize the chaptertool information of these audiobooks from Audible and the iTMS the way one can for homemade audiobooks.

Incidentally, this may be another difference between iTMS and Audible to be added to Podunk's Guide: Audible doesn't have any plans to change their chapter marker system. You can still navigate to chapter breaks with the shift-control-right[or left] arrow keys (for PCs; Macs use shift-command-right[or left] arrow) in iTunes, but the chapter breaks won't show up with the small pull-down widget that shows up next to the main time-display window as an alternate way to navigate.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:28 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Right now this solution only works for Macs, but it's true that you can even "go one better" if you make your own audiobooks, since you can choose to embed images, and even links to relevant web pages, too, in addition to chapter markers.
Do you mean that PodCasts do not work in Windows iTunes/iPods or are you referring to the Chapter Tool Beta ?
Old 09-04-2005, 12:33 AM

Pro Lounger

Quote:
Quote:
Right now this solution only works for Macs. . .
Do you mean that PodCasts do not work in Windows iTunes/iPods or are you referring to the Chapter Tool Beta ?
I was referring to the fact that ChapterTool beta is currently only available for Macs, although a Windows version is coming.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:34 PM

Senior Lounger

Quote:

I was referring to the fact that ChapterTool beta is currently only available for Macs, although a Windows version is coming.
[/QUOTE]

Late to the game here, but just want to confirm where things stand now. As a Windows user (and a future 5G iPod owner), is it in any way possible at this point for me to rip my audio book/radio drama/spoken word CDs in such a way that they will appear under the Audio Book menu on the iPod and/or contain chapter stops, embedded images, etc.?

I've read of the solution of creating a smart playlist excluding these genres for shuffle purposes, etc., but it's an inelegant solution compared to having all of this content under a separate menu heading.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:35 PM

Senior Lounger

Quote:

[/QUOTE]

Late to the game here, but just want to confirm where things stand now. As a Windows user (and a future 5G iPod owner), is it in any way possible at this point for me to rip my audio book/radio drama/spoken word CDs in such a way that they will appear under the Audio Book menu on the iPod and/or contain chapter stops, embedded images, etc.?

I've read of the solution of creating a smart playlist excluding these genres for shuffle purposes, etc., but it's an inelegant solution compared to having all of this content under a separate menu heading.

Topic: Audible + iPod User's Guide

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.