Tags Quality Control, Need help exporting smart playlist criteria with nested folders - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Tags Quality Control, Need help exporting smart playlist criteria with nested folders

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 05-11-2007, 06:13 AM

Freshman Lounger

Lightbulb Tags Quality Control, Need help exporting smart playlist criteria with nested folders

The Situation
I've created a collection of smart playlists that help me find a lot of common errors and typos in my ID3 Tags. You'd be surprised how many people suffer from having smart playlists that do not work correctly for them because they have acquired a lot of errors in theirs ID3 tags from CDDB or simply by their own bad typing skills.

My smart playlists will help to find such common errors thus aiding in correcting them resulting in better quality of your tags hence improving the quality of your own smart playlists and give better search results in iTunes. There is absolutely no magic involved as everybody could create these smart playlists by themselves.

To give you an example they look something like this:
  • iTunes SOURCES
    • Tag Quality Control Checklists
      • Incorrect Spaces
        • Name begins with a Space
        • Name ends with a Space
        • Name contains multiple consecutive Spaces
      • Typographical errors
        • Name contains Accent instead of Apostrophe '
        • Name contains ( but lacks )
Of course there are many more things these playlists allow you to easily check.

Usage
When you click on the Incorrect Spaces folder you get all the tracks that match any of the smart playlists nested within that folder, even if in another subfolder.
This helps a lot to quickly check for errors after having imported new music from your CDs by simply activating the Tag Quality Control Checklists folder which will give you all tracks that contain at least one error in the tags.
It also help to narrow down the exact kind of typo or error by nesting down into the folders. This then allows you to use one of Doug's scripts or other AppleScripts that automate certain work on tags.

The Problem
I have a hard time to export those smart playlists in their current form. They are collected in several nested folders and this folder structure is quite benefical to the way a user can work with these playlists.

I know about Doug's AppleScripts for iTunes and expecially the Export Smart Playlist Criteria v1.2 scripts come in quite handy here. They only lack a way to keep the folder structure. They allow me to export a bunch of XML files that can be reimported manually but the user needs to create the folder structure by hand which is a whole lot of uncomfortable work. iTunes 7 also does some weird things when importing XML Playlist files that are quite likely to confuse a user.

I've invested a good bunch of time into creating these playlists and I guess they might help others to correct their tags as well, so I'd like to find a way to easily export them allowing me to share my work and also to easily reimport them to iTunes keeping the folder structure of the playlists.

I've already searched the forums here and in other places as well as googled around the interwebs without stumbling upon a viable solution besides writing some scripts by myself. I am personally not really comfortable with writing AppleScript *yuck* and hope to find someone willing to jump in and fill the gap.

I'm working with iTunes 7.1.1 (5) on Mac OS X 10.4.9 (8P135) only on PPC Macs at the moment. The solution should work natively on PPC and intel Macs of course. I personally do not care about Windows, but if someone has a way to correctly import those nested folders with XML smart playlists on Windows as well I will not object. :-)

Sorry for the lengthy post.
Best Regards
MacLemon

Topic: Tags Quality Control, Need help exporting smart playlist criteria with nested folders

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.