Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Export List of iPhone Apps (Applications)?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 12-31-2008, 06:05 PM

Freshman Lounger

Question Export List of iPhone Apps (Applications)?

Since the iPod touch has supported 3rd party apps, I have been accumulating them at an alarming rate. For a number of reasons, I would like to able to generate a list of all applications in my iTunes library as a text file (or similar).

I have been experimenting with a number of Doug's scripts for exporting lists, but I haven't found one that generates a list of apps.

One thing that I did find was that iTunes itself will let me print a "song list" of apps, which I can open in Preview and select the text, which leaves me to clean out the headings, but I'd sure like something more automated...

I have rudimentary AS skills, but I can't find any indication that the list of iPhone applications is a "playlist" or "library" of any kind.

Any suggestions?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 12-31-2008, 06:51 PM

Veteran Lounger

AFAIK there's no Applescript in iTunes specifically for iPhones; so no joy there. Don't have an iPhone, so not sure what this list is that you're able to print...but if it's a regular list like any playlist, you can also just select every item in the list, copy, and paste into word processor or spreadsheet app.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:32 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks for the reply.

The select all + copy-n-paste doesn't work for Applications in iTunes. Unlike just about everything else... :-(

If you want to play around with this in Applescript, you could simply "buy" a free iphone app or two from the iTunes store - I don't think you have to have an iphone or touch to buy apps - just an iTunes account. The purchased Apps then show up under a new "Applications" item in the sidebar under Library.

The "print song list to PDF" option may be the best available at this time. Kind of maddening considering how broad AS support is within iTunes...

Thanks again.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:37 PM

Freshman Lounger

Export App List

FYI, I used the "print song list to PDF" then did a copy-past into Excel where I was able to re-categorize and sort...

BTW, I had about 200 apps, and iTunes crashed about half-way through re-arranging (probably b/c all of the changes were buffered & not saved).

On the second attempt, I re-synched after resetting each screen, and did not experience any crashes.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:27 PM

Freshman Lounger

My solution

While this is not technically exporting it from iTunes, I think it has the same effect.
  1. Go to Your home folder ~/Music/iTunes/Mobile Applications folder.
  2. You should see all the applications that are in iTunes.
  3. Make sure they are sorted alphabetically in list view.
  4. Select them all (cmd+A) and copy them (cmd+C).
  5. Open a real text editor (like Smultron) and not TextEdit.app that comes with OS X (This is really a rich text editor and does things you don't want).
  6. Paste into a new document (cmd+V) and you should see all your applications in a list.
  7. If they all end in ".ipa" you can do a find and replace (cmd+F) for ".ipa" and leaving the replace field black and clicking the 'Replace All' button.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:42 AM

Freshman Lounger

iTunes Apps to Excel

On a PC, download all your apps into the iTunes Media/Mobile Applications folder. Click on "Apps" in the iTunes sidebar to see them all.

Click on the detailed view and right-click on the column header row to add any information rows that you'd like in Excel (such as release date, seller, version, size in megabytes, etc). Make sure to drag the column header row separation lines to make sure there's enough room to print the longer app/seller names in this report.

Now select all apps and print to text using the generic Windows print to file option. You'll need to specify the "Song Listing" view rather than "Album" or "Jewel Case", and under the Themes drop down select the "Custom" option.

Click OK and the general Print dialog box comes up - leave the margins as low as possible and select Legal or Custom paper size to fit all the characters this wide report might generate. Also tick the Print to File checkbox and hit OK.

A Print to File dialog box comes up and prompts for a file name - however, in Windows 7 64-bit, simply putting a filename like Apps would result in trying to write a file to the root C drive, which is forbidden for security concerns. Instead, type an entire path, such as C:\temp\apps.txt - you should then be able to manually open the file in Notepad, delete out the page number/header lines to make one continuous report, and then import into Excel.

Kind of a PITA - but I hope this helps somebody. H/t to mrarnie at Tom's Hardware for cluing me into the filename/root path error because Win7's error box was completely generic.

Topic: Export List of iPhone Apps (Applications)?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.